NEED HELP ON CAPACITORS AND FREQUENCIES..TECH HELP

Started by panterica83, September 27, 2013, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panterica83

IM MODDING A TS808 AND WOULD LIKE THE 800 MID FREQUENCY TO BE THE MAIN FREQUENCY AND WAS NOT SURE WHICH CAP I NEEDED. I KNOW THE ORIGINAL TS808 CAP IS .047UF, SO IS THE 800FREQ A .068UF CAP.?

THANKS,SEAN

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: panterica83 on September 27, 2013, 06:19:16 PM
IM MODDING A TS808 AND WOULD LIKE THE 800 MID FREQUENCY TO BE THE MAIN FREQUENCY AND WAS NOT SURE WHICH CAP I NEEDED. I KNOW THE ORIGINAL TS808 CAP IS .047UF, SO IS THE 800FREQ A .068UF CAP.?

THANKS,SEAN

I think you are more looking to adjust the tone control. The schematic I see shows the .047uF in the clipping section.

Which might not do what you want.
If you want to get some serious knowledge on it I would suggest reading
The Technology behind the tube screamer at GEOFex. http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/TStech/tsxfram.htm
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Kesh

HEY SEAN. CAPS LOCK IS THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING IN SOMEONE'S FACE.

read the article. there's a low pass just after the clipping section set at about 700Hz, maybe change the 0.22 cap to a 0.15 to place it a little above the 800Hz area you want

maybe replace the 4.7K to ground in series with a cap from the clipping diodes with a 5k6 too.

panterica83

haha didn't even notice the caps... hahah

thanks guy's, ill take a look tonight.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Kesh on September 27, 2013, 07:26:36 PM
HEY SEAN. CAPS LOCK IS THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING IN SOMEONE'S FACE.

read the article. there's a low pass just after the clipping section set at about 700Hz, maybe change the 0.22 cap to a 0.15 to place it a little above the 800Hz area you want

maybe replace the 4.7K to ground in series with a cap from the clipping diodes with a 5k6 too.

Actually after reading the page myself the 4.7k and .047uF  in the clipping section do affect frequency response.

However a .068 will lower the frequency vs raising it to 800 as the op wants. It currently has a corner frequency at 720

panterica83

im looking for a .042uf capacitor to set me around the 806. range but it's not very easy.. i noticed i just needed the calculate the ohms resistance to the cap.

anyone know a place i could snag a few .042uf capacitors for a decent price, ebay 16.00 dollars, ouch

thanks,sean

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: panterica83 on September 27, 2013, 10:59:36 PM
im looking for a .042uf capacitor to set me around the 806. range but it's not very easy.. i noticed i just needed the calculate the ohms resistance to the cap.

anyone know a place i could snag a few .042uf capacitors for a decent price, ebay 16.00 dollars, ouch

thanks,sean

Buy a 43k ohm from here and put it in parallel with the 4.7k
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=663

that will give you a frequency of around 801hz

Kesh

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on September 27, 2013, 10:24:38 PM

Actually after reading the page myself the 4.7k and .047uF  in the clipping section do affect frequency response.

However a .068 will lower the frequency vs raising it to 800 as the op wants. It currently has a corner frequency at 720
it is a high pass so you want to lower it well below 800 to let the 800 through that OP wants

alexradium

not much sense to me changing a cap by 10% of its value in a 1st order filter,you can't hear the difference by ear,not to mention the tolerance of the cap itself.
same story about frequency,are you able to discern 723 Hz from 800?

amptramp

I wouldn't raise the low frequency turnover of a signal path without looking at all the AC coupling in the signal path.  Each coupling capacitor introduces a -6 db response at the corner frequency.  If you have four stages with the turnover at 800 Hz, you get a voltage at -24 db at 800 Hz.  Make sure the entire signal chain has enough response at the frequencies of interest.  You may want to leave it as is or change the turnover of other devices before and after the TS.

panterica83

got ya, thanks guys! this is alot of help, what about for stacking ic chips, what type of dpdt switch should i use for the screamer lab schematic? the on, on ,on or the on, off, on dpdt?

thanks,sean