Jcm 900 like circuit ... suggest some

Started by JebemMajke, September 07, 2013, 04:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JebemMajke

garcho

I have no idea if this works or how it sounds, I just did a google image search for "JCM900 site:diystompboxes.com"

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

JebemMajke

I;ve seen that one, but I'm curious how does it sound. I guess I'll have to give it a go.

garcho

QuoteI'm curious how does it sound.

FET distortion and EQ, just like every amp sim. Nothing earth shattering. Have you checked out RunOffGroove? They have tons of these, well drawn schematics, verified, too.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

JebemMajke

I'm aware that tube to fet is nothing spectacular. Boogie and similar proved that. I think that russian fet/mosfet preamps were very good. But I'm not sure if they had jcm 900 emulation. It would be helpful if Joker would answer that.

mremic01

Might not be as close to what you're looking for circuit-wise, but sound-wise the Crunch Box does the JCM800/900 thing pretty well. I've got a 2210 and it's probably the closest pedal I've heard to the 2210's boost channel. It's got a bit more gain too, probably closer to the 900.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

JebemMajke

J0K3RX

If you get ambitious you might want to experiment with this?? I have been eyeballing it for a while now :icon_eek:

http://diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80013.0.com
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

JebemMajke

I've seen that one. Looks challenging :D.
Just curious if anyone heard a sample of it?

J0K3RX

Look here.. 2nd layout with Sprint file download :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.guitar-gear.ru/index.php?p=proj&id=26

Should look like this

JebemMajke

That is shredmaster.
I've made it, and dreadmaster too. But it doesn't sound like jcm 900. Not to me at least.

J0K3RX

Quote from: JebemMajke on September 08, 2013, 01:47:12 PM
That is shredmaster.
I've made it, and dreadmaster too. But it doesn't sound like jcm 900. Not to me at least.

well, it's a tricky sound to replicate... very defined sound but all Marshalls are ballsy sounding and have similarities..

I am putting together a MG 15 type pedal right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be9oMgWXC3g

JebemMajke

Nice one. 15v?

I would like to try this one. :)

J0K3RX

yup, that's it.. I have an MG15 that I got at a garage sale for like $10.00 and it ain't no joke! :icon_twisted: I also have an MG10, looks about the same except for the tone stack.

Both run on 15v bipolar... not sure if that's why such brutal sound? Stupidly simple compared to that jfet hogging monster a couple posts back that nobody ever posted sound samples for... Hard to beat the Marshall sound in a mix!

head_spaz

Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

J0K3RX

Quote from: head_spaz on September 08, 2013, 10:12:20 PM
check this out. Fet version of the JCM800
Rave reviews...

Yeah believe me, I have seen that!

I stated a whole post on KMG (Mike) here on DIYSB about a year ago...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=98136.0

His stuff is madd crazy kool... but, just a little (WAY) too involved for me and they are all pretty much full blown amps and whatnot! If I am gonna go that far I might as well build a real tube amp/preamp etc... I personally am trying to stay in the pedal/preamp world. It's cheaper and easier, for me anyway. I have built tube preamps and amps and it's just not cost effective. In the end you will most likely spend double the money (not counting your time) rather than if you just went and purchased one. Unless you have a secret never ending stash of high voltage components, custom transformers, chassis etc.., which I do not. His stuff is the ultimate cool designs though no doubt!

ghostsauce

For what it's worth, I have a JCM900 4100 as my main amp, and I also have a Dr. Boogey that I love the sound of.. I once plugged the guitar into the boogey, and then into the fx return of the JCM900, so that it was JUST using the amp's power section, and it was producing the same tones as the 900 preamp really.. just a little muddier. I use that pedal to get those tones on my little Class 5, but I removed the tone stack so that it played better into the front of the amp.

IMHO just build a boogey!