Ticking time bomb

Started by armdnrdy, October 10, 2013, 06:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

I've finished the Mutron Flanger build except for one problem that I'm trying to solve.

I've got the usual LFO ticking who's frequency changes with the rate control.
I've tried some of the usual "fixes" (TL022s in the LFO, large caps across various ICs power supply, etc.)

I was eyeballing the schematic when I had a thought!  :icon_eek:

The LFO (IC5, IC6) is sharing the same voltage reference as the signal path. (Did you warn me about this R.G.?)
I had the idea to supply the LFO with it's own local voltage reference. (upon a bit a research....I found that Mark Hammer came up with this fix for the Zombie Chorus.)

The board is laid out in such a way that all I have to do is cut a trace, spin a resistor 45 degrees, and add two 10Ks for the reference divider.

Any thoughts on this or any other ticking fix?

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

Well....it seems as if I've diffused the bomb, now I have to destroy it!

I disconnected the onboard pin connectors (made with RG174) between the input/output jacks and the effect in/out switch. 
I connected a couple of off board jacks to the connectors and the ticking stopped.

The problem was at the input jack. The rate control traces pass by that area and the RG174 shield is connected locally.
I have a bit of testing to do to find the exact cause and a permanent fix....but at this point it seems as if it's nothing major.
Good news!  ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

GibsonGM

Good deal!  A variation on a classic approach :o)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...