Author Topic: ENGL PREAMP - NOISE GATE - FX LOOP ~ SCREAMIN EAGLE  (Read 5092 times)

temol

Re: ENGL PREAMP - NOISE GATE - FX LOOP ~ SCREAMIN EAGLE
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 03:58:12 AM »
So... I've made short comparison of two sets of J201s. First set - TO92 package, bought from aliexpress. Vgs ~ -1.9V. Second set - SOT23 MMBFJ201, bought them from TME, Vgs ~ -0,7-0,8V.
There are 6 samples. All settings the same, except gain knob. First sample - TO92, second sample SOT23, #3 - TO92, etc..
Picture is worth a thousand words

And soundcloud link

T.

statzern

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 06:25:23 AM »
So... I've made short comparison of two sets of J201s. First set - TO92 package, bought from aliexpress. Vgs ~ -1.9V. Second set - SOT23 MMBFJ201, bought them from TME, Vgs ~ -0,7-0,8V.
There are 6 samples. All settings the same, except gain knob. First sample - TO92, second sample SOT23, #3 - TO92, etc..
Picture is worth a thousand words

And soundcloud link

T.

Cool temol! Thanks for posting that - will listen when I get home (working overnight tonite)...

What did you do for the noise gate wiring? It looks like from your picture you mounted the switch on a small daughter board? Is there a PCB layout for that? Did you ever get a parts layout? I am still working on mine, but that is the part I am stuck on.

temol

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 07:58:50 AM »
What did you do for the noise gate wiring? It looks like from your picture you mounted the switch on a small daughter board? Is there a PCB layout for that? Did you ever get a parts layout? I am still working on mine, but that is the part I am stuck on.

Yep.. there is a daughter board for the noise gate. I have a PCB layout (finally found it).

T.

J0K3RX

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
That layout had some problems with the fx-loop if I remember correctly. I have new layouts for it that are greatly improved.. May post if I ever get any spare time..

I updated the gallery with a newer layout that has the gate partially on-board except for the pot and switch. Don't really need the switch if you turn the gate pot to the off position..
Transfer
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/J0K3RX/SE-1_4.pdf.html
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/J0K3RX/Layout.JPG.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:33:00 PM by J0K3RX »
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
You can try a 2N5457 for the first J201, might have a little less noise but not overly noticeable... Different JFET's for the other two will not make a noticeable difference to the overall gain or tone.  There were some other mods like the post gain mod and some other tweaks I had but will have to look for them when I have more time..

This guy builds them with all of the mods that I had a couple years ago and seems like he does really well with it.. Some people were asking me how a person would fit it all in an enclosure and what size enclosure etc... Well, here's your answer  :icon_wink:

KarenColumbo

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
OMFG distortion heaven <3
"In the beginning there was nothing - which exploded" - Terry Pratchett

temol

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 03:09:14 AM »
J0K3RX - thanks for the layout and for the tips. I'll give it a try. I do not need fx-loop so jumpered it.

In the meantime..  SE boxed and ready.

T.

J0K3RX

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 09:24:53 AM »
J0K3RX - thanks for the layout and for the tips. I'll give it a try. I do not need fx-loop so jumpered it.

In the meantime..  SE boxed and ready.

T.

Looks great man! What layout did you use? Just asking because one of the earlier layouts had a mistake that can be easily fixed by cutting 1 trace.

temol

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
Looks great man! What layout did you use? Just asking because one of the earlier layouts had a mistake that can be easily fixed by cutting 1 trace.

Thanks. It was the one with noise gate daughter board, separate board for power and fx-loop. You can check it here

T.