FV-1 Multi effect full forum project ready to go. (ShimmerVerb Also)

Started by Ice-9, September 08, 2013, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealfindo

Quote from: Ice-9 on September 08, 2013, 12:39:49 PM
FV1 Multi effect Part 2

If anyone want to work from these PCB's I could make them available with all the SMD components already programmed and soldered for anyone who doesn't like the idea of hand soldering these up.

yes please!!  :icon_biggrin:

cackhanded

Is there any indication yet about how much (in GB£) this stompbox will cost, either as a self build or as a completed unit? Is the Etap2 firmware available for self builders or does it have to be bought from Piet? If it is available, then from where?

Digital Larry

Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

scuzzphut

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 09, 2013, 04:57:59 AM
Quote from: slacker on October 09, 2013, 02:19:28 AM
Quote from: scuzzphut on October 08, 2013, 04:45:56 PM
3rd page - series 94R - octal version.

Yes, that's the right sort.

Yeah that switch will allow you to select 8 internal effects along with 8 external Eeprom effects, it would be nice to get a similar switch with a nut for mounting to the enclosure just like a normal pot.

Sorry Mark I must have missed your earlier post for pcb availability. Glad you got sorted with the tonepad pcb though.

Hi Mick - PM'd you regarding the PCBs. Thanks for the response on the switch - I hadn't noticed that the collar was unthreaded  :icon_redface:  so I'm glad I didn't order any !

Ice-9

Quote from: cackhanded on October 09, 2013, 06:51:22 AM
Is there any indication yet about how much (in GB£) this stompbox will cost, either as a self build or as a completed unit? Is the Etap2 firmware available for self builders or does it have to be bought from Piet? If it is available, then from where?

To everyone asking about pcb's, eTap2hw firmware etc.

I have quite a few pcb's and I can make them available to anyone who would like one, I can send either a bare totally unpopulated pcb, or a pcb with the FV-1 Programmed PIC, and programmed Eeprom with a selection of 8 effects or with Piet's eTap2HW firmware. I am just waiting to hear back from Piet about any final tweaks to be made to the circuit as I am unable to send out any PCB's with the eTap2HW firmware on the Eeprom until Piet is 100% happy. The pedal could be available as a complete kit soon with a pre drilled enclosure.

I will be trying to keep costs down to a minimum any one interested can PM me and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

mokomo

Would it be difficult to mod the build so as a stereo output is available, rather than mono?

I'm hoping it might be possible through adding an extra little breadboard with some components on it and a stereo TRS socket and soldering jump wires back to the pcb components? ... though I have no idea how to do that  :icon_cry:

slacker

Looks like it would be fairly easy, the right output of the FV-1 is unused and isn't connected to anything, so you'd just need to solder a wire to it and add a second output buffer on a separate board. You would then need programs that made use of the right output to get a stereo effect.

Ice-9

Quote from: slacker on October 09, 2013, 03:09:50 PM
Looks like it would be fairly easy, the right output of the FV-1 is unused and isn't connected to anything, so you'd just need to solder a wire to it and add a second output buffer on a separate board. You would then need programs that made use of the right output to get a stereo effect.

^ As Ian says above, the right output is unused in this layout as a physical output. It could be used by soldering a wire to it and taken to a second buffer, the only problems I can see here is, to do this and take the output to a second jack socket would require a bigger enclosure and the need for a 4pdt switch for bypass. Alternatively as the output jack is a stereo jack socket it would be possible to modify a trace or two on the PCB to use the jack socket as a stereo out but again the bypass switch would need looking into.

The FV-1 right output isn't wasted though in the standard setup as it can be used in software to use both left/right chls, but of course the final output would be mono. (it could be used like this to get a full 2 second delay at full bandwidth).
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

therealfindo

I'm not the only one thinking about boxing one of these up in the same box as @DeadAstronaut's 'verb, right?  ;D

3PDT swtich to allow order swapping.. suhweet!

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on October 10, 2013, 04:42:24 AM
I'm not the only one thinking about boxing one of these up in the same box as @DeadAstronaut's 'verb, right?  ;D

If you want to put it into a bigger box and have a footswitch to do program swapping I made a little PCB some time ago that has a momentary footswitch and a 1-8 single digit LED to scroll through the patches, if that's the type of thing your thinking of.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 10, 2013, 07:05:18 AM

If you want to put it into a bigger box and have a footswitch to do program swapping I made a little PCB some time ago that has a momentary footswitch and a 1-8 single digit LED to scroll through the patches, if that's the type of thing your thinking of.

not what I was thinking.. but sounds interesting! TBH, I'm mainly interested in the shimmer side, so I'll try the "basic" version first.

therealfindo

on second thought.. does it have a (longish) mod patch as well?

