hen's tooth cafe contestant, micmix dynaflanger

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 25, 2013, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 01, 2013, 03:01:28 AM
analogguru - "Sorry, I don´t get it.... The mentioned units were sold by  TIME MACHINE."

Not sure about that, I'll check my Dual Noise Gate /Fader/ Panner & Dual Compressor/ Expander Gate rack panels when next in our attic but I think that TIME MACHINE were mainly designers - but I could be wrong, it's a long time ago and a lot of anoraks under the bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!

"supicious schematics of the "Wem" Hyperflanger" - suspicious? in what way?

For the benefit of doubting analogguru!!!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.timemachinetechnology.com%2F&ei=GAlLUpKUEJKr0gW77YCYBQ&usg=AFQjCNE-STA0hnjigl99LARqIfTon-5yyA&sig2=I3-3MWhZ-fM7Xrez1Jdarg&bvm=bv.53371865,d.d2k
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

analogguru

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 01, 2013, 03:01:28 AM
analogguru - "Sorry, I don´t get it.... The mentioned units were sold by  TIME MACHINE."

Not sure about that, I'll check my Dual Noise Gate /Fader/ Panner & Dual Compressor/ Expander Gate rack panels when next in our attic but I think that TIME MACHINE were mainly designers - but I could be wrong, it's a long time ago and a lot of anoraks under the bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!

H&SR August 1988 (Enhancer) pg 66:
The Pro-Activator is available from: TIME MACHINE, Abbotsford, Deer Park Avenue, Teignmouth, Devon TQ14 9LJ
Dealer enquires welcome.

H&SR Setember 1988 (Noise Gate / Fader / Panner) pg 76:
QuoteThe Dual Noise Gate / Fader / Panner is available from: TIME MACHINE, Abbotsford, Deer Park Avenue, Teignmouth, Devon TQ14 9LJ
Dealer enquires welcome.

H&SR November 1988 (Compressor/Expander Gate) pg 58:
The Compressor / Expander is available from: TIME MACHINE, Abbotsford, Deer Park Avenue, Teignmouth, Devon TQ14 9LJ
Dealer enquires welcome.

So not a single "G" there in the companys name.

Quote from: StephenGiles
"supicious schematics of the "Wem" Hyperflanger" - suspicious? in what way?
Suspicious in that way that noone ever has seen or sold a Wem Hyperflanger.  A schematic without an actual unit is like an alleged murder without a dead body: suspicious.

BTW, do you want to see the highly confidential schematic of the Vox AC33 Deluxe Reverb ?  I can draw you one... :icon_wink:

StephenGiles

Yes of course they were sold through Time Machine at the date of publication of those articles in H & SR, but in due course they were marketed by 3 G Ltd (Third Generation), as you can see from the Actvator manual cover and Dual Noise Gate Fader Panner rack panel (bloody hard to scan!) in the following links:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uur7u3m8fpsqiy/Dual%20Activator.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7gutzvqyaygvo1/Panner%20gate.jpg

Did you follow the link to Alan Bradford's site? You will see on the WEM page of items designed  - "Hyperflanger". I have absolutely no idea if this unit was ever released.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 01, 2013, 05:08:03 PM
Did you follow the link to Alan Bradford's site? You will see on the WEM page of items designed  - "Hyperflanger". I have absolutely no idea if this unit was ever released.

I did....and I saw WEM Hyperflanger. (You're not losing it after all Stephen!  :icon_wink:)

I wonder why Charlie Watkins would have no recollection of this circuit whatsoever.

I might just see if I can contact Alan to see if he would offer up any more info on his design.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

StephenGiles

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 01, 2013, 08:53:05 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on October 01, 2013, 05:08:03 PM
Did you follow the link to Alan Bradford's site? You will see on the WEM page of items designed  - "Hyperflanger". I have absolutely no idea if this unit was ever released.

I did....and I saw WEM Hyperflanger. (You're not losing it after all Stephen!  :icon_wink:)

I wonder why Charlie Watkins would have no recollection of this circuit whatsoever.

I might just see if I can contact Alan to see if he would offer up any more info on his design.

[/quote]

In fact that stack of units to the right of the page showing WEM units designed by Alan Bradford appeared on an advert flyer he sent me, which included the Activator, Compressor, Noise Gate and Hyperflanger. I no longer have that unfortunately :icon_cry:

armdnrdy

I emailed Mr. Bradford this morning. Hopefully I'll get a reply.

