Strat Mod (would this work?)

Started by Rock_on, September 06, 2013, 05:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock_on

So I decided to do these:

1.) Bridge/Middle Parallel/Series switching mod ONLY

2.) I would like to have a Master Tone Control, like the stock Master Vol. Control

3.) I would like to do the Blend mod... you guys familiar with that?

would all these 3 work?

These what would happen right? (From right to left)
1.) Bridge (+ neck when blender pot is turned up)
2.) Bridge + Mid (either parallel or series) (+ blender pot) = 3 pickups
3.) Mid
4.) Neck + Mid (+ blender pot) = 3 pickups
5.) Neck + Bridge

but I would like still to have the neck only.. I only want the blender pot in positions 1,2,4

how can I do that?

jkokura

I also like Master Tone and Volume. I'm working on a strat project that just eliminates the second tone pot.

Rather than do the blender pot, you could consider doing an 'add bridge' switch. I did this on one of my guitars. My old Larivee LS-4 had two small toggle switches added before I owned it, and for a long time they were dummies. What I eventually did, on Tom Anderson's recommendations, is an add bridge and parallel/series switch for my bridge pickup. So...

5 way switch like normal:
1. Bridge
2. Bridge plus middle
3. Middle
4. Middle plus neck
5. Neck

However, in positions 3-5, I can throw a toggle to get
3. middle (add bridge) - basically the same as position 2
4. Middle plus neck (add bridge) - all three pickups
5. Neck (add bridge) - outside pair.

When you add in the series parallel for the bridge, you get a total of 11 different pickup sounds. Pretty complicated, but certainly versatile. What I've learned is that some of my favourite sounds can't be achieved with a traditional strat style 5 way switch, but I also don't use all 11 sounds.

I know this means no blender knob, but the one time I tried it, I found that I didn't end up using the blend except for full on or full off. That's why I went with the toggle. It's either on, or off. Adding resistance to the equation may just affect your tone in a way you might not like (I didn't).

Jacob