Mini PCB mount Rotary 1P8T switches (help me source some)

Started by drolo, October 03, 2013, 10:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

Recently I came across these kind of rotary switches :

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/150964261711?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

They are small and have the same height as PCB mount 16mm right angle alpha pots. I have bougt some and love them.
But i have only found 2P4T and 1P3T versions of it, and only on ebay.

I would love to have some 1P8T in that format.

Does any one know of something similar that can be easily sourced?

Mark Hammer

I've found that rotary switches, at least the humanly affordable kind, only come in values using divisors of 12.  So, you can get 1x12, 2x6, 3x4, 4x3, and any of the "lower" versions, like 1x3, 2x3, 2x4, 1x6, etc.  If either the number of positions, or the number of poles, does not divide evenly into 12, they are usually harder to find.  Not impossible, just not an item made by multiple manufacturers in large quantity, hence cheap and easily available.

Following this rationale, 8 positions is not going to be very easy to find.  Is a 4-position switch that houses 2 "banks" (toggle selectable) unworkable?

armdnrdy

Quote from: darryl on October 03, 2013, 01:14:28 PM
Here You Go a Great Switch

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18731

That is a nice switch at a very reasonable price but......does anyone have a "fix" for the 1/8" shaft?
Is there any way to make a bushing/adapter to use standard 1/4" knobs?
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

davent

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 03, 2013, 01:30:00 PM

That is a nice switch at a very reasonable price but......does anyone have a "fix" for the 1/8" shaft?
Is there any way to make a bushing/adapter to use standard 1/4" knobs?

From an old thread.

Quote from: davent on March 31, 2008, 10:56:00 PM
Hello
I needed  to convert a 1/4" knob for use on 1/8" pot shaft. To do it, clamped a board to the drill press table chucked up a 1/4" drill bit and drilled a shallow hole (the same depth as the knob hole) into the board, . Took a piece of 1/4" brass rod the same length as the knob hole depth and stuck it into the hole just drilled in the board still clamped to the drill press table. Changed the drill bit for a 1/8" (pot shaft diameter) then drilled through the brass rod and had a perfectly centered hole. Took the rod out of the piece of wood, clamped it up in a vice and drilled a hole through the side to allow the knob set screw to pass through. Job done.

You may need to get a longer set screw to reach from the threaded section of your knob to the pot shaft or you could tap the side hole you drill through the insert  you make.

Have fun!
dave

I recall a more recent thread where i think there may have been a link to bushings at McMaster-Carr that will do the job.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

drolo

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 03, 2013, 01:08:37 PM
I've found that rotary switches, at least the humanly affordable kind, only come in values using divisors of 12.  So, you can get 1x12, 2x6, 3x4, 4x3, and any of the "lower" versions, like 1x3, 2x3, 2x4, 1x6, etc.  If either the number of positions, or the number of poles, does not divide evenly into 12, they are usually harder to find.  Not impossible, just not an item made by multiple manufacturers in large quantity, hence cheap and easily available.

Following this rationale, 8 positions is not going to be very easy to find.  Is a 4-position switch that houses 2 "banks" (toggle selectable) unworkable?

a 2x4 with a switch would be workable but that's an additional switch :( in an already too crowded pedal.

I just assumed hat the company making that 2x4 shown above must certainly also make a 1x8.
I bought them in a pack of 20 for less than 1$ each.
It will probably remain one of those wholesale mysteries ...

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

davent

Looks like a good option, i was just went with what was on hand.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Ice-9

Now if I could find a 3 or 4 bit binary version in that size I would be really happy.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

armdnrdy

Quote from: davent on October 03, 2013, 02:30:01 PM
Looks like a good option, i was just went with what was on hand.

I know the feeling! It seems as though I'm constantly fabbing something out of whatever is lying around.
Legos, sprinkler parts, toy magnifying glasses....you name it!  :icon_wink:

drolo

this one looks perfect indeed. The shaft would be a minor problem. Otherwise the size would fit.

A pity this shop doesn't accept orders smaller than 50$ outside the US...

I will try to find it somewhere else

tubegeek

A 1x12 is sometimes adjustable by changing the position of a stop - have you hacked up one of your valuable 89 cent switches yet to see what makes them tick? Sometimes it's just re-seating a washer with a prong sticking out. Depends on the switch though.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

drolo

Quote from: tubegeek on October 03, 2013, 07:34:28 PM
A 1x12 is sometimes adjustable by changing the position of a stop - have you hacked up one of your valuable 89 cent switches yet to see what makes them tick? Sometimes it's just re-seating a washer with a prong sticking out. Depends on the switch though.

They're completely sealed :-( the only moving part is the rotating shaft

Fender3D

Quote from: tubegeek on October 03, 2013, 07:34:28 PM

Like this http://www.banzaimusic.com/Rotary-Switch-1x12-Pins.html
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

tubegeek

Quote from: drolo on October 04, 2013, 06:20:52 AM
They're completely sealed :-( the only moving part is the rotating shaft

I said "hacked up" not "inspected" !

Get out a razor saw or Xacto knife or something and see what you can do to them - @ <$1.00 what are you waiting for? At the very least you'll have some good parts for cool earrings.

;P
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Ice-9

I'm now using these 1P8T switches from musickding at 1.90euro. The little pcb is what I have made to suit the switch for my purpose.

The only problem for me is that they are a 6mm shaft and all my pots are 6.35mm so Its new knobs needed.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

bluebunny

Quote from: Ice-9 on November 22, 2013, 11:58:08 AM
The only problem for me is that they are a 6mm shaft and all my pots are 6.35mm so Its new knobs needed.

For a third of a millimetre, I'd wrap a bit of tape around the shaft?
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...