Super Six Tone control Help ??

Started by HOTTUBES, September 02, 2013, 03:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

I built this circuit for fun , and it sounds not bad , but it's common knowledge that this layout has an issue with the tone control .
Is there any help for this circuit ? Can it be fixed ?
There is almost no noticeable difference in the sweep of the tone pot ... otherwise a nice little booster !

Thanks for any help !!

Gus

Link a schematic  I googled and found one http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/lovepedal-super-6.html

layouts are next to useless for getting help.

Looks like a SHO but with low value bias resistors and others have posted(IIRC AG) about the gain control to remove the crackle.  No input stability/protection resistor and it uses low value resistors(1.5meg feedback/bias) with a mosfet?  Why even use a mosfet?

3.3K drain and a 100k tone and 100K volume control, Why?

Kipper4

I built this recently and there is almost no noticable sweep on the tone control.
I even socketed one of the caps and did some trials but wasnt happy with the results.
Jon pointed out that it was not much more than an Electra distortion with clipping diodes or sum such.
Other than that not bad for a low parts build.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

slacker

The vero layout has 10n output and "tone" caps as opposed to 100n in the schematic, don't know which is correct, probably doesn't make much difference. You could try making the cap in parallel with the tone pot much smaller, then it will act a bit like a treble bleed cap on a guitar, it probably still won't do much though.

GibsonGM

I see this sometimes in tube circuits, usually as a tone modifier between gain stages (hard wired, no pot).   I can see where there would be little effect from it.  Short of putting in something like the "SWTC", I'd probably just do what Slacker suggests and use it to bleed treble - or rig it up to bleed BASS, and get yourself a treble boost.     Simple = not too effective, usually...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

gjcamann

To me this looks more like the http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm, which is kind of based on the SHO.
The intensity pot actually does lots of tone control, as you lower the value, you boosting the hi-mids and above. You'll notice that as you turn up the intensity knob, you'll get alot more volume but also less lows.
So IMHO, there's isn't much point in adding a tone pot.
You could put a pot and cap in series to ground on the output to give you a high cut tone control, but i've never noticed these pedals needing that.
For these circuits, I love putting some switchable clipping diodes on the output - so you have a boost with switchable distortion, and it actually sounds damn good!.

Plexi

Any idea of which is the 'magic' under the Super 6 Stevie mod?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.