Tone Freaks Severe

Started by Kipper4, September 03, 2013, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 05, 2013, 09:54:23 AM
OK, I'm just an idiot. I have no idea what I'm talking about and Derek, the owner of Tonefreak, didn't personally tell me what it's based on. And I never saw the actual schematic for it. And I made up that I was the one who built a couple of the pedals in his line up for almost three years, amounting to several hundred units. I'll let everyone continue on their path of misinformation.

Just for the record, there are two versions of the Severe that I know of between their inception and early 2011. The only difference between them was in what was used for clipping and that's it.

I'm a noob anyway so I really wouldn't know the difference.

But realistically though perhaps based on isn't the correct word here?

Someone could have designed their own CB variant without ever seeing a CB. So it wouldn't be "based" on it, but the topology can be the same, not saying that applies here of course.

but it's all semantics or is that schematics in this case?

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Kipper4 on September 05, 2013, 01:11:07 PM
I dont get it !!!!!!!!!
Is there a brawl going on?

Not a brawl, but in this case I know for a fact what the circuit topology is based on. I guess any opamp clipping distortion circuit will have some amount of similarities when compared with another one...

Kipper4

Because i made a hash of the first build.
I followed the seehere layout and built that tonight.
When I get time tommorow i'll solder up the pots and trial it mean time i'll keep trying.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

J0K3RX

I said the Crunch Box and the Severe were "similar" not "based on" anything or whatever else. To me the definition of similar is "resembling without being identical" or "having commonalities" just like the Crunch Box is very similar to the Marshall Gov'nor but, not exactly the same, obviously...  The 3 different versions I saw consisted of only differences in the clipping. They were various combinations of yellow LEDS, 1N4148, 1N34A and MOSFET 2N7000. The rest is the same on all three versions and all use the LM833. I see absolutely no reason to get angry here? Besides, this is old news... this box was traced years ago! Nothing new under the sun....  

By the way, I made my own layout and changed various parts the way I liked with tone controls "similar" to the gov'nor ... will not be posted here!
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 05, 2013, 08:40:27 PM

By the way, I made my own layout and changed various parts the way I liked with tone controls "similar" to the gov'nor ... will not be posted here!

Well that's not very friendly ;)

Kipper4

It's the dogs nuts.
I'm gonna build a modded one next.
Tremelo first though me thinks.
Thanks for all the help.

Grey Paper.

Paul Marossy

The 3 different versions I saw consisted of only differences in the clipping. They were various combinations of yellow LEDS, 1N4148, 1N34A and MOSFET 2N7000. The rest is the same on all three versions and all use the LM833.

The second version is the one with MOSFETs in it. Can't remember for sure what the original version used. I seem to remember it being 1N4148s and 1N34s. I didn't actually stuff the PCBs I just did all the wiring using stuffed PCBs sent to me, so I didn't pay real close attention. But I know for sure that ver. 2 had the MOSFETs because we had a discusion about it before he did it.

J0K3RX

Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 06, 2013, 11:01:09 PM
The 3 different versions I saw consisted of only differences in the clipping. They were various combinations of yellow LEDS, 1N4148, 1N34A and MOSFET 2N7000. The rest is the same on all three versions and all use the LM833.

The second version is the one with MOSFETs in it. Can't remember for sure what the original version used. I seem to remember it being 1N4148s and 1N34s. I didn't actually stuff the PCBs I just did all the wiring using stuffed PCBs sent to me, so I didn't pay real close attention. But I know for sure that ver. 2 had the MOSFETs because we had a discusion about it before he did it.

Got'cha :icon_wink: Yeah, I really wasn't sure which version was which... and I haven't actually tried the mosfet clipping in this box, yet. Like I said before, I really like it a lot more than a crunch box! Way more dynamic and touch responsive like I think you said. Has a really good feel to it and not your typical stiff opamp distortion at all! Great little box! I think the Crunch Box became the mainstream/standard box that everything was or is compared to. Probably due to marketing, lower price and other boxes like the Severe and a select few others just get over looked... I always like the Severe type design better than the CB and couldn't understand why it's not talked about more?? Kinda hidden in the massive flood of dirt boxes... There are so many now and I can't tell what box is based on what or who was first etc..? Just like the tube screamer, there are so many variants now ranging anywhere from $30 to $500 or more. Everybody is trying to get a piece of the action.. Nothing new, people have been doing it for years now. They change a few values here and there, leave off the buffers or whatever and then call it ___________ fill in the blank, sell it as something totally new and different, get some semi popular musician to do a demo and sell it for $300 and the sheep either eat it up or walk on to the next patch of grass... I like the Severe better than the Riot even just for shear feel, tone, gain and lower parts count! Great box!!
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Kipper4

Thanks guys
I love the touch responsiveness of this box and the epic harmonic content. It sounds great with a small solid state or a clean tube amp. It does get a little messy with chords when the gain is dimed but it has a sweet spot thats nowhere near dimed that sounds best for me.
Even I  rawk with this one!!!!!!
Inspiring
I still have some room on my board so, I think i'll do a switchable mosfet clippers right after the 2u2 and 1k (second op amp out)
Unless you guys think it would be better placed somewhere else?
Shaka 5 style i have some 2n7000s and bs170.?
i'm still waiting for the yellow leds too theyre in the post. hopefully they'll arrive today.

Grey Paper.

Kipper4

The yellow leds arrived it sounds good my friends.

Grey Paper.

Paul Marossy

Yeah Mr Tabata came up with a good one when he put out the Severe pedal.

Kipper4

I noticed in the gut shot i saw that the leds appear to be the clear yellow ones so i got some of those and thet light up more than the diffuse yellow leds and to my ears sound better too. Just as a side note.
My ears may be fooling me.

Grey Paper.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Kipper4 on September 10, 2013, 03:40:07 PM
I noticed in the gut shot i saw that the leds appear to be the clear yellow ones so i got some of those and thet light up more than the diffuse yellow leds and to my ears sound better too. Just as a side note.

Maybe they clip at slightly different voltages?

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 10, 2013, 04:04:33 PM
Quote from: Kipper4 on September 10, 2013, 03:40:07 PM

Maybe they clip at slightly different voltages?

Most certainly.

I tested a bunch of random stuff with my multimeter
Bat41 - 230mV
Most random transitors and JFets ~700-750mV
Random leds most I had were 1700mV
It was interesting.
Definitely makes me want to try the bats in some distortion circuit.

Kipper4

Sounds like a breadboard project for you Papa!!!!!!
I only have bat 46's that i got for love squeeze projects IIRC.
intresting though
Let me know how you get on.

Grey Paper.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on September 10, 2013, 04:42:19 PM
I tested a bunch of random stuff with my multimeter
Bat41 - 230mV
Most random transitors and JFets ~700-750mV
Random leds most I had were 1700mV
It was interesting.
Definitely makes me want to try the bats in some distortion circuit.

Wow, there is a big range there. I tend to like MOSFETs, don't know what range they are in.

Goodrat

I heard my name mentioned, so I just wanted to break in to say my latest crunch schematics are here:
http://rickviola.com/electronics.htm