DIY bending brake for enclosures - POST YOUR SETUP

Started by Mac Walker, October 07, 2012, 05:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rutabaga bob

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

rutabaga bob

New post - too late to edit...
  I have looked at 2 or 3 bending brakes on the internet, but they have been designed like the old-time box and pan-style brakes...I never even thought to emulate the ram-style machine!  Doh!  I went out in the garage last night and put a piece of thinner aluminum over an inverted piece of angle-iron, then took another angle and forced it down into the first.  The result was very encouraging...I'll have to work up some kind of fixture.  Thanks!
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

duck_arse

well, it's not really a brake, but it is for bending.

above is my old bender, really just a jig, actually just a block of wood. also shown the resultant bend, and some boxes w/ holes (wrong places/ too many) waiting for  .... something.

above is my new (in as much as I just put it together) bender. really just 2 blocks of wood w/ some shelving angle. now I'm messing-up sloped front boxes as well. shown w/ first 2 bends, my aluminium anvil, actually just a dead weight, and a persuader.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Mustachio

Very cool set up duck! Love the anvil! And cool looking enclosures, the slope front ones remind me of the LMBHeeger boxes .
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

wildebelor

Quote from: duck_arse on November 24, 2013, 08:06:20 AM

above is my new (in as much as I just put it together) bender. really just 2 blocks of wood w/ some shelving angle. now I'm messing-up sloped front boxes as well. shown w/ first 2 bends, my aluminium anvil, actually just a dead weight, and a persuader.

Do you mind explaining how your process works?
I'm relatively new to working with metal and would love to make some boxes like this!

Thanks,

Nic
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

duck_arse

well I'm certainly no expert, but I'll post my method (in a seperate thread). this style box needs a fair amount of woodwork for the side plates, as well.

tubegeek

Quote from: Mustachio on December 23, 2013, 01:11:00 AM
the slope front ones remind me of the LMBHeeger boxes .

I like them better myself!

Quote from: duck_arse on December 23, 2013, 08:26:25 AM
well I'm certainly no expert, but I'll post my method (in a seperate thread). this style box needs a fair amount of woodwork for the side plates, as well.

I'd read that thread. Just sayin'.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

wildebelor

Quote from: tubegeek on December 23, 2013, 08:53:16 AM

Quote from: duck_arse on December 23, 2013, 08:26:25 AM

I'd read that thread. Just sayin'.

+1 on that!  :icon_biggrin:
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

duck_arse

well, you asked for it. it is very long, would anybody like to edit it for me? and there is still bits left out.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105535.msg950873;topicseen#msg950873