photonic juergulator rev 1

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 18, 2013, 01:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vallhagen

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 20, 2013, 06:53:21 PM

not trying to be a bitch.... just want you guys to try it as envisioned before ya leave stuff out thinking it's unimportant.

Thanx for comments. And no, I don't think you're tryin to be a bitch ;D ... rather the opposite.

But just to explain how I thought in the first place: As your first (the one in the competition) version had 47k fixed + 470k fixed + 500k pot between Q2-s C and E it gives you an adjustable range between roughly 500k and 1M. Replacing them with just a 1M pot gives you and adjustable range 0-1M, which should cover it all. And I could argue for that if it is mounted as a trimmer, even if the trimmer range is unusable for the first halfturn.

Now on the other hand, as you move up to ver 1.0, 47k fixed + 470k fixed + 1M pot gives roughly an adjustable range from 0.5M to 1.5M. And that's a difference. Also, I notice that you skipped the trimmer in favor of an enclosure-pot.

So hey... I will come up with a new revised pcb design.

Cheerio!

Gus

Jimi

I believe I posted the following before.  Something else to try a two NPN version

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Vallhagen on September 21, 2013, 01:56:56 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 20, 2013, 06:53:21 PM

not trying to be a bitch.... just want you guys to try it as envisioned before ya leave stuff out thinking it's unimportant.

Thanx for comments. And no, I don't think you're tryin to be a bitch ;D ... rather the opposite.

But just to explain how I thought in the first place: As your first (the one in the competition) version had 47k fixed + 470k fixed + 500k pot between Q2-s C and E it gives you an adjustable range between roughly 500k and 1M. Replacing them with just a 1M pot gives you and adjustable range 0-1M, which should cover it all. And I could argue for that if it is mounted as a trimmer, even if the trimmer range is unusable for the first halfturn.

Now on the other hand, as you move up to ver 1.0, 47k fixed + 470k fixed + 1M pot gives roughly an adjustable range from 0.5M to 1.5M. And that's a difference. Also, I notice that you skipped the trimmer in favor of an enclosure-pot.

So hey... I will come up with a new revised pcb design.

Cheerio!

hi bengt,
yah, the original idea was to be able to just vary the pot a little bit, so 500k was good... but being able to take it up to 1.5m is twice the gain of the original circuit. it's subtle still, but really different and useable. i don't wire the unused pot terminal to the wiper, i figure the fixed resistors will be good enough, as you say, you can only adjust the pot half way if you do that, but as a variable resistor, it gives the full pot range.
so... you can go from 470k to 1.5m roughly. that's a good good thing!!!

going down on the input "harmonics" pot also makes a huge difference, too...

i just shot video, it's rendering... as soon as it's done, you guys will see why i'm raving about this!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

that looks cool, gus, have you built one yet? how does it sound?

will two npn's work and still do the same effect?

i like how you went with some simpler, more normal values... i like that a lot.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Gus

The bottom one is built and it sounds good.  It has the nice feedback.

I measured the hfes of the 2n2222s with the HF meter.
I am guessing a number of people use that type meter to measure hfe.

I have also built one with a 2n2907 and 2n2222 with different resistor values

I used a 100uf Al electrolytic to be closer to a 47uf tant ESR

davent

Hunting ebay for some 1N60's to give this project a shot, found a seller in Michigan, next door to me in Ontario, 2 diodes- 99¢ US, shipping to Canada- $23.99US... i'm going to keep looking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-1N60-Germanium-Diode-for-TV-FM-AM-Radio-Detection-/170852090875?pt=US_TV_Boards_Parts_Components&hash=item27c79403fb
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

pinkjimiphoton

dave, screw ebay!! get 'em on tayda for like a nickel a piece!!

gus... sounds good, i will give it a try one of these days!!

ok.... that said.... excuse the wanky wanky....

i present the stupidest pedal trick of all,
the photonic juergulator mk 1.5

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

davent

Sounds cool Jimi!

