Quick question: Iron temperature?

Started by Jopn, September 11, 2013, 11:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopn

What temp do you guys normally run your soldering irons?  I think mine (digital) defaulted to 650F and I've been using that without any problems.  But I've always been curious if that would be considered higher than normal.

GGBB

Quote from: Jopn on September 11, 2013, 11:56:49 AM
What temp do you guys normally run your soldering irons?  I think mine (digital) defaulted to 650F and I've been using that without any problems.  But I've always been curious if that would be considered higher than normal.

There was a related post recently: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104192.msg932579#msg932579

So 650 is probably good.  I was using 650 for a while, but I've switched back to my station's default 750 and that seems to work better for me - but the station is new and I'm still playing around with the temp.  I'm interested in what others use too.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

I've always used a #7 in my weller, but don't know the temp. it has always seemed just a little slow to my liking, but a #8 is usually way too fast, except with a big-ended bit/ large joint.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Jopn

pickdropper

I usually solder at 720.  I bump to 810 when tinning Litz wire and occasionally bump it down to 660 if I am concerned about heat.

But 720 usually works fine.  I do minimize dwell time as much a possible.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: pickdropper on September 11, 2013, 02:24:14 PM
I usually solder at 720.  I bump to 810 when tinning Litz wire and occasionally bump it down to 660 if I am concerned about heat.

But 720 usually works fine.  I do minimize dwell time as much a possible.

I use around 320 on my cheap soldering station.

Seems fast enough to me.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

merlinb

I always turn mine to the hottest it will go. Same with cooking. I am real man.

pickdropper

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on September 11, 2013, 02:41:51 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 11, 2013, 02:24:14 PMI usually solder at 720.  I bump to 810 when tinning Litz wire and occasionally bump it down to 660 if I am concerned about heat.

But 720 usually works fine.  I do minimize dwell time as much a possible.

Seems fast enough to me.

Are you in Celsius or Fahrenheit?  I was posting F, but I assume yours is in C.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: pickdropper on September 11, 2013, 06:22:20 PM
Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on September 11, 2013, 02:41:51 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on September 11, 2013, 02:24:14 PM
I usually solder at 720.  I bump to 810 when tinning Litz wire and occasionally bump it down to 660 if I am concerned about heat.

But 720 usually works fine.  I do minimize dwell time as much a possible.

Seems fast enough to me.

Are you in Celsius or Fahrenheit?  I was posting F, but I assume yours is in C.

Yes Celsius, that what My cheap $16 Stahl says on it anyway. That makes more sense now. I was thinking WTH is wrong with you people!

I have this one $16 preshipping
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=374-100

Its been kicking ass for over a year now. Same tip. Still flows solder perfectly.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Kipper4

I have mine set for 355 degrees in English money
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

thelonious

I use an Aoyue 937+ and usually run it around 374C (~705F). After reading this thread I'm thinking about running it hotter...

PRR

• SUPPORTER

J0K3RX

I always set mine as high as it will go... you can get in and out fast, the less dwell time you spend on the solder joint/component the better. If you barely warm up the body of the component you are doing good. Speed + accuracy + good flow = good solder :icon_wink:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

greaser_au

Quote from: duck_arse on September 11, 2013, 01:24:12 PM
I've always used a #7 in my weller, but don't know the temp. it has always seemed just a little slow to my liking, but a #8 is usually way too fast, except with a big-ended bit/ large joint.

The  Weller 'fixed' temperature controlled irons (WTCPN, W61D) make use of a bizarre phenomenon where a magnetic alloy loses it's magentism at a particular temperature (the Curie point). A magentic slug on the back of the tip holds a switch in the on position, and at the Curie temperature it releases the switch, turning off the heater  (I know you know how this works, DA, - I think you said you already had to change a switch-  I've  just put it here for completeness for other readers' sake  :icon_wink:). The #7 tip's magnetic slug reaches it's Curie point at 700F (=371C), and the #8 is  800F (=426C).  The #7 is fine for all regular (Sn/Pb) 60/40 or 63/37 work.  I had to use  the #8  with 40/60 (used for the 'back' side joints on pins that would be later be soldered to after the board was mounted). I have used a #6 once or twice  in anger :)

Unlike other things in life, it IS ALL about the size - correct tip mass is important.   The heater is there to heat the tip - not the joint- and if the tip at proper temperature cannot melt the solder on the joint withing a couple of seconds,  the tip is just too small.  Some will wind up the temperature, and this works to a degree (groan) - but only in that it makes some extra joules available temporarily.  Consistently too hot and the tin boils off very quickly - creating a leady joint that is much harder to solder. It eats tips like crazy, too.  Soldering PCB like this will increase the overcuring of the glue that holds the tracks on and the failure rate will be much higher.

david

amptramp

duck_arse

greaser, if I had to use a #6, I'd be angry too.

I had a switch would stick off. no prob, sniff to see if it's hot, give a tap on the bench, away we go.

I've seen this happen .......
QuotePosted by: PRR
Insert Quote
Mine glows in a dark room.

I had a mate whose switch stuck on, we were in his front room wondering what the smell was, followed it to the back room to see his weller glowing red hot. it needed a new switch.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

trixdropd