News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tone Stack

Started by estch71, August 22, 2013, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

estch71

Hey,

I've seen layouts for tone stacks and, while I know this is only a stompbox forum, I'm looking to incorporate a tone stack into my amp.  Here's the schematic - the tone section is outlined in red.  I was also looking to add the valvecaster into the preamp section as well.

Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

mistahead

Sounds like a plan bro.

Gettoeeeet!  :icon_wink:

estch71

Thanks.  I was also wondering how I could accomplish either of or both tasks.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

GibsonGM

1) decide what you want your circuit to do. I mean that literally...boost, then tone shape?  Or shape the tone and then boost (that's what I'd do...).   After that part, do you then go on to a clipping stage?  How do you want to shape your tone after that?  Then you have the output section.

2) Once you have 'the plan', I would build everything I want on a separate PCB.  Then, either switch in or hard wire to the input/output connections you have identified at the boundaries of your red box above.     You will, of course, need to identify what the available voltage is for those transistors and design around this.   And you'll need to figure out if your existing power supply can handle running the Valvecaster (careful application of jumper wires may be in order!  BE CAREFUL). 

What I am personally seeing as getting you near your stated goals is: 
Input > opamp buffer > tone stack > buffer/recovery > boost (valvecaster) > rest of amp (inverter).   Easy as pie to board this up with small real estate cost.

Gonna have to see how the following circuitry likes the Valvecaster, I think, but can be tweaked to taste.

Neat project!       
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...