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on October 12, 2013, 09:34:03 AM

Not sure what you are asking here, can you elaborate ?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

scuzzphut

Created a BOM for Mick's PCB - thought I'd share.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the crystal - the FV-1 datasheet and the Tonepad project specify a 32768Hz watch type.  Is this what you use Mick ?

Power Conditioning   
TR1   IRFD9024
REG   78L33

Diodes   
D1   10v Zener

Resistors   
R1   100k
R2   33R
R3   47k
R4   47k
R5   1M
R6   1k
R7   470k
R8   1k
R9   1k
R10   1k
R11   10k
R12   10k
R13   1k
R14   1k
R15   100k
R16   100R
Rx   100k

Capacitors   
C1   100uF
C2   10uF
C3   100nF
C4   10uF
C5   100nF
C6   1uF
C7   1nF
C8   1uF
C9   220nF
C10   120pF
C11   10uF
C12   1uF
C13   47pF
C14   100nF
C15   1uF

Ics   
IC1   TL072
IC2   24LC32A
IC3   Spin FV-1
IC4   PIC12F683_SN
Crystal   32768

Potentiometers   
VR1-VR4   25k Linear

Ice-9

Yeah Mark, The crystal is a little watch crystal.

Thanks for posting the BOM there are 2 versions of the build, the one using the eTAP2HW firmaware has all the listed components , but there is also a schematic for all other eeprom programs which leaves out some components. I will post up a build for each as soon as I get the time to sort it out. The differences are for volume levels.
ie
For eTAP2HW firwares a gain recovery is used on the output opamp
For other firmwares a straight buffer is used.
I could easily make this switchablewith a DPDT switch (mini toggle or side switch)

The circuit power protection around IRFD9024 can be wired in 3 different ways. By using/not using different components and jumper wires it is possible to use either a diode to ground protection, diode in series protection or the full mosfet near zero voltage loss protection. (best)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 12, 2013, 11:21:44 AM

What kind of patches are there to scroll through?

By modulation I mean like on a BlueSky or something - can this do that?

Ice-9

Quote from: therealfindo on October 14, 2013, 04:18:43 AM

The footswitch or potentiometer patch changer selects programs from the Eeprom, whatever software that has been programmed into the Eeprom's memory is what the patch selection will recall.
The FV-1 can do modulation and shimmer similar to the BlueSky if it is programmed to do this type of effect. There is already a shimmer reverb program available.

The idea behind this is for people to learn how to write there own programs and put them onto the pedal, there is lots of info and free programs readily available from the Spin website. Also there is a program available called 'SpinCad Designer' from Digital Larry which is a simple to use effect block builder, with this there is no need to learn the programming language.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

therealfindo

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 14, 2013, 05:21:25 AM
Quote from: therealfindo on October 14, 2013, 04:18:43 AM

The footswitch or potentiometer patch changer selects programs from the Eeprom, whatever software that has been programmed into the Eeprom's memory is what the patch selection will recall.
The FV-1 can do modulation and shimmer similar to the BlueSky if it is programmed to do this type of effect. There is already a shimmer reverb program available.

The idea behind this is for people to learn how to write there own programs and put them onto the pedal, there is lots of info and free programs readily available from the Spin website. Also there is a program available called 'SpinCad Designer' from Digital Larry which is a simple to use effect block builder, with this there is no need to learn the programming language.

TBH, it sounds a bit beyond me right now.. but I'm always up for a challenge and learning something new. Where should I start reading?

Ice-9

A good place to start would be over at www.spinsemi.com Have a look at there forums and take a look at Digital Larry's SpinCad Designer which is easy to use.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

scuzzphut

Right, let's get this going again for the weekend  ;D

Mick - where did you get your boards fabbed ? Really nice quality.

All - Anyone know what kit I need in order to program the EPROM in-situ ? Off board ? 
I've seen discussion of the PICKIT2 product, but there seem to be a variety of options.  USB preferably - I've disabled the COM port on my motherboard.