hen's tooth cafe contestant, micmix dynaflanger

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 25, 2013, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 26, 2013, 01:55:01 PM
Quote from: armdnrdy on September 26, 2013, 10:48:36 AM
I found a higher resolution image of the Flanger doubler...Looks like a SAD1024 and a R5101. Talk about hen's teeth!

Is that the one you get if you google MXR Flanger Doubler with the hand written IC numbers?

Here is a very high resolution version of the Flanger Doubler - 12mb file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4waiamy5s4ex2s9/MXR%20Flanger%20Doubler.jpg

Stephan,
I was referring to this image in which you can see many of the ICs. This is a resized version, the original is more clear.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

StephenGiles

Is the WEM Infinite Flanger a hen's tooth contestant - 2 x MN3004!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 28, 2013, 11:29:40 AM

Stephen,

What puts the "WEM (Infinite) Hyper Flanger in the hen's tooth category is the fact that we do not know for certain where this circuit came from!

If you recall...I contacted Charlie Watkins (WEM) inquiring about this circuit. His response was "No. We never had such a thing"

I've searched the web very thoroughly and have not come up with a single clue to this circuits origin. The only thing I've found are references from you and the schematics that you posted.

I have a couple of MN3004s set aside for a crack at this when I get a few other projects out of the way. I just wish I could find a bit more information on the actual unit. A gut shot would be nice!

Do you still have your rack mount build? Any chance of a few pics?  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Digital Larry

Frank also said that he had his set up so that the envelope followed the high-frequency part of the signal (i.e. highpass before envelope).
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

StephenGiles

Quote from: armdnrdy on September 28, 2013, 12:30:06 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on September 28, 2013, 11:29:40 AM

Stephen,

What puts the "WEM (Infinite) Hyper Flanger in the hen's tooth category is the fact that we do not know for certain where this circuit came from!

If you recall...I contacted Charlie Watkins (WEM) inquiring about this circuit. His response was "No. We never had such a thing"

I've searched the web very thoroughly and have not come up with a single clue to this circuits origin. The only thing I've found are references from you and the schematics that you posted.

I have a couple of MN3004s set aside for a crack at this when I get a few other projects out of the way. I just wish I could find a bit more information on the actual unit. A gut shot would be nice!

Do you still have your rack mount build? Any chance of a few pics?  :icon_wink:

My rackmount build is in our attic somewhere, I'll have a look for it when I get a chance. My copy of the circuit does state - "WEM Hyperflanger" on 2 of the 3 sheets, and I got from the designer, Alan Bradford who was always very helpful. Now it may be of course that it never went into production. A Psychoacoustic Enhancer, Compressor and a Panner/Gate designed by the same man did go into production by a company with 3g in it's name based in Southend UK, or otherwise known as "London on Sea" !! There were articles published on all three units in Home & Studio Recording around 1988-89, but not for the Hyperflanger.

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

armdnrdy

Stephen,

Thanks for the info.

Did you ever have a PCB layout for the Hyperflanger...or did you route your own board?

Do you recall if it was one board or two?

Since there are two clocks in two BBD sections, I would like to start down the right path when I attempt this build.

StephenGiles

Quote from: armdnrdy on September 29, 2013, 10:39:01 AM
Stephen,

Thanks for the info.

Did you ever have a PCB layout for the Hyperflanger...or did you route your own board?

Do you recall if it was one board or two?

Since there are two clocks in two BBD sections, I would like to start down the right path when I attempt this build.

I bought a PBC from the designer - there was just one, and I think it was double sided to make matters worse!

armdnrdy

Once again....

Thanks for the info!

I don't mind double sided boards. I've made a few.....with a little bit of trial and error.  :icon_wink:

I'll have to keep the two clock/BBD sections short and well separated on opposite ends of the board, and use the other side of the board for a ground plane, power, and some signal traces if necessary.

StephenGiles

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 29, 2013, 03:57:56 PM
Here are much better scans of the WEM Hyperflanger.

Thanks a lot Stephen!

I have three different copies I found by scouring the net....all from your posts.
These are by far the best!
I'll have to go through my redraw to double check a few things.

StephenGiles

I have a feeling that the previous copies were taken with my old digital camera. I came accross my originals recently in a pile of papers which was inside my mixer box in our attic!

armdnrdy

I'm curious ???

What else could be in that attic?  :icon_eek:

StephenGiles

Apart from a couple of re-coned 1961 Jensen Blue speakers I'd be surprised if there is much else of interest unfortunately, unless............... ::)

Digital Larry

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 25, 2013, 12:41:35 PM
http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1743

Worth reading this thread as the person who claims to have designed it chimes in.  Last post is 6 years ago, but he does offer some technical info.
Digital Larry

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

The various envelope-follower modes can also be implemented with phasers if you think of it.

armdnrdy

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 25, 2013, 01:23:56 PM
dirk over at the pariah place said some info is missing from the edges of the schematics... it's so huge, i haven't checked..
so no idea if it's buildable as found.

I finally printed all four pages.....there are overlap sections that are cut off. It looks like it can be worked through but....there's the issue of no 512 stage BBDs readily available.

Here is a link to larger schematic files:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-119009.html

Digital Larry

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 25, 2013, 12:41:35 PM
"How do you get the doubling effect on your guitar?

I use a device called a Mic-Mix Dyna-flanger. There are actually two of them being used at the same time. You see, the Dyna-flanger has an envelope follower built into it. So if you set one of them up to go sharp when the envelope is hit hard, and the other one to go flat when the envelope is hit hard, then you're going to get this doubling effect wherever there's an actual pitch discrepancy in the notes, and it really sounds like two instruments playing the same thing."

I think he occasionally used a device known as "Steve Vai"... at least I read somewhere that little Stevie doubled all/some/most of FZ's solos on the "Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar" series.
Digital Larry

analogguru

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 28, 2013, 04:45:25 PM
...... I got from the designer, Alan Bradford who was always very helpful.
We are getting closer.

Quote from: StephenGiles
Now it may be of course that it never went into production. A Psychoacoustic Enhancer, Compressor and a Panner/Gate designed by the same man did go into production by a company with 3g in it's name based in Southend UK, or otherwise known as "London on Sea" !!
Sorry, I don´t get it.... The mentioned units were sold by  TIME MACHINE.

Quote from: StephenGiles
There were articles published on all three units in Home & Studio Recording around 1988-89, but not for the Hyperflanger.

Pro-Activator (Enhancer) : H&SR August 1988

Dual Noise Gate /Fader/ Panner :  H&SR September 1988

Dual Compressor/ Expander Gate: H&SR November 1988

Wgy I know this ?

Because after seeing the supicious schematics of the "Wem" Hyperflanger I looked it up.... the drawings reminded me too much to the "Time Machine" schematics printed in H&SR.

StephenGiles

analogguru - "Sorry, I don´t get it.... The mentioned units were sold by  TIME MACHINE."

Not sure about that, I'll check my Dual Noise Gate /Fader/ Panner & Dual Compressor/ Expander Gate rack panels when next in our attic but I think that TIME MACHINE were mainly designers - but I could be wrong, it's a long time ago and a lot of anoraks under the bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!

"supicious schematics of the "Wem" Hyperflanger" - suspicious? in what way?