Madbean's deadringer, can't seem to find on/on/on sw

Started by JebemMajke, September 29, 2013, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JebemMajke

Hello, i've made this thing without even noticing that on/on/on sw, and while wiring everything to the board the little bastard caught my attention. I don't gave any dpdt on/on/on sw, and since they are so god damned expensive i was wondering if I could use on/off/on with different wiring of course? Or at least regular dpdt?

The whole project is here
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Deadringer/docs/DeadRinger.pdf

duck_arse

well, if they drew the circuit a bit more carefully, it would be easier to see what was actually connected to that switch. and if the bom says dpdt, it can only be on/on or on/off/on. on/on/on is three throws, not two.

I love switch problems, but that circuit and that wiring diagram has me baffled.
don't make me draw another line.

slacker

You need an DPDT on-on-on a normal DPDT or on-off-on can't do the same thing. The options the on-on-on give are as follows:

Switch Up - B 1 & 2 connected (Mos/Sil)  - A 1 & 2 connected (No connection)
Switch middle - B 1 & 2 connected (Mos/Sil) - A 2 & 3 connected (connection)
Switch down - B 2 & 3 connected (no clippers) - A 2 & 3 connected (connection)

So the options it gives are clipping diodes or no clipping diodes and R13 connected or not connected.

You could get the same options by not using FCV_B and using a SPDT On-Off-On for Mos/sil with would give Mos-none-Sil then use a SPST for FCV_A.

JebemMajke

slacker

JebemMajke

A middle lug of the new clipping sw ( on off on ) goes to R8, right?

slacker

Yes, you could connect it where FCV_B B1 is supposed to go.

duck_arse

@ slacker - thanks. I was thinking about a c&k I ran across many many years ago, fooled all of us till the boss came w/ his meter. we got a lecture. I can't for the life of me remember that switch though, I think it had 9 lugs.

don't make me draw another line.

bean

Quote from: JebemMajke on September 29, 2013, 11:00:35 AM
Hello, i've made this thing without even noticing that on/on/on sw, and while wiring everything to the board the little bastard caught my attention. I don't gave any dpdt on/on/on sw, and since they are so god damned expensive i was wondering if I could use on/off/on with different wiring of course? Or at least regular dpdt?

The whole project is here
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Deadringer/docs/DeadRinger.pdf

The switch is available for a whopping $2.80 :)
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=900

JebemMajke

The man himself.
First I want to to thank you for being such a cool guy and for sharing your pcb design with all of us. And though lately i've been doing my own pcbs in eagle, from time to time I use one of yours.

That being said. I live in Serbia, and those switches are not easy to obtain here. And even if you happen to stumble upon one that little prick will probably cost 10-15euros, which is 13.5-20.5 $. Plus our customs officers are bastards and from time to time they just toss away orders. Mainly because they only know Serbian language.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: slacker on September 29, 2013, 11:30:36 AM
You need an DPDT on-on-on a normal DPDT or on-off-on can't do the same thing.

Yep. I built this circuit for someone I know and had to use that type of switch. Never knew they had such a thing before that.  :icon_confused:

bean

Quote from: JebemMajke on September 30, 2013, 10:44:36 AM
The man himself.
First I want to to thank you for being such a cool guy and for sharing your pcb design with all of us. And though lately i've been doing my own pcbs in eagle, from time to time I use one of yours.

That being said. I live in Serbia, and those switches are not easy to obtain here. And even if you happen to stumble upon one that little prick will probably cost 10-15euros, which is 13.5-20.5 $. Plus our customs officers are bastards and from time to time they just toss away orders. Mainly because they only know Serbian language.

Ahh...understood! In that case, I suggest changing the switching around. Use a dpdt, center off, to switch between the two sets of clipping diodes with the center position being no clipping. Then use either an spdt or spst for the flat mids. You will end up with all the stock options plus extra. The extra is flat mids with no clipping diodes. This may not sound good...never tried it.

JebemMajke

I've tried it, i mean the extra option; it's a "cleanish" flat sound ... kinda different. Not bad, but nothing phenomenal.