hen's tooth cafe contestant, micmix dynaflanger

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 25, 2013, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKToecutter

Larry,

Yes, I think it can be worked through.
Thank you for the suggestions.  The 2n3904's will probably be right.
There is a part of a reference on what looks like U7 That starts TL0 so I'm guessing the unmarked chips could be TL072 / 74's
I'm having a brain fart looking at the input and output transformers at the moment.  Problem is, I have no idea what impedance these originals were.
I guess I'll spec out some basic hammonds and have a play.
If you don't mind having a look at the schematic when I've finished I would much appreciate it.

Regards

Andy
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

armdnrdy

If you look at the TLO...you'll see that it's a single op amp. Look at pin 5 and 8, they aren't inputs and power. The power pin is 7.
U7 should be a TLO71.

U7 is a dual. TLO72 or 82 will work

The quads could be TLO74s but it seemed more common back then to use 324s. I can't find a gut shot of this unit to verify.
I've switch out TL074s in a circuit that originally used 324s and had issues! I pulled them back out.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

UKToecutter

I'll check the pin assignments and see if there are any differences between the two.
If not, it's a moot point at this stage I guess.
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

mistake!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

armdnrdy

Unbelievable Stephen!

Where did you find those ads? I searched high and low many times and came up with nothing!

Here's the copied email from Reg Godwin to Charlie Watkins:

To: watkins@wemwatkins.co.uk

Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:15 PM

Subject: WEM hyperflanger enquiry

Hello Charlie,

I do hope you and June are keeping well.

I'm sorry to have been out of touch for so long. Things have been very hectic here and I have been trying to balance my day job with a multitude of projects.

Someone has contacted me about an effects unit called a WEM Hyperflanger which they think might have been produced in the 70s or 80s.

I don't recall this product ever being in any of the catalogues and wonder if it was a prototype or a figment of someone's imagination. There is a circuit floating around.

Any info would be gratefully received.

All the best,

Reg

And here's Charlie's reply:

To: Reg Godwin
Subject: Re: WEM hyperflanger enquiry

Dear Reg,

Thanks.

No.  we never had such a thing.

Best regards

Charlie

There is a word for when you get up in age and completely forget about something that you were directly involved in!  :icon_frown:
I just sent Reg an email containing the ad links.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

StephenGiles

It's quite extraordinary isn't it, I believe they call it a "senior moment"!

I found and scanned the actual high quality 4 page advert

This is interesting - http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wem-copicat-sound-builder-250260447

and here, scroll down :

http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/copicats.htm 

armdnrdy

Stephen,

After you supplied the link for Allan's sight, and I saw the "things I have done" listing for the WEM "Sound Builder series" Hyperflanger, I googled WEM Sound Builder Series.

The only references that came up were for the Digital Copicat.

The second link that you posted is Reg Godwin's site. Reg is a huge Watkins collector. Charlie Watkins "gave" all of the Watkins Guitar patents to Reg.

Once again, great find on the ads!

Tonemonger

I'm almost certain that series was reviewed in either Music Technology or Home and Studio Recording magazine ( both UK publications ) some time in the late 80's.
I remember seeing the flanger and freaking out over how awesome it looked !
I'll have a look to see if I still have that issue But , I did lose some to water damage.

armdnrdy

Hey JB,

Did you ever get that Orange Phaser running?

StephenGiles

Quote from: Tonemonger on October 08, 2013, 10:44:33 PM
I'm almost certain that series was reviewed in either Music Technology or Home and Studio Recording magazine ( both UK publications ) some time in the late 80's.
I remember seeing the flanger and freaking out over how awesome it looked !
I'll have a look to see if I still have that issue But , I did lose some to water damage.

Certainly the Activator, Compressor and Noise Gate were - all with schematics, as noted in Analogguru's earlier disbelieving post, but I have no recollection of a Hyperflanger article. I did post a couple of soundfiles here some years back of the Hyperflanger set for TZF.

pinkjimiphoton

wow. this is kinda amazing to watch unfurl!! <pink munches on screaming yellow zonkers>  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

GodSaveMetal

It´s and intersting proyect, but I have a proposal, make it be posible to be in MN3007 BBD circuitry!! all the rest is easy to find in my land; cuze I have plenty of them (the 3080, 13600, tl072, 082, LM324........none of MN3004), please please!!! I love the FLANGERS; I stay tuned on this interesting FLANGER :icon_eek:

armdnrdy

Quote from: GodSaveMetal on October 12, 2013, 09:39:12 PM
It´s and intersting proyect, but I have a proposal, make it be posible to be in MN3007 BBD circuitry!! all the rest is easy to find in my land; cuze I have plenty of them (the 3080, 13600, tl072, 082, LM324........none of MN3004), please please!!! I love the FLANGERS; I stay tuned on this interesting FLANGER :icon_eek:

Can you source TDA1022 or MN3204? The Hyperflanger needs two 512 stage BBDs....the 3007 is a 1024 stage.

GodSaveMetal

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 12, 2013, 10:57:00 PM
Quote from: GodSaveMetal on October 12, 2013, 09:39:12 PM

Can you source TDA1022 or MN3204? The Hyperflanger needs two 512 stage BBDs....the 3007 is a 1024 stage.

It´s dificult to sourse TDA1022 there are used one´s!; the MN3204 nop!! It is posible to make a MN3007 to 512 stages?? if not I have one TDA1022 and seeking for another one!!!!

Please make a PCB of this I´m interesting of this excelent FLANGER!!!

GodSaveMetal

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 05, 2013, 08:15:54 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k20p8bwjttvxnj/DSCF2776.jpg

This is a hand held shot of the component side of the PCB, not as sharp as I would get using a tripod unfortunately. For those scratching their heads, I put the LM13600 marking in the picture!

You will post other photos of this??? PCB side; components values and wethever to make a lay for this wow!!!!!!!!!! Thanks man; it a pleasure to see wath you have!!!!!

digi2t

QuoteCan you source TDA1022 or MN3204?

Recently bought some TDA1022's from UT Source for my Son of Stormtide Flanger build.

They're still available.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Govmnt_Lacky

I really wish I could find something that uses all these Reticon R510(x) chips that I have!  :icon_evil: I have several 256, 512, and 1024-stage devices.

Did the EHX DEM but, I am still looking for other uses.

Initially, it inspired me to try designing something  :icon_eek: but, alas.... the inspiration faded  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'