FV-1 Multi effect full forum project ready to go. (ShimmerVerb Also)

Started by Ice-9, September 08, 2013, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

potul

potul

Quote from: slacker on July 27, 2017, 12:46:17 PM
Are you getting about 1.65 volts on pins 1,2,3, 27 and 28?

pins 27 and 28 are at 1.64v, which seems ok.
pins 1,2,3 are not... pins 1 an2 they are at around 1.6 when I test but as soon as I pinch them, they go down to zero... like if some cap was charging/discahrging when I apply the probe.

pin 3 is around 1.61

And... I discovered something strange. Pin 23 (DVDD) is sometimes at 2.56, sometimes at 3.31. And I observed that when this is at 2.56, pins 27 and 28 go down to 1.26 (seems to be half of it)
If when probing I press hard, pin23 goes to 3.3v. Regulator output is consistently at 3.3.

Maybe I have a soldering issue at pin 23? Can I try to "reflow" the chip easily to ensure all solders are good?

Mat

Ice-9

Reflow the FV-1 chip, a common soldering problem here can also be flux residue so use a non-clean flux pen and make sure it is cleaned using a flux solvent. (water based flux cleaner can cause problems).

Try soldering an led to pin5 of the fv-1 then 100R resistor to 3.3v. If the LED is  on all the time that can mean the oscillator has not started or the EEprom is empty or not working. So if the LED is lit solid the problem is definitely around the FV-1/EEprom.

Placing an audio signal directly to the output of the FV-1 to test if the output op amp could damage the FV-1, best to place a link between the FV-1 input and output caps (+ cap sides)  to correctly test the analogue parts of the circuit. This way gives you DC decoupling to both input and output of the FV-1.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

potul

Quote from: Ice-9 on July 27, 2017, 04:38:24 PM
Reflow the FV-1 chip, a common soldering problem here can also be flux residue so use a non-clean flux pen and make sure it is cleaned using a flux solvent. (water based flux cleaner can cause problems).

Try soldering an led to pin5 of the fv-1 then 100R resistor to 3.3v. If the LED is  on all the time that can mean the oscillator has not started or the EEprom is empty or not working. So if the LED is lit solid the problem is definitely around the FV-1/EEprom.

Placing an audio signal directly to the output of the FV-1 to test if the output op amp could damage the FV-1, best to place a link between the FV-1 input and output caps (+ cap sides)  to correctly test the analogue parts of the circuit. This way gives you DC decoupling to both input and output of the FV-1.

Thanks for the hint. I wll try the LED trick. Regarding audio signal on output, I will take into consideration for future tests... I hope I didn't break it. I just tried once.

potul

Quote from: Ice-9 on July 27, 2017, 04:38:24 PM

I have reflown the chip, and now DVDD is steady at 3.3, no more up and down. But, I have obseved that now pins 27 and 28 are at 3.3v as well, when they were at 1.65 before... I have doublechecked that there is no solder bridge with pin 26, and I can't find anything.
Any idea about what could be wrong?

On the other side, I have done the LED test, and the LED is on all the time. So clearly there is an issue with the FV-1 or memory.
I will try tomorrow to use the scope and see if the oscillator is working.

potul

It's alive!!!

I'm not sure what I did, but it works now... The other day I just reflown the FV-1, checked voltages and everything was a mess. I cleaned up all flux with some acetone.... and still a voltage mess. I ended up spraying some contact cleaner just to try.... and let it dry.

Today I connected the scope at the SDA pin and I saw a burst of data when changing preset. So I tested again the voltages. Everything fine, both audio input and output of the FV1 at around 1.65v... and when I tested audio, it sounds!

I will monitor in case I see another failure, but I tend to think it was a flux issue... and after cleaning and letting dry it works.

Now, I go  back to spincad to start playing a bit.

Ice-9

Quote from: potul on August 01, 2017, 11:50:11 AM
It's alive!!!

I'm not sure what I did, but it works now... The other day I just reflown the FV-1, checked voltages and everything was a mess. I cleaned up all flux with some acetone.... and still a voltage mess. I ended up spraying some contact cleaner just to try.... and let it dry.

Today I connected the scope at the SDA pin and I saw a burst of data when changing preset. So I tested again the voltages. Everything fine, both audio input and output of the FV1 at around 1.65v... and when I tested audio, it sounds!

I will monitor in case I see another failure, but I tend to think it was a flux issue... and after cleaning and letting dry it works.

Good result Potul, flux around the FV-1 and poorly cleaned or dry joints is the main issue, when the clip LED stays on it is very often that the xtal will not start the FV-1 and that can be really often down to flux contamination. Let us know how you get on.

Now, I go  back to spincad to start playing a bit.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Steve112

Hi everyone,

So I'm having some problems installing the SpinCAD designer and hope you guys can help me out with it.

