FV-1 Multi effect full forum project ready to go. (ShimmerVerb Also)

Started by Ice-9, September 08, 2013, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkmorb

@iami
I found the code...but not the schematics in the archive.

Digital Larry

Wow, somebody's actually adding functionality to SpinCAD!  Be still my heart.  :icon_lol:  I have made a ton of changes since I put up the GPL source code.  I really need to figure out how to put that stuff all at GitHub and furthermore use Git myself.  I've just been using Subversion for so long that it's a little hard for this old dog to learn new tricks.  Yes there certainly is a generate hex function in ElmGen.  If you can get that working and want to share it with the world, let me know.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

iami

@dkmorb : sorry about that, you will find another zip witch schema here : http://betapoc.com/data/
(those are kicad files)

Digital Larry

Quote from: dkmorb on August 14, 2014, 10:37:43 AM
@ Ian,
we have member function:
public int[] generateHex()
in Elmgen ElmProgram class.

I think we must take care about this point...

Look closer in ElmGen source code; Andrew Kilpatrick has also supplied these classes which are not yet used for anything in SpinCAD Designer:

EEPromHandler
EEPromProgrammer

Andrew connected these using the RxTx library to some Arduino sketch he came up with.  I'm reasonably confident that they could be adapted at some level to a variety of hardware programming alternatives.  I have not looked into this at all.
Digital Larry

Rebel_88

Hi I'm trying to get the SpinCAD Designer from the http://holycityaudio.com/ but the forum is not longer available.
When i want to go on http://holycityaudio.com/forum/ i found a message :
"We've moved to http://holycityaudio.com/forum!"
But i'm just here?!

I was waiting that my account was approved but now i can't go on to get the file. Someone could help me?

Digital Larry

Good morning; sorry, the Holy City Audio forum is currently down for maintenance.  I'm having my webmaster add a plugin to help stop the armies of spambots who like to come visit every time I post something here.  I guess they follow the link in my sig.  I'll letcha know when it's back up.  Thanks very much for your interest.

DL
Digital Larry

dkmorb

Look closer in ElmGen source code; Andrew Kilpatrick has also supplied these classes which are not yet used for anything in SpinCAD Designer:

EEPromHandler
EEPromProgrammer

Andrew connected these using the RxTx library to some Arduino sketch he came up with.  I'm reasonably confident that they could be adapted at some level to a variety of hardware programming alternatives.  I have not looked into this at all.

Yep, Digital "old dog" Larry,
they are the classes i used in my simple programmer.
Let me test just a little the code I produced on a "real" board.
I connected the arduino by rxtx library and, after some changes to old sketch code, it seems to work.

Ice-9

Quote from: dkmorb on August 18, 2014, 03:00:55 AM

EEPromHandler
EEPromProgrammer

Yep, Digital "old dog" Larry,
they are the classes i used in my simple programmer.
Let me test just a little the code I produced on a "real" board.
I connected the arduino by rxtx library and, after some changes to old sketch code, it seems to work.

This sound like another great extension to the SpinCad Designer, I look forward to seeing this progress.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Digital Larry

I'm getting a little confused here.

dkmorb apparently is using an Arduino to connect directly to the EEPROM's i2c lines for programming a full bank of 8 programs in one shot, as demonstrated in the sample application supplied with ElmGen.

iami is using an Atmel on USB configured as a generic printer device to write 1 program at a time (as a hex file) to the Atmel micro, which is impersonating an EEPROm for the FV-1's sake.

I certainly feel the limitation of only 8 programs at a time, yet for a pedal, I don't want to overdo it, so the number 24 seems manageable.  However it seems a little cumbersome to write the programs 1 at a time.  Is there a simple way with this printer driver concept to write banks of 8 or even all 24?  That's why I brought up the other classes - at some point in the code you can draw a line and say "below here is the hardware specific programmer implementation". 

Since I mostly use Linux these days I'd like to get away from the need to use the Spin IDE completely - although I do consider it a final sanity check on the code still.  So I would like to find a programming solution that works on Mac, Windoze, and Linux.

