Tone Bender super quiet: Help?

Started by Drewmeyer, September 06, 2013, 09:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewmeyer

So I just finished up a MKII tonebender (board of byoc, sourced all my own parts) and seem to have run into a problem. So the pedal bypasses fine, and the LED comes on, but when the effect is engaged it is incredibly quiet and the volume control does nothing to affect the signal. The attack control, however, provides the full range of fuzz control. I used AC128 trannies, if that makes a difference (I think the byoc kit comes with OC75s). Anyone know what could be going on?

midwayfair

Well, first thing is to check your volume pot connections. Use your multimeter to check continuity. Audio probe lug 3 as well as output cap pads.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

garcho

^ +1

QuoteI used AC128 trannies, if that makes a difference

The transistor type might make a difference but not in a way that would prevent the volume knob from acting like you'd expect it to.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Drewmeyer

Quote from: garcho on September 07, 2013, 12:17:22 AM
^ +1

QuoteI used AC128 trannies, if that makes a difference

The transistor type might make a difference but not in a way that would prevent the volume knob from acting like you'd expect it to.
Well the main problem is the severe volume drop, and it also appears the volume control is nonfunctional. Do you think the two are related? Also, it might be worth noting the amount of fuzz seems to be drastically less than seems normal for this unit. Is it possible the signal is being limited at some point before it pushes the transistors, resulting in less volume and distortion?

aron

Well the volume pot not working means there is some sort of wiring problem with the circuit for sure. Time to check out the debugging page.