As I understand there are two ways to get the program — from the holycityaudio's github where it requires the elmgen-05.jar file which used to be on Andrew Kilpatrick's site but not anymore. And also directly from Digital Larry's forum, but only after Larry himself approves the registered account.

So I would be really grateful if someone provided me (and everyone else) with the files needed or explained whether I need them in the first place or not.

On my part, when I succeed I'll write a step-by-step guide and upload all necessary files to several sources to make it more easily acceptable since this whole project is based on ideas of open source and bringing new people in.

Best regards,
Steve

Digital Larry

Steve,

When did you sign up over at holycityaudio?  I just approved a few new accounts that came in over the weekend.

You will have a heck of a time trying to build SpinCAD from Github... I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you have a ton of patience and already know a lot about Java development.

Cheers,

DL
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

potul

Hi Steve

If you just want to use Spincad you don't need to install sources and libraries.  Just use the jar file.
You need all the stuff only if you want to create new blocks.

Enviado desde mi Redmi 4X mediante Tapatalk

Digital Larry

Quote from: Steve112 on September 18, 2017, 05:09:20 PM
this whole project is based on ideas of open source and bringing new people in.

Hi Steve, if it is your intention to redistribute the SpinCAD binary, please keep in mind that you need to follow the requirements of GPL version 3.

For a little light reading on the subject, I recommend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

but straight to the source is always best:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Thanks,

DL
Digital Larry

Steve112

Hi again,

Thank you for your quick and detailed replies!
Now after my account is approved on holycityaudio forum it is of course very easy to get the latest version of spincad and it seems to be running just fine!
So many thanks to you for your hard work and for helping me.

Nevertheless, it still leaves the question of freely getting that jar file.
I'm just worried that if for instance one day you won't have time to approve newly registered it would be very hard indeed to get spincad to work for rookies like me.
I dont intend on redistributing the program necesserily, but I may suggest several possible ways. Maybe automate the approval process via captcha or someway else (like on bigger forums) or maybe just source it on more than one place (github, or some cloud service)?
On the other hand, if I ever actually redistribute it, then sure, I'll do it only after your approval and following all the GPL requirements needed.

Sorry if I'm being noobish here, I'm just generally concerned.

All the best,
Steve

Digital Larry

I hear what you're saying, though I actually choose to limit access to SpinCAD.  I want people to come in and make themselves known.  Also, I may want to monetize it somewhere down the road.  That said, I am in compliance with GPL version 3.  :icon_biggrin:

The real power in SpinCAD is in the Builder part where you can define your own blocks.  For that you have to work with the source code.

For my forum, I use a plugin that filters out known spammers.  This is why there is no Captcha.  Previously I'd get 50 signups a day, go thru spammer e-mail lists, 98% positive, huge waste of time.  However I still see unusual things happen account wise, so I just need to take a look at things.  My forum server did get hacked last year which included some Dept of the Interior investigation.  I pay a few hundred per year for security services now.  Am I paranoid?    :o

Digital Larry

printer2

Skimmed through the pages and I didn't see any schematics, anyone have them to post in a post Photobucket world? A more specific question on the FV-1, does the chip have a delay setting with time and repeats? I usually see clips with reverb but no delay.
Fred

Digital Larry

Most likely all the images were swept away in the PhotoBucket "no more free 3rd party hosting" flip of a couple months ago.

I'm not that familiar with the default patches of the FV-1, but it can easily be programmed to deliver delays of up to 1 second (with 32 kHz crystal) and adjustable repeats and delay level.  It is also possible to control the frequency response of the delay signal using low pass and high pass filters.
Digital Larry

printer2

I just got my chip and was thinking of doing a simple circuit using the stock programs (not that adding an EEPROM is more complicated) but I don't have the time to get into the programing right now. I did order another one to play with in the winter though. Yeah, not impressed with Photobucket.
Fred

potul

I think there is another project in the forum that does exactly this.  Fv1 internal programs only.  Try to find it

printer2

That thread was why I got the chip. Seems that to get it to act as a common delay pedal you need to do it in an eeprom. I have nothing against using one, just more work. Program 4 seems to have a delay and a pitch shifter. Controls are pitch, delay and mix. I guess you could do a feedback control around the chip but that is an aditional pot when it would have been more convenient to use one of the three pots

I have not looked too intently but I found a vid of the chip programed as a delay.

Fred

Ice-9

Javier I tried to PM you but your mail box is full so I will post the reply here.

Hi Javier,
I will have a look for some of the schematics and BOM as soon as I can, If I remember correctly there is also a rar file in the thread somewhere which should contain all the files so If I can find that link I will let you know.
The switch board has 11 resistors soldered to the board which are SMD and all 2k7.

If you have any other questions go ahead and ask.

regards
Mick
www.stanleyfx.co.uk