enclousre help...and a grounding question

Started by bufferz, October 09, 2013, 04:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bufferz

So I am stuffing a pedal inside of an old gameboy for a friend.

I had to crack it open with force, now I have sanded the edges to align but I am looking for creative ways to bind the top and bottom, initally I was thinking super glue, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any less permananet solutions.

Also, since this is all plastic is there anything i need to know about grounding that would be different than a metal enclousure?

Cheers

GibsonGM

Neat idea, ha ha!  You could just put some flat tabs, maybe 2 per side, and put a self-tapping screw on either half to hold it all together.

With a plastic enclosure, beware - you usually have to shield them. That means that inside, you have to line it all with foil.  The foil 'becomes your ground' - your neg. jack connections and board ground tie to it.  This will keep it from picking up tons of noise.  Same way you shield under a plastic pickguard.

I use spray contact adhesive to hold the foil in things like this.  Make sure the foil on both halves is tied together so it's continuous.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

SmoothAction

Siiiiiiick!!!

Faraday cage of course.

Dealing with only the gameboy enclosure is not mechanically sound though. I'm surprised you were able to even drill holes in that. After all these years I'd expect the plastic it's made of to be brittle as hell. If a little kid can break those, I would expect a full grown man could literally tear one in half 'Napoleon Dynamite' style. Then throw it over a mountain.

That device was my childhood. There's no way I could stomp on it. You could put it in a block of casting resin though... That would be cool.
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

bufferz

Ok, heres the finished product. I decided to go with superglue to fasten the enclosure  ;D

....the downside: the fumes made the screen cloudy  :icon_frown: oh well

Kipper4

Looks like you did the momentary switch tails mod.
I would love to do it on my rebote any tips please?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

bufferz

Sure, I just added a momentary swicth whiich when depressed adds a 15k resisior between lugs 2 and 3.

psychedelicfish

Next challenge: build a pedal inside an old nokia phone!
If at first you don't succeed... use bigger transistors!

bufferz

haha, not much smaller than the gameboy those old nokias

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...