Tayda lists their 1N60's as Schottky's not germaniums so are you using the schottky's or have some germaniums? I can get some NOS germaniums out of Toronto, nearby would be here fast.  I see slews of 1N60P Schottky's coming out of the far east. Also a source in Turkey for germaniums at a comparatively reasonable price, but takes acouple weeks.

http://www.muzique.com/news/fake-ge-diodes/

Take care
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

pinkjimiphoton

cool, thanks dave....
in this one i'm using the glass ones with a black band on one side, which i guess is different from the 34, which has either 2 black ones or a green one.

them are shotkys? no foolin'.... i can't tell the diff tonally, i've been using them pretty much all the time lately instead of buying the glass ones...
i always seem to break half of 'em bending the leads, so i got frustrated.

but yah, i guess use the ge. the shotky's would probably work too, but may sound different.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Vallhagen

Didn't know about the two versions of 1n60 before, so thanx for info:)

Ive now had this JÜERRRRRGULATAHHH! thing up on my breadboard for a few hours, and I can verify its a fun thing:) ... It adds life. And gives a sound that a non-fuzz dude as me founds very pleasant on lead tones. Ive only played it bedroom-quiet, and I really long for boxing it up and try it out screamin feedbackin loud.

I had one Russian pnp with Hfe=62 in my drawer, perfect fo Q1. I picked a MPSA18 for Q2. I also tried an AC127 for Q2, but that didn't really sound good at all. I guess it need tweaking cuz of the big difference in Hfe between the ge and si one, so I stick with SI.

I don't have (any version of) 1N160 here either, so I picked another ge diod from my drawer: AA112.

Cheerio

pinkjimiphoton

fwiw, the shotky and ge sound real close to the same!!!

i am psyched you diggit, bengt, that makes me feel real good... today i kinda NEED that.

if you can go a bit lower on hfe for q1, you may like it even better... i'm sure an mpsa18 is a great choice for q2~

the ge for q2 needs to have pretty high gain if you go that route, i got one reading about 260 in there in the video demo and it's a little louder than the bc547.

this thing sounds even better into a distorted amp, or with a fuzz pushing it.

rock on!!   :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

Just got around to checking out the SPT video, Jimi.  Looks like I have yet another addition for my "to do" list!

BTW, I particularly enjoyed the "stupid glasses trick" at the beginning.  I'm always doing that...   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Bret608

Hey Jimi, is the layout of this at Tagboard the same as the version you're demoing just a few posts above this? Really, really liking how this sounds. Seems like you've unlocked some of the mysteries of what this circuit is capable of!  :)

pinkjimiphoton

read my notes in this thread or at tagboard. what you hear in the last video is the layout done by +mirosol from tagboard.

after he made it i changed the harmonics pot to 10k, and the tweak pot's name to focus and it's value to 1meg instead of 500k.

mine has a switchable q2, a bc547 with a gain of about 360 on one side of the switch, and an ac176 on the other with a gain of about 230 or so @about 6ma leakage. it balances nicely with the bc547 volume and tonally.

but yes, the tagboard effects layout is what you're listening to.

the two knobs are both subtle and radical at the same time. it's very weird how they interact. you almost can't tell they're doing something sometimes until you start playing thru it and it reacts totally differently...

and of course, to me the best part is that it cleans up like a fuzzface now... all them sparkly even order harmonics stay even when it's clean and crystally.

hope ya diggit when ya build it bro. peace.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Bret608

That makes perfect sense--thanks Jimi! I'll just make these notes when I print Miro's layout and I'll be good to go. I really appreciate that this uses such easy-to-source parts.

pinkjimiphoton

all good. i wanted something you could almost build with radio shack parts if ya had to.
the "mojo" is all in the setting... i bet the guy who invented it did it while looking at an o-scope like in this:

i downloaded an oscope so i can see what the juerg does, try and make a little more sense out of it.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Bret608

I just saw this for the first time yesterday. It's interesting. We hooked my working build and my f'ed up one to a scope at work this past Friday. The curve was similar to what is seen in that clip on my working one, whereas my oscillating, theremin-sounding one looked like this jagged, saw-tooth wave.

What caught my eye was how the whole line would move higher or lower on the grid depending on which diodes (ge, si, or no diodes) were in the circuit. I'll be curious if you see similar movement with your Q2 switch!

rutabaga bob

Nice, Jimi!  My build is underway  ;D   
  Larry
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

pinkjimiphoton

thanks larry.
haven't forgot about ya, too goddang busy
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr