Marshall Supa Fuzz Clone using Rixen Enclosure

Started by supa_fuzz, August 31, 2013, 06:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supa_fuzz

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I'd first just like to introduce myself and congratulate everyone on contributing to a very useful and interesting forum. 

I've just completed my first fuzz pedal clone using a Rixen pedal enclosure http://www.rixenpedals.com/.  I chose this because its a local guy here in Christchurch who makes them and I like supporting that sort of venture.

My first choice of fuzz clone is a Marshall Supa Fuzz.  I'm a big Black Keys fan and Dan Auerbach apparently used this on the El Camino album and other previous ventures.  It's also an advantage that this circuit can easily be modified to be a Tone Bender Mk II like Jimmy Page used in the first Led Zeppelin album.  I used the schematic at http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/marshall-supa-fuzz.html

I tried to keep everything about the appearance of the pedal as close to the original as possible (apart from the shape obviously).  I also added a gain knob for biassing the third transistor as suggested in the link above but I haven't wired it in yet.

Here are the pics. 

I know this circuit looks messy but it was my first crack at any type of circuitry and I didn't want any wires too short!  I learnt a lot from doing this and I'm confident my next build will be a lot tidier!

If you like the look of the Rixen enclosures then get in touch with the guy who makes them.  He's full of knowledge and very keen to help.  I'd recommend them for a first time pedal builder.  The only things you have to buy are the circuit components (minus foot switch) once you have the enclosure kit.

Thanks for having a look, hope to have another build to show you in the near future. 

MrStab

welcome to the forum :)
looks great - miles better than my first (and current) builds. cool enclosure & decals, too. looks like it came straight from the Marshall factory. i try to make my offboard wiring a tiny bit longer than needs be - in case i  screw up the stripping and also in case i wanna reroute them for any mods. the "Pictures!" thread is full of ideas for wiring: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.0 , though i appreciate it's probably a bit of a different ballgame in that kind of enclosure.

keep up the good work!
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

duck_arse

that is a nice looking box, and just across the ditch, you say?

if you going to use that box more often, you can make a dummy panel from something, even cardboard will do, and mark your mounting holes on it. then you can wire it with plenty of room to manuouver (sp?), no sides, and get your leads just long enough to reach. you can then have the whole thing wired and tested before you put it in the box.

and welcome.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

LucifersTrip

Welcome (I have to welcome anyone who'd build a germanium Supa Fuzz as their first).

The enclosure does look cool. Kind of like a way better looking Boss pedal.

One little warning...
[from the link you posted]

"Suggested mods
Fuzz Central suggest the following mods and the trimmer would seem like a good idea to me to accurately bias Q3"

Fuzz central is notorious for burning loads of builders on the MKII's by posting the wrong voltages. Q3C should be in the 7.5v - 8.5v+ range.
In addition, it is usually considered better practice to put the trimmer on Q2. If you trim Q3 too much, you'll change the overall sound too much.

good luck
always think outside the box

Arcane Analog

Quote from: LucifersTrip on September 01, 2013, 05:16:15 PM

Fuzz central is notorious for burning loads of builders on the MKII's by posting the wrong voltages. Q3C should be in the 7.5v - 8.5v+ range.
In addition, it is usually considered better practice to put the trimmer on Q2. If you trim Q3 too much, you'll change the overall sound too much.

Any ideas as to why has this not been revised on Fuzz Central? It is hard enough for new builders to get a pedal working properly let alone having misinformation hamper the build.

LucifersTrip

They're stubborn?  ...or don't bother checking their email or guestbook?   I've written to them numerous times over the years with no response.

Maybe if we get someone who knows them personally to drop em a line.

edit (5th one down):
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/guestbook.php?page=5

supa_fuzz

Thanks for all the kind words about the project!

QuoteOne little warning...
[from the link you posted]

"Suggested mods
Fuzz Central suggest the following mods and the trimmer would seem like a good idea to me to accurately bias Q3"

This is a golden nugget of information thank you!  Are there simple known changes you can make to that circuit in the link to rectify these voltages?  Also, which resistor would I replace with the trimmer to trim Q2?

LucifersTrip

psychedelicfish

Those boxes do look nice, but they're nearly $50. Good to know they exist in case I want a nice box for something.
If at first you don't succeed... use bigger transistors!

supa_fuzz

Thanks LT.  They do cost a bit more but there are some subtle advantages to these boxes.  For those that have a good handle on running wires and keeping a job tidy you can actually cram a lot of componentry in and there are two levels with a gap in between to mount two separate boards if you want to.  And let's face it, putting it all together is still cheaper than buying a new pedal!  Cheers!

smallbearelec

Quote from: psychedelicfish on September 02, 2013, 04:28:24 AM
Those boxes do look nice, but they're nearly $50....

It looks to be very nicely done, and I admire the guy's patriotism in getting it made in his home country. However, economic realities get in the way of making a project like this a business success. At what he is charging, I figure that either:

--He got made a relatively small lot, Or
--He is trying to get his tooling costs back all at once

and maybe some of both.

IMO and experience, you need to be able to tolerate the commercial risk of making a large enough run to hammer the unit cost down. Even then, you can't expect to get your tooling costs back immediately. And, realistically, you still need to get the pieces made where labor costs are lowest.

I have been through this twice, first with the 125-B and now with the Bare Box #1. The 125-B was a no-brainer to get cloned, because an inferior version was already in wide use. My version of it has been extremely successful, and the tooling was paid for very quickly. The Bare Box #1 has sold some, but has not yet blown my walls out--not entirely surprising, because making use of this kind of enclosure requires the willingness and ability to design a board that's friendly to it; most commercial pedal-makers have made large investments of time and money in their designs, and it really takes an earthquake to induce them to consider a new platform. I'm approaching the problem by coming up with some of my own pedal designs while continuing to market my idea to the boutiques. I think Mr. Rixen has the same marketing problem; will be interesting to see what direction he takes to deal with it.