Thanks for the clarification Stephen.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

StephenGiles

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 02, 2013, 09:56:03 AM
I emailed Mr. Bradford this morning. Hopefully I'll get a reply.

Thanks for the clarification Stephen.

It'll be interesting to see what he has to say after all these years.

StephenGiles

I have the Reticon data sheet for the R5101 - if required I will scan and upload.

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 04, 2013, 01:50:39 PM
I have the Reticon data sheet for the R5101 - if required I will scan and upload.

Please do Stephen.
I've searched the net and have found very little useful information about this IC save for people looking for one!
It looks like the later MXR analog delay and the Boss DM-1 used the 5101.....not much else!

StephenGiles

armdnrdy

Thanks Stephen!

Now we just have to keep on the look out for one of these things!

I bet somebody out there has a whole box full of them and doesn't even know what they are!  :icon_frown:

StephenGiles

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 04, 2013, 09:26:14 PM
Thanks Stephen!

Now we just have to keep on the look out for one of these things!

I bet somebody out there has a whole box full of them and doesn't even know what they are!  :icon_frown:

I found my unit which was actually sitting in the rack just 3 feet away from where I sit at my PC. My wife immediately demanded that I take it outside to get rid of the layer of dust on it - now done and initial photos taken of the board, so I'll stick them in Photoshop to see if they are useable - after breakfast that is, a chap has to eat!

StephenGiles

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k20p8bwjttvxnj/DSCF2776.jpg

This is a hand held shot of the component side of the PCB, not as sharp as I would get using a tripod unfortunately. For those scratching their heads, I put the LM13600 marking in the picture!

armdnrdy

You my friend are my hero!  ;D

I have been researching this flanger for over a year trying to get any additional info I can. I could find nothing!

This is like finding a living, breathing, Nessie in that big ole puddle in Scotland!

Thanks Stephen!

digi2t

Looks like I'm going to have to franchise the Hen's Tooth Café.  :icon_mrgreen:

Wow... and I thought getting a handle on the Project V Fuzz was cool. This is amazing! :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

armdnrdy

Stephen was kind enough and generous enough with his time to disassemble his Hyperflanger to supply me with images of the component and trace sides!

I've been eyeballing this project for a while.....even sourcing the "harder to get" components.

This flanger has two delay sections with an effect balance to mix varying degrees of delayed signal to the stereo output stages.
There is also a dry level control that mixes the dry signal with the wet at the output stages.

This Flanger is like running two flangers in stereo through a mixer....but it can be used in mono as well.

And to add to the fun....a phase reverse switch on channel A located before the mixing stage.

Thanks to Stephen......I know know what my next project is!  ;D

digi2t

Hmmm...

I wonder if this one can fit into a Morley enclosure...

and then you can set one side at a fixed speed, and vary the other via the foot pedal.

:icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

armdnrdy

Quote from: digi2t on October 05, 2013, 03:15:58 PM
Hmmm...

I wonder if this one can fit into a Morley enclosure...

and then you can set one side at a fixed speed, and vary the other via the foot pedal.

:icon_twisted:

Interesting idea but......I already have my hands full with a flanger in a Morley enclosure! I'm working on and will be finished with the off board wiring today!

UKToecutter

I'm re-doing the schematic at the moment but it's damn complex and some components are missing (no overlap on the schematic scans) and many unidentified.
But.......
In the interest of science and having fun I'm doing it anyway!!!
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

armdnrdy

Quote from: UKToecutter on October 05, 2013, 03:57:11 PM
I'm re-doing the schematic at the moment but it's damn complex and some components are missing (no overlap on the schematic scans) and many unidentified.
But.......
In the interest of science and having fun I'm doing it anyway!!!

We've got three flanger schematics and discussions rolling around in this thread.....but....I think you're working on the MICMIX correct?
I noticed the missing edge sections as well. I think for the most part....it can be worked through.

I remembered just yesterday that I had recently purchased a SAD512 thinking that I could build something that uses this BBD IC.
Well it turns out that I couldn't find anything that uses the SAD512! Every effect uses the SAD512D! The 512D except for the same stage amount is a completely different animal! The SAD512 would have to be retrofitted with a different clock to work in place of the 512D.

So......like I mentioned.....I was thinking yesterday......The MICMIX only uses half of the SAD1024....perfect candidate for the 512 that I have!

For unmarked transistor use 3904s. (Q5 is depicted as such) For the quad op amps, judging by the MICMIX's age, I would go with 324's.