Taptation Question?

Started by pappasmurfsharem, August 28, 2013, 11:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

Can the taptation controll any pot function within reason?

We recently built my cousin the Earthquakerdevices Hummingbird.

Love this effect smooth tremolo to choppy "slow attack" ramps. Love it.

It would be much nicer with a tap tempo. The rate knob is just a variable resistor in this build.

I'm not sure if the tap tempo just changes the value of the digital pot or if it does something else.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

slacker

Yeah the taptation just changes the value of the digipot, it's designed so that the resistance of the digipot gives the correct delay time from the PT2399 to match the tempo you just tapped. If you try and use it to control an LFO or some other circuit you might be able to get it to change the speed depending on what you tap but it won't match the tempo. The other problem is it is probably too fast for a tremolo, the range of tapped tempos matches what a PT2399 will do so it's limited to a second or so.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: slacker on August 29, 2013, 12:48:36 PM
Yeah the taptation just changes the value of the digipot, it's designed so that the resistance of the digipot gives the correct delay time from the PT2399 to match the tempo you just tapped. If you try and use it to control an LFO or some other circuit you might be able to get it to change the speed depending on what you tap but it won't match the tempo. The other problem is it is probably too fast for a tremolo, the range of tapped tempos matches what a PT2399 will do so it's limited to a second or so.

I guess is there any real option then? Or would I have to program a controller to match the relative tempo of the tremolo?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."