Here you go digi2t & Jimi

Started by Scruffie, September 05, 2013, 05:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

nocentelli

Rusty, screws and other bits missing? Scuffed? FIVE GRAND!?
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Govmnt_Lacky

:o  :o  :o  :o  :icon_eek:

Now that is some serious machinery there!!!!

$500 shipping??  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Scruffie

Quote from: nocentelli on September 05, 2013, 06:51:28 AM
Rusty, screws and other bits missing? Scuffed? FIVE GRAND!?
:icon_lol: I know, ridiculous price, as someone said on another site 'that'd look great with my klon head'.

Can buy a Bi-Phase for less.

Good thing the shipping is reasonable though...  :icon_rolleyes:

There was a smaller single channel pedal version it seems from searching, wonder how much one of those goes for.

nick d

Having listened to the sound clip , it's good but not five grand good ! Perhaps it buys the beers all night and turns into a curry at midnight !

digi2t

Not worth it, even to clone. Sound clips are meh, and quite frankly, two Tau Pipe phasers would outshine this puppy in a heartbeat. I`ll even side with nocentelli, a Bi-Phase would be less, and maybe better.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Scruffie

The only nice things going for it are selectable 4,6 & 8 stages and the fact we can safely assume it's companded with a 570.

4027 for the foot switching perhaps, some of the OpAmps for the CV, probably a pretty standard design.

So... $5k!? How much were those ludwigs going for?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on September 05, 2013, 10:33:05 AM
So... $5k!? How much were those ludwigs going for?

Originals were going for up to ~$3500  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

garcho

Considering there's a Klon Centaur on eBay right now for $2,500, 5k doesn't seem too weird. Theses items are for display in some rich guy's man cave where he can imagine all the interesting things other people have done while staring at them sitting idly.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Mark Hammer

They were nifty units, and I readily confess to having lusted after one in the early 80's.  But keep in mind that in 1981, a phaser with 5 control knobs, selectable number of stages, voltage control and linkable LFOs would have been pretty dang rare.  One would rarely find a phaser with more than 3 knobs.  Probably the only real competition this sucker would have had at the time is the Roland PH-830, which may well go for the same sort of 4-figure price these days (although $5k is rather steep, even for collectibles).

I haven't listened to the sound clip, but given the control features, I seriously doubt that anything less than a 30-minute Youtube would give one any inkling about what this baby can do.  Ultimately, though, it is essentially a Small Stone or Ross underneath (OTA-based phase-shift stages), or one of Rick Holt's little 6-8-stage puppies, with much more sophisticated control and signal routing potential, although it is possible that it has some "special sauce" in the LFO.  At the very least it is made from hardtosourceium rather than unobtanium.

garcho

Quotemade from hardtosourceium rather than unobtanium.

love this
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 06, 2013, 05:14:08 PM
They were nifty units, and I readily confess to having lusted after one in the early 80's.  But keep in mind that in 1981, a phaser with 5 control knobs, selectable number of stages, voltage control and linkable LFOs would have been pretty dang rare.  One would rarely find a phaser with more than 3 knobs.  Probably the only real competition this sucker would have had at the time is the Roland PH-830, which may well go for the same sort of 4-figure price these days (although $5k is rather steep, even for collectibles).

I haven't listened to the sound clip, but given the control features, I seriously doubt that anything less than a 30-minute Youtube would give one any inkling about what this baby can do.  Ultimately, though, it is essentially a Small Stone or Ross underneath (OTA-based phase-shift stages), or one of Rick Holt's little 6-8-stage puppies, with much more sophisticated control and signal routing potential, although it is possible that it has some "special sauce" in the LFO.  At the very least it is made from hardtosourceium rather than unobtanium.
The one thing that interested me on this unit was that in the pedal unit, there was 4 x TL072 so an Op-Amp per phase stage we can safely assume from the layout, in this it appears a dual is used for each...

What actually happened to this company though? where is the Castle Phase 1 & 2 etc. Not much on google.

Mark Hammer

Much to my own surprise, they actually had a flanger too.

As for the phaser, I assume that the bi-fets were used as buffer stages for each 3080.  Second and 3rd generation OTAs like the 3094 and 13600/13700 would include darlington stages to do that particular job, but you'll find a great many synth schems sticking a bi-fet op-amp after each OTA in filters, VCAs, and such.

pinkjimiphoton

i'd rather pay 5 grand to dino to clone it. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 06, 2013, 08:44:20 PM
Much to my own surprise, they actually had a flanger too.

As for the phaser, I assume that the bi-fets were used as buffer stages for each 3080.  Second and 3rd generation OTAs like the 3094 and 13600/13700 would include darlington stages to do that particular job, but you'll find a great many synth schems sticking a bi-fet op-amp after each OTA in filters, VCAs, and such.
That's what i'm saying though, the pedal version had an Op-Amp per stage ( 4 x TL072 to 8 x 3080) as the output buffer, this version seems to have 2 per stage (8 x 072) ? Input and output buffers or something of any more interest.

And flanger!?

digi2t

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 06, 2013, 10:15:55 PM
i'd rather pay 5 grand to dino to clone it. ;)

Paypal will do.

:icon_lol:

Seriously though, maybe I should contact this guy, and see if he has a schematic. It doesn't look THAT complex, and it would make a nice addition to the Hen's Tooth Café.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK