Morning Glory

Started by Kipper4, September 16, 2013, 04:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POTL

Quote from: EBK on September 04, 2017, 05:37:30 PM
If it helps, here's my OD Puttanesca schematic, which is essentially a Morning Glory with madbean's 8-ball mods (or, to put it another way, it is like madbean's 8-ball with the Morning Glory JFET stage).  I recall it working just fine on the breadboard.  The final build is cursed by bad weather and lack of free time.

Thank you
But I've already tried everything I could, switching clipping seems boring to me, for this scheme, a soft clipping with 4 diodes is the best option for sound.
I'm more interested in the theory whether there is a difference where to connect the tone - to the ground or VR. Maybe there is no difference in theory?

GGBB

Quote from: POTL on September 04, 2017, 05:12:06 PM
The tone adjustment I had to connect to the ground, since when connected to the VR were either oscillations or the adjustment was practically not working
When connected to the ground, it worked perfectly.

With the tone section connected to ground, you will have continuous DC current passing through the tone pot, R13 and R14 to ground. Not only does that drain a battery faster, but it might cause noise when you adjust the pot, and maybe wear out the pot quicker. But it should sound about the same. When connected to Vbias, the DC potential is the same at both the signal and the return, so no DC current flows (theoretically). The oscillations are probably due to layout or build - earlier you stated "The tone knob works terribly when connected to a separate VR" which makes me wonder if you were connecting to a different DC bias point than the one use to bias the op-amp - if so that's probably why you have problems. I've built a nearly stock blues breaker with tone section to Vbias and it works fine.
  • SUPPORTER

POTL

Okay, I'll try to rebuild the circuit tomorrow.
Once you recommend not using the connection to the ground.
The potentiometer does not make any noise when adjusted (there is no such problem as in Zvex SHO).
Just with most circuits passive tone controls go to ground
What can you say about my idea with a boost?
The fact that the electrolytic capacitor will switch between a resistor and a transistor.
It will not hurt him?
C14 the first position - it is connected to R18, the second position it is directly connected to the source of the transistor bypassing R18

GGBB

Quote from: POTL on September 04, 2017, 06:41:34 PM

Usually tone controls are decoupled from DC, so the signal is biased at 0V, and therefore 0V is the tone control's DC reference. In this circuit the tone section is not decoupled from the DC bias of the op-amp, therefore the DC reference for the tone section is the op-amp's bias point.

The fact that the electrolytic capacitor will switch between a resistor and a transistor.
It will not hurt him?
C14 the first position - it is connected to R18, the second position it is directly connected to the source of the transistor bypassing R18

Yes - it will add gain and boost - but how does that make it more useful?
  • SUPPORTER

POTL

Quote from: GGBB on September 04, 2017, 07:50:42 PM

Usually tone controls are decoupled from DC, so the signal is biased at 0V, and therefore 0V is the tone control's DC reference. In this circuit the tone section is not decoupled from the DC bias of the op-amp, therefore the DC reference for the tone section is the op-amp's bias point.

It will not hurt him?

Yes - it will add gain and boost - but how does that make it more useful?

greater flexibility in sound. in my opinion it is more interesting than 3 clipping modes for Analogman Prince Of Tone.
In the connection mode through a resistor we have a classic transparent overdrive
when we connect a capacitor without a resistor, the sound becomes more aggressive, today I tried, I got enough geyna to play music in the spirit of Anthrax
It turns out that there will be no harm to the capacitor, if I put the toggle switch on and then connect it to the resistor then directly to the transistor?

POTL

In general, I collected again, the screech problem remained, I again decided to make a second VR and the tone adjustment works fine.
From the idea of ​​a boost with a tumbler and a capacitor, I refused, because of not quite pleasant sound at the high volume of my amplifier.

The other day I will try to collect a real fee and check how it will work.
Most likely the problem is that in the layouts I do not use power filters