Thx,

DL
Digital Larry

Digital Larry

OK Holy City Audio forum is back up.  Wow that took a couple of days.   :icon_cry:

But now hopefully I won't need to spend lots of time reviewing spambot accounts.  :icon_lol:

http://holycityaudio.com/forum

By the way, I am hoping to release a new beta version of SpinCAD Designer within a few days that has yet some more bug fixes and a new block or two and even some minor UI improvements.

Thanks,

DL
Digital Larry

Ice-9

I thought I would post this as a demo for the forum project, the two pedals played here are exactly the same as the forum FV-1 circuit and with the same software installed but they are the pedals I sell on my site so ignore the pedal names etc.
Adam has made a great demo of the sounds available and the full intro tune is built up using just the FV-1 pedals, so just as an example of the sounds that the FV-1 project is about here is the youtube vid. All the software is available and in the thread for DIY use.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Mbas974

Amazing video... 

I'm going to collect info's about this chip..

Wondering about input signal.
The Spin chip supply is 3,3V
onto datasheet analog input is +/- 0.5V (max 1V signal)
so...
What it happen whether the input signal exceed the tollerance ? L'et's say I use this reverb after a TS9 Overdrive (approx 3V....)
Is there a phisical clip of the signal or there is a demage of the chip ? (On the videothere is both OD+REVERB is it the pedal orthere is a stack ?)

also :
What you suggest me 
1) take this board project (that looks really great !)
or
2) take the Spin Developmentboard ?

Digital Larry

If you are an experienced builder then you could try the project.  The Spin dev board is OK for evaluating and developing patches but is not good as a standalone guitar pedal, as the input impedance is too low.  I am using a Spin dev board in the effects loop of my Tech 21 Trademark 60 and it works OK there (at home, anyway).
Digital Larry

octfrank

Quote from: Mbas974 on August 31, 2014, 01:04:14 PM
You misread the datasheet, the analog signal in max is 3,3Vp-p but it would clip and distort at that level so we recommend you run at a max of 3,0Vp-p
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

Ice-9

Amazing video... 

I'm going to collect info's about this chip..

so...
What it happen whether the input signal exceed the tollerance ? L'et's say I use this reverb after a TS9 Overdrive (approx 3V....)
Is there a phisical clip of the signal or there is a demage of the chip ? (On the videothere is both OD+REVERB is it the pedal orthere is a stack ?)

also :
What you suggest me 
1) take this board project (that looks really great !)
or
2) take the Spin Developmentboard ?

Stacking other pedals in line with a FV-1 based pedal like these is no problem for levels, as octfrank has mentioned the FV-1 input signal is 3v p-p, as with any delay or reverb though the best placement would be in the amps fx loop especially if overdrive and distortion is used. If used in the amps input then they should go after the distortion type fx. I'm sure you already knew that though.

There are advantages to using either the pedal or the dev board.

1. The pedal has all the input and output circuitry suitable for guitar and bass. It can be fully reprogrammed with new software with a cheap usb programmer, and it is a useable gig-able pedal.
2. The dev board has built in usb to program the software. It has stereo in/out.
3. A third option is to use Piet's kit along with Frank's SKRM module.

I think I will soon look at a new pcb design to add stereo, signal re routing and mixing to allow the dry signal to pass through without going into the DSP. This will have the advantage of freeing up one of the FV-1 control pots to be used elsewhere.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Mbas974

Thanks Ice-9 !

Stereo sound will be great too !

Do you think it will be possible to have 2 separate effects processed at the same time (like a dual delay) ?
Did you ever consider to improve the analog signal treatment by adding a circuit close to BBE sonic maximizere (for istance) ?

Finally I think your board is the best option,
but I will go developing my own board using ATmel family... where I'm alreaky skilled.

dkmorb

Hey Mick,
I'm trying to assemble your circuit; I've just a question: can I use 1uF 100v instead of 16v? I've tons of Elna's...  :D

Bye.

slacker

Yes you can use 100v caps, 16v is just a good minimum value anything above that will work,  providing they'll fit.

slacker

What it happen whether the input signal exceed the tollerance ?

You can add some protection against large signals by adding a couple of diodes to the input of the FV-1 as shown in this schematic D1 and D2 clamp the input to just above 3.3 Volts peak to peak. I've tested this by running a large signal into the input of the design, the input opamp buffer clips at about 6 Volts peak to peak, so that is the signal getting to the FV-1, it survived without any damage after running the signal for a few minutes.