skyripper questions.

Started by Nyklus, August 26, 2013, 10:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyklus

I picked up this pedal from craigslist.
its called a gagan skyripper. know anything about it. I'll attach pictures.
anyways a few questions.

what would these trimpots do??
also why is it that the one spot dc adaptor wont work with this pedal.

slacker

Search the forum for skyripper and you'll find schematics and loads of info about it.
It's a positive ground pedal so it won't work with a power supply if that is also powering negative ground pedals. Needs its own power supply or run it off a battery.

digi2t

Like slacker said, this is a PNP pedal, so it needs the power supply to be positive ground.

As for the trimpots, one is to set the Q2 voltage (Range), -6.8v to -7.1v is recommended. The other two are to set the voltage for Q4 collector, when switching the Rip Bias switch. The voltages are -4.5v to -5.3v with the switch closed, and -1v with the switch open. The -1v being the more critical of the two. Adjusting them tends to be a bit of a dance between the two trimmers, requiring switching often between the two positions to verify how one adjustment has affected the other.

Also, I recommend a dedicated (high quality) power supply for it. Firstly to minimize any noise issues, and secondly to assure that your Q4 voltages remain stable. If powering it off a brick (like I do), I make sure that it`s always plugged into the same output, since there is some minor variations between outputs. I tuned mine to that particular output, at 9.08v.

Fantastic pedal. Has a permanent spot on my pedalboard.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

joegagan

we have no way of knowing how this is built.

no offense, but you guys are answering the Qs as if you know what is inside the pedal.

in my opinion , the answers should be given with a huge disclaimer - " we don't know how this was built, but if it is made correctly it would be,   or do- 'X' "

thanks for the props, digi2.

i found an expired CL post from a guy named lou, phone number xxx xx 6321, seattle. if he built it, his workmanship is not gagan approved, even tho he used my name to sell his 'clone'
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

there is no dual gang pot that i can see. i did not design it with a rotary switch with a bunch of caps and resistors.
at best, this could maybe be called a halfskyripper.
guy should have just called it something else.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

digi2t

Joe, you`re absolutely correct. I should have put a disclaimer on my shpeel, or at the very least a big IF. I was simply quoting the published numbers from the approved schematic.

Let me rephrase my previous statement as well; The REAL Skyripper is a fantastic pedal.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

joegagan

talked to lou, the seller of said pedal. he said it was built by a guy named mike, who has died apparently. :icon_frown:

but lou had great things to say about our resident john lyons, he bought a basic audio scarab pedal and is mightily impressed.

Nyklus

yeah, i probably wouldnt have bought it hadnt it said skyripper, that name really defines the kind of fuzz i was after though. and i got it.  :icon_exclaim:

joegagan

nyklus, thanks for the update.

glad you got the pedal.

Nyklus

I'm interested in how to silence the switch on the pedal. its poppy and i was wondering if that could be solved by a resistor across the bypassed portion of the switch, or a resistor to ground?
if so what value should i use?

joegagan

1 meg to ground at switch hot to ground. They should already be there. One at each footswitch is what the schematic shows. Without having pedal fully traced as to what guy actually built, not much i can say.
I will wire it up to my specs for one thousand dollars. Or sell you a new one for 600. Not kidding.

Gus

Nyklus
If I understand your posts
You tried to power a -9VDC effect with a +9VDC power supply?

Did the effect pop before you powered it up with the one spot?

Nyklus

Yes gus, well i used to have this pedal plugged in with my one spot, but for what ever reason it just wont work in my daisy chain. So im using a lithium 9v. and, i will try the 1m to ground unless anyone has any other ideas.

Nyklus

:icon_redface:

ok, i know the bottom right of the dpts is the hot, am i adding th 1M between there and the ground of the output?? IE where the black wire goes?

joegagan

sorry to keep sounding like i am being negative. trying to help but we do not have enough information about what you have.
i just have to keep saying it. there is almost no way we can advise you unless you trace the entire thing out. your question has no reference point.

the original skyripper did not have a wire from the input jack to the dpdt switch. again, we do not know whether the guy did this or not.
we are just guessing.

if the guy followed the schematic, there should be 1 meg resistors to ground at every key place it needs them. i think i said that already.

do the basics that we do at this site as beginners, learn to read the schematics, learn to build an audio probe, learn take readings with a voltmeter etc so that we can at least determine some basics of what you are asking.