Tillman Preamp simple question.

Started by Rock_on, September 08, 2013, 08:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock_on

Maybe some of you here familiar with it right?

We don't have mpf102 and j201 here in our area in Philippines.

what I have here right now is 2n5458.

what resistor value do I need in source and drain?

please help. google did not gave me answer

pappasmurfsharem

This might be useful for you
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99388.0

Some info on tillman with 2n5458

I dont think you need to change the source.

I think you just bias the drain until you get the clean boost with minimal distortion.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Rock_on

Since im making a new preamp pedal i'll just ask it here anyway.

what would you prefer Tillman's or SHO pedal? what are the difference (other than the part counts :D)? does the SHO pedal has more sparkling magic?

right now Im using my newly made LPB-1 and use it for recording directly with VST plugins. Wow that pedal is very brutal and mean for me. it made my strat sound like a thick humbucker tone SH1T!!

diydave

Tillman pre-amp has a lot less gain than a sho.
The idea off the tillman is to boost the signal (x2 or x3) somewhat to overcome the loss of high's in using long cables.
I've build one inside my fender jaguar. It lets the sparkle come through without the need of an external box.

You can use the sho for the the same thing, but the sho can push the signal a lot more so you can overdrive the input of your amp.
You won't get that much gain in using a tillman's.

Gus

besides the gain difference

The input resistance of the circuit and the cable and the  passive guitar or bass interact.

The LPB has a lower input resistance.  A JFET circuit with a 3meg input is a higher input resistance this changes the interaction that you hear in the high end.  The cable capacitance is also a part of this
ADD this changes with  the volume control setting on the guitar as you reduce volume you are adding more series resistance in line and this changes things.

Rock_on

Quote from: diydave on September 09, 2013, 04:04:54 AM
You can use the sho for the the same thing, but the sho can push the signal a lot more so you can overdrive the input of your amp.
You won't get that much gain in using a tillman's.

WOW.. <== that wow word is still small for me to express myself.

I've change my mind. i'll make SHO pedal instead. thanks guys!