News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Stamps

Started by musiclikscreams, September 05, 2013, 01:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musiclikscreams

I decided to start stamping my pedals... picked up some stamps and ink from the craft store... the ink was dried and i got cheap stamps so i'm sure they rn't gonna work well.  Anybody wanna throw me some pointers before i shoot back out to the craft store?

GibsonGM

You could get the inkjet printer labels that you soak off with water and adhere to your stompbox. They work really well!
I think they're called 'water slide decals'.  After you print them, and before you wet them, you clear coat them to protect the ink.
Hard to do better than that, unless you silk screen...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

kaycee

I've used them with good results. The indelible (sp) ink dries quick and stands up to most clear coats without smearing. My advice would be to get the smallest font you can find. Unless you particularly like the blackmail style of writing you might want to build a jig to align the letters up with. Also a good idea to do some practicing first on some board or something to get the hang of the pressure needed. Only thing with them is its a one shot process, get it wrong and you'll have to sand it off.

musiclikscreams

Quote from: GibsonGM on September 05, 2013, 06:40:44 PM
You could get the inkjet printer labels that you soak off with water and adhere to your stompbox. They work really well!
I think they're called 'water slide decals'.  After you print them, and before you wet them, you clear coat them to protect the ink.
Hard to do better than that, unless you silk screen...

i've tried water slides but they feel cumbersome to me.  i have a hard time dealing with that little tiny label. maybe it would be easier with tweezers or something. i also noticed u can see the edges of the decal.  is that something that goes away with clear coat or no?

bcalla

Quote from: musiclikscreams on September 06, 2013, 08:10:18 AM
i've tried water slides but they feel cumbersome to me.  i have a hard time dealing with that little tiny label. maybe it would be easier with tweezers or something. i also noticed u can see the edges of the decal.  is that something that goes away with clear coat or no?

I usually use water slide decals.  I put 3-4 coats of clear over them.  Even with 4 coats the edges don't completely disappear.  You can make this less obvious by making the decal the size if your enclosure rather than the size of the text or image.  The decal edges will be close to the edge of the enclosure and therefore a lot less noticeable.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain

seedlings

You can order stamps on-line pretty cheap.  I ordered several of them for Tone, Level, Drive, DC9V and one with my logo.  You send in a vector drawing of whatever you want, and they make a stamp.  Trick is applying the stamp without smudging.  But, you can wipe it off real quick, then try again when it's crooked and smudged.  Be sure to clear coat over the top or they will wear away.

Seems like I paid something like $25 for the 5 or 6 that I ordered.

The StazOn ink seems to work well.  You can buy ink to refill the pad.  I have black ink pad and a white ink pad for that brand.

CHAD

*edit: Here are a couple of examples:

musiclikscreams

Quote from: seedlings on September 06, 2013, 11:46:05 AM
You can order stamps on-line pretty cheap.  I ordered several of them for Tone, Level, Drive, DC9V and one with my logo.  You send in a vector drawing of whatever you want, and they make a stamp.  Trick is applying the stamp without smudging.  But, you can wipe it off real quick, then try again when it's crooked and smudged.  Be sure to clear coat over the top or they will wear away.

Seems like I paid something like $25 for the 5 or 6 that I ordered.

The StazOn ink seems to work well.  You can buy ink to refill the pad.  I have black ink pad and a white ink pad for that brand.

CHAD

*edit: Here are a couple of examples:

Where did u order them from?

seedlings

I ordered from www.rubberstamps.net
The group of 6 stamps cost $20.70

The stamps with words like Tone, Bass, Drive, Level I just typed the word in their stamp creator widget, using one of their fonts.  The 'SEED aMPS' logo was a vector image that I uploaded to their widget.

CHAD

musiclikscreams