Hex Piezo pickup - Preamp?

Started by Jaicen_solo, September 05, 2013, 03:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaicen_solo

Anybody have any ideas for the best piezo pickup pre-amp design?

My pickup has six individual elements, which I want to sum together, and output through a TMB tone control.

Can I just put something like a 10k trimmer in line with the output of each pickup and route them through to a high impedance op-amp buffer, or do I need to buffer each element individually?

~arph

I'm watching this. I got ghost saddles and my preamp died, bit expensive to replace

GibsonGM

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on September 05, 2013, 03:30:17 AM
Anybody have any ideas for the best piezo pickup pre-amp design?

My pickup has six individual elements, which I want to sum together, and output through a TMB tone control.

Can I just put something like a 10k trimmer in line with the output of each pickup and route them through to a high impedance op-amp buffer, or do I need to buffer each element individually?

Seems like that would be a good way to do it - classic opamp mixer...then you can adjust each trimmer for equal volume on each string, of course. You should have good input impedance this way - I don't see why this wouldn't work.   

Why don't you try out 2 or 3 strings, on the breadboard, just to see how it sounds?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Gurner

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on September 05, 2013, 03:30:17 AM

Hex pickups normally are quite low impedance ...you might get away with a standard opamp amp configured as a summing amp....

http://www.circuitstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/summing-amplifier-circuit.png

but if not, what you're proposing is not (IMHO) the optimum way to approach it, .... bin the idea of a trimmer on the input of a high impedance buffer, but have a high impedance buffer for each pickup output followed by a summing amplifier ....this is where your trimmer would come into play.

enrique

i design this, to replace the original parker p38 piezo and magnetic preamp work really good and pretty close .
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com/2012/09/pre-onboard-para-microfonos-magneticos.html

ashcat_lt

Remember that piezo elements are capacitive whereas magnetic pickups are mostly inductive.  They both want high impedance loads, but for opposite reasons.  A "loaded down" magnetic pickup loses treble.  A piezo connected to a too-low Z input loses bass.

Also, I cant see any good point in having a hex pickup if you're not going to have access to the individual strings.

I think you should have six individual buffers (jfet or opamp) with individual outputs which come before your summing stage.  The standard inverting summing stage will not likely give you a high enough in-Z by itself.

Gurner

Quote from: Gurner on September 05, 2013, 07:13:09 PM
Hex pickups normally are quite low impedance ...you might get away with a standard opamp amp configured as a summing amp....

Earlier I read hex pickups, and a Roland GK2 midi pickup instantly sprang into my head, but just seen you've a piezo hex ...... so scratch the above! (I've no reason to have missed that, you splattered piezo in the title & opening post!)

GibsonGM

Like I said, try building a summing amplifier, and see what 2 of them sound like.  If they need buffers, you'll know pretty quickly, and will have 2 of the summing amp inputs ready to go!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ashcat_lt

Quote from: GibsonGM on September 06, 2013, 06:27:50 PM
Like I said, try building a summing amplifier, and see what 2 of them sound like.  If they need buffers, you'll know pretty quickly, and will have 2 of the summing amp inputs ready to go!
Yes, but try the two low strings, or maybe both Es

pinkjimiphoton

guys,
i have a related question.

do you HAVE to use a preamp with these things?

i wanna put a schaller piezo tuneomatic on the semi hollowbody i'm building (or the 12 string neck of my doubleneck) but i am a FUZZFACE ADDICT (PINK:"HI, I'M JIMI AND I'M A FUZZAHOLIC"....DIY STOMPBOXES: "HELLO, PINK")..

and any kinda buffer before a fuzzface just ruins the interaction of the guitar and fuzz.
the only other thing i could think of would be to put it on a switch, so i could still have the passive output (or maybe give it a dedicated output jack?)

sorry to hijack the thread, but i'm curious what you guys think.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

ashcat_lt

Jimi, I think your answer is in my post above.  One of the big things about an FF is the way its low-Z input loads down the (inductive) magnetic pickups.  It'll do pretty much the opposite with the (capacitive) piezos.  You'd be better off with a good buffer followed by one of those (inductive) pickup sim circuits.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks ashcat..
seems to me then, maybe my best bet is to keep the two signal paths completely discrete.
while i could wire the bridge as a hex, i'm gonna keep it summed to mono just to make life easier.
you DID answer my questions... thank you!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

ashcat_lt

Pas de problem.  If you was gonna mix the mag with the piezo you would want to buffer each separately first.  Keeping them separate is probably your best bet.

tempus

Not exactly what you were asking, but I use Ghost saddles on my electric guitar so I can switch from an electric to acoustic sound mid-song. I built this onboard buffer and it works great (no amplification or tone stack though):

The 10uF cap can probably be lowered, and I think I later added a 10M resistor to ground between the 22K resistor and the input to the JFET.

Try it out - a buffer may be all you need with all the EQ on most amps/mixers.

Jaicen_solo

Quick resurrection for some clarification about this again.

Firstly, do I need individual buffers for each element if i'm going to sum them to a mono signal?

Secondly, it's going into the guitar, so obviously I want to keep current draw low, but I want low noise. A couple of TL062's will be ok in terms of current draw, but what's the noise like compared to say, a J201?? I want to have a small amount of gain, followed by a low impedance buffered tonestack.