News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

First Build

Started by Straichen, October 02, 2013, 06:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straichen

Hey ya'll. I'm new to the board and just finished my first stompbox project. It's the Ursa Minor that is sold as a kit at Small Bear Electronics. It's not much to look at, but I'm proud all the same, and thought it might be fun to see the first project you guys have worked on!

Straichen

Straichen

jimilee

That looks nice! No guts, no glory!

Pojo

This is my first project from last spring sometime....I was using a multi-effect (boss gt-3) prior to that to cover most of my non-distortion effects with my amp providing the core tone, after like 10 years the multi-effect finally died. That proved to be a blessing in disguise as without the tone suck from it, my tone just opened up. So I went on a kick to preserve as much of that straight up guitar -> amp tone as possible while I, one pedal at a time, replaced the sounds I could no longer get from the gt-3. At the time, I really hadn't a clue I would get so deep in the DIY thing and figured I'd just be getting common, mass produced, buffered bypass pedals. So here it is....the 5 channel true bypass looper. Soldered up with a cheap Walmart iron who's tip didn't even survive this project from beginning to end.  ::)

I don't have a gut shot right now, not sure I really want to post one either...really just a bunch of wires with sloppily soldered switches. I really ought to redo it, I've gotten so much better since then and I actually have the proper tools for the job.  ;)

tubegeek

Quote from: Pojo on October 06, 2013, 04:54:43 PM...and I actually have the proper tools for the job.  ;)

Well, where's the challenge in that? Build yourself a pedal using only a steam iron and a coat hanger, then you're REALLY a DIY'er!
;D

Nice looking looper!

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

duck_arse

steam iron! non-stick baseplate?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Kipper4

Fuzz face from my old wok? :)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Kipper4 on October 08, 2013, 12:03:36 PM

I might have to do this as a joke.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

bluebunny

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on October 09, 2013, 02:00:06 AM
Quote from: Kipper4 on October 08, 2013, 12:03:36 PM

I might have to do this as a joke.  :icon_lol:

Make sure you remove the handle first, Mike.

:icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

no trigger guard! how very irresponsible of you!

[what_the_hell_do_I_know_about_guns] do those things supposed to have trigger guard, or won't the cokk-action thing work then? [/what_the_hell_do_I_know_about_guns]

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: duck_arse on October 10, 2013, 10:48:59 AM
no trigger guard! how very irresponsible of you!

[what_the_hell_do_I_know_about_guns] do those things supposed to have trigger guard, or won't the cokk-action thing work then? [/what_the_hell_do_I_know_about_guns]

That is a strange looking gun that I have never seen. A lever action shotgun? Weird short stock? I'm sure the trigger goes through the lever though. I would assume the guard isn't there for like ranchers with bulky gloves. BUT... The lever hoop isn't enlarged for the glove. So this gun is a mystery to me.  :icon_lol:

EDIT....   I found this   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1887/1901   
It seems to be a sawed off barrel and shortened stock. I still can't explain the trigger guard.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Schizo910

I'm a fellow newbie.
My first build ever a MuffFuzz clone.

Second build I did last week is a MXR distortion+ clone kit.

So now I've got the hang of it, I'm hooked. I've started my third, it will be a Woolly Mammoth clone. I've started on it, but am now waiting for some components. So I started on it's enclosure. Still searching for an etching technique I feel comfortable with...

peterg

Nice steampunk look to your work!

Jdansti

Mine was a Gaines noise gate.

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Schizo910

duck_arse

that first one is a cracker of a build, schizo, first or fiftyth, it looks good. better than good, it looks great.

have you thought of a way to make the gears, like on the third pic, functional, ie as ersatz knobs?

Schizo910

Thank you so much! The gears are really just for the looks. But you gave me an idea for a future project!   :icon_wink: