Morning Glory

Started by Kipper4, September 16, 2013, 04:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper4

I used DIYLC and did a perfboard layout from Ian @madbeans etch.
Thanks to both of you for your contributions towards my sucesseful build.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

therealfindo

Quote from: GGBB on September 28, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
In case anyone's interested, I modified my BluesBreaker layout for the Morning Glory circuit - 2.2x2.0 will fit 1590B - pots and LED can be board mounted.  I changed the power protection - removed the anti-parallel P6KE120 fuse and added a series Schottky diode 1N5817.  Let me know if you build it or find any problems.

Layout:

Hi.. I've used this etch, populated and soldered it all up, but something has gone awry - with the gain and vol pots at 100% it's still quieter and all rather flubby/fizzy sounding, clearly not what it should sound like!
Only change being a 1M resistor at input instead of the 1.5M, because I didn't have any on hand - I tried a 2.2M and had the same problems, so I ruled that out as the culprit.

Does anyone know what the IC and transistor voltages ought to look like?

Here are my readings (V at PSU jack is 8.24):

LM833:
1) 2.48
2) 2.51
3) 1.33
4) 0
5) 2.26
6) 2.13
7) 2.22
8 ) 7.64

2N5457:
G) 0.18
S) 0.79
D) 0

Thoughts anyone??

GGBB

I'm not sure this is the only problem, but it's a big one - the layout is wrong.  Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I connected R16 (22K) to VB instead of V+.  You can fix this by pulling the top leg of R16 (nearest to R14) and pinning it to the cathode of the 1N5817 diode.

I'll fix the layout as soon as I can and go over it completely.

Again - so sorry about this - I am usually quite anal about checking my layouts.
  • SUPPORTER

therealfindo

Quote from: GGBB on February 27, 2014, 08:35:32 AM
I'm not sure this is the only problem, but it's a big one - the layout is wrong.  Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I connected R16 (22K) to VB instead of V+.  You can fix this by pulling the top leg of R16 (nearest to R14) and pinning it to the cathode of the 1N5817 diode.

I'll fix the layout as soon as I can and go over it completely.

Again - so sorry about this - I am usually quite anal about checking my layouts.

Hehe.. no worries - thanks for the easy fix! Sounds great now..

duck_arse

thereal, can you post yr voltages now? I was thinking that resistor wouldn't cause yr problem. the measures around the ic were out.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

therealfindo

Quote from: duck_arse on February 27, 2014, 09:16:17 AM
thereal, can you post yr voltages now? I was thinking that resistor wouldn't cause yr problem. the measures around the ic were out.

ah crumbs.. have boxed it up and was a bit delicate - it definitely fixed it, but if you need the readouts I can pull it apart again in a couple of days

GGBB

Fixed layout is now available:

Layout:

PCB Transfer (300DPI):

If anyone finds ANY problems, please let me know right away either via this topic or via PM.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

realy need it would be an overstatement, and we can't have that. never mind.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

therealfindo

Quote from: duck_arse on February 27, 2014, 10:01:29 AM
realy need it would be an overstatement, and we can't have that. never mind.

Sorry dude.. it found an instant place on my pedalboard for this weekend - stacks really nicely before my Timmy, as an 'always on' pedal.

POTL

GGBB

No - between +9V and VB (same as R1).
  • SUPPORTER

POTL

stallik

I thought the morning glory was a SHO

I'll get my coat
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

POTL

which gives an output buffer to 2N5457
in blues breaker and king (prince) of tone, he is not

POTL

Hey.
Today I collected this pedal on the breadboard.
The tone knob works terribly when connected to a separate VR,
(minimal changes in the sound), when connected to the VR, instead of a squeak sound, but it responds to the tone knob.
I solved the problem by connecting the tone knob to the ground instead of the VR.
The question is whether the tone knob really has a small range, who else tried to connect it to the ground?
What are the advantages of providing a connection to the half-board?

Groovenut

Quote from: POTL on February 08, 2017, 05:57:51 PM

I think the main purpose of the 2N5457 (aside from makeup gain, which is likely unnecessary) is to re-invert the signal back to being in phase with the input. IC1B is an inverting gain stage.

You've got to love obsolete technology.....

GGBB

Quote from: Groovenut on September 04, 2017, 01:05:45 PM

I think the main purpose of the 2N5457 (aside from makeup gain, which is likely unnecessary) is to re-invert the signal back to being in phase with the input. IC1B is an inverting gain stage.

It also buffers the tone stack from the output, which I believe lowers the otherwise high-ish output impedance.
  • SUPPORTER

POTL

Quote from: GGBB on September 04, 2017, 01:36:26 PM
Quote from: Groovenut on September 04, 2017, 01:05:45 PM

It also buffers the tone stack from the output, which I believe lowers the otherwise high-ish output impedance.
The amplifier can be made more useful by putting a toggle switch between a 12K resistor and a capacitor, in one position we will have a stock version, in the second one we will connect the capacitor directly to the transistor, this will give a noticeable increase in gain and slightly increase the volume.
The buffer after the volume setting a sense is still there.
Concerning my question, the first cascade can really be connected to the ground instead of VR, it makes the sound brighter (besides, you do not need to track, or you can connect components to the fill on the ground).
Look at the charts of Cmatmods Butah and Analogman KOT / POT

The tone adjustment I had to connect to the ground, since when connected to the VR were either oscillations or the adjustment was practically not working
When connected to the ground, it worked perfectly.
Again, inappropriately hold the path, the components can be connected to the fill

EBK

If it helps, here's my OD Puttanesca schematic, which is essentially a Morning Glory with madbean's 8-ball mods (or, to put it another way, it is like madbean's 8-ball with the Morning Glory JFET stage).  I recall it working just fine on the breadboard.  The final build is cursed by bad weather and lack of free time.

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.