switching between an LM386 and JFets in a pedal

Started by estch71, September 03, 2013, 12:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

estch71

Crazy question.  I'm looking to combine the aspects of both the Wampler Plexidrive and the Lovepedal 800 into a single build which will (hopefully) allow me to switch between using the IC and the jfets.  Is this at all possible?
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

garcho

QuoteI'm looking to combine the aspects of both the Wampler Plexidrive and the Lovepedal 800 into a single build which will (hopefully) allow me to switch between using the IC and the jfets.

Why?

QuoteIs this at all possible?

No.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

R.G.

Quote from: estch71 on September 03, 2013, 12:05:13 PM
Crazy question.  I'm looking to combine the aspects of both the Wampler Plexidrive and the Lovepedal 800 into a single build which will (hopefully) allow me to switch between using the IC and the jfets.  Is this at all possible?
Maybe, but the simplest way to do it is to build both pedals and switch between one and the other.

I'm not sure what you mean by "combine the aspects", and I'd guess this is why you got the "no" answers. It is major unlikely that you can simply swap one for the other in some kind of combined circuit without almost completely replicating both previous circuits.

But again, I'm not sure what you mean by "combine".
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

musiclikscreams

you could always just build 2 completely separate circuits and switch between them... that seems like your best option

estch71

I had seen a few pedals that were able to switch between transistors (Ger. and Si) so, I thought there might be a slight chance it could happen, with a lot of remapping.  I'm going to go for the idea of putting both boards in one enclosure.  The question I have for this, based on previous attempts at putting two pedals into one enclosure, is dealing with the voltage.  Seeing that I'll be using a 9v adapter, should I use a voltage regulator or just use an 18v power supply?  Also, I'm guessing that I'll have to add a bypass switch in order to not only bypass the effect altogether, but also to change which one I want to be on before engaging the circuit - double LED on the effect side, single LED for the bypass switch.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

gjcamann

I think you could do it, and it might be interesting.

I've even read that the PP/Smashdrive works better with a buffer in front of it. Maybe you could use the first transistor from the PD as the buffer to the 386. You could also have them share the same tonestack and volume knobby (use the higher value of the two). Maybe they could even share the same input and output caps.

IMHO, I would guess, once you've built this, you would probably leave the switch in the PD and never use the PP  ;)

garcho

QuoteI had seen a few pedals that were able to switch between transistors (Ger. and Si)

For the most part, you want to tailor the circuit to the general type of transistor you're using. There can be a big difference between transistors so don't count on always being able to switch between Si and Ge like switching through different cap values.

QuoteThe question I have for this, based on previous attempts at putting two pedals into one enclosure, is dealing with the voltage.
What happened?

QuoteSeeing that I'll be using a 9v adapter, should I use a voltage regulator or just use an 18v power supply?

Think about a 'daisy chain' power supply, like our very own R.G.'s popular 'one spot' [long story, I know]. Every pedal is at 9V, each doing their own workload. The currents add up but the voltages stay the same (theoretically, and if its built right, like how the one spot is). Or a string of batteries. Say you plugged two 9V batteries in series, you get 18V, in parallel, you get 9V but twice the available current. If this stuff isn't familiar, consider checking out some basic electronics reading online. Like maybe this one.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pappasmurfsharem

Within reason you could build both gainstages and switch them while keeping the same tonestack.

That is assuming the tonestack works well with both pedals.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

estch71

I saw this diagram for placing two pedals in one housing.  I'm trying to incorporate a third 3PDT switch for a full bypass.  This way I can can switch between either pedal without having them both on at the same time.  Here's the diagram:

garcho

Go to this page and scroll down. Just replace send/return A and B with board A and B.

If you spring for a 4PDT (less than 10 bucks at Small Bear) you'll only need two switches: engage/disengage and swap.

Not to be a deflater, but you might want to consider trying to cram each one of these circuits into their own small enclosure. You can buy a new enclosure for the price of a 4PDT, or two 3PDTs. In my personal performing experience, there's little to be gained from putting two effects in one enclosure, other than saving a spot on the ol' daisy chain.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Thecomedian

I can see the appeal, given that you'd only have to carry around one unit, dont need as much instrument cable, dont need 2 wallwarts/batteries, etc. and the housing would be physically bigger so you wouldnt worry about missing it when u try to step on it (those really tiny housings seem like they go best with smaller feet than mine  :icon_wink: )
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.