True-bypassing a TS-5, do I keep the output buffer ?

Started by Tone-Analyst, October 08, 2013, 03:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tone-Analyst

It has the dreaded Toshiba chip but I like the sound.. only thing is it sucks tone reasonably much when turned off. I think it's worth transplanting in a good box.
I read a bunch of info about that and it seems most sites suggest keeping the input and output buffers. I wonder is it because it's less complicated, or is it better tone-wise to keep em ? Many 'barebone' schematics end the circuit after the 'Level' pot wiper so I was wondering. Thx

GibsonGM

When in doubt, keep them. Esp. if you're seeing it done that way a lot.  I don't have the schematic here to take a look, but that would be my guess.  The output buffer is less important, IMO, depending on what follows the TS.  But if it's already there - why mess with it? *shrug*
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Tone-Analyst

I'm gonna try both ways and find out. It must make a difference because for example an Ibanez 60's Fuzz (Soundtank) is a Big Muff with input and output buffers for 'false'-bypass switching and it sounds like, worse to say the least.. than a real Muff. If they suck the tone of the clean signal when the effect is off, why wouldn't they also suck the tone of the actual effect  :-\

GibsonGM

I'm sure they do. You might get a BETTER effect without the darn things!  Or without one of them.

Just that you won't have what they engineers designed.   But that might be a good thing :o)  Fuzzes are one of the few things that don't like a buffer - they are NOT the same with them, as you know!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Gus

I have not heard a properly working TS5 suck tone.  The buffer design is OK

Maybe something is not working correctly in your TS5

mremic01

Yeah, the TS-5 was a great value. Great buffered bypass. I've got three and I've never noticed any tone suck. The only downside was the plastic enclosure and cheapo switching mechanism. These days it seems like they go for more than they're worth on ebay though.

My best sounding screamer builds have all been Son of Screamers though. Not sure why, since I love my OD808. The full circuit TS's I've put together are usually not quite as nice.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.