ENGL PREAMP - NOISE GATE - FX LOOP ~ SCREAMIN EAGLE

Started by J0K3RX, October 13, 2013, 08:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

temol

So... I've made short comparison of two sets of J201s. First set - TO92 package, bought from aliexpress. Vgs ~ -1.9V. Second set - SOT23 MMBFJ201, bought them from TME, Vgs ~ -0,7-0,8V.
There are 6 samples. All settings the same, except gain knob. First sample - TO92, second sample SOT23, #3 - TO92, etc..
Picture is worth a thousand words

And soundcloud link

T.

statzern

Quote from: temol on September 12, 2017, 03:58:12 AM
So... I've made short comparison of two sets of J201s. First set - TO92 package, bought from aliexpress. Vgs ~ -1.9V. Second set - SOT23 MMBFJ201, bought them from TME, Vgs ~ -0,7-0,8V.
There are 6 samples. All settings the same, except gain knob. First sample - TO92, second sample SOT23, #3 - TO92, etc..
Picture is worth a thousand words

And soundcloud link

T.

Cool temol! Thanks for posting that - will listen when I get home (working overnight tonite)...

What did you do for the noise gate wiring? It looks like from your picture you mounted the switch on a small daughter board? Is there a PCB layout for that? Did you ever get a parts layout? I am still working on mine, but that is the part I am stuck on.

temol

What did you do for the noise gate wiring? It looks like from your picture you mounted the switch on a small daughter board? Is there a PCB layout for that? Did you ever get a parts layout? I am still working on mine, but that is the part I am stuck on.

Yep.. there is a daughter board for the noise gate. I have a PCB layout (finally found it).

T.

J0K3RX

That layout had some problems with the fx-loop if I remember correctly. I have new layouts for it that are greatly improved.. May post if I ever get any spare time..

I updated the gallery with a newer layout that has the gate partially on-board except for the pot and switch. Don't really need the switch if you turn the gate pot to the off position..
Transfer
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/J0K3RX/SE-1_4.pdf.html
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/J0K3RX/Layout.JPG.html
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

You can try a 2N5457 for the first J201, might have a little less noise but not overly noticeable... Different JFET's for the other two will not make a noticeable difference to the overall gain or tone.  There were some other mods like the post gain mod and some other tweaks I had but will have to look for them when I have more time..

This guy builds them with all of the mods that I had a couple years ago and seems like he does really well with it.. Some people were asking me how a person would fit it all in an enclosure and what size enclosure etc... Well, here's your answer  :icon_wink:

KarenColumbo

• SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

temol

J0K3RX - thanks for the layout and for the tips. I'll give it a try. I do not need fx-loop so jumpered it.

In the meantime..  SE boxed and ready.

T.

J0K3RX

Quote from: temol on September 13, 2017, 03:09:14 AM
J0K3RX - thanks for the layout and for the tips. I'll give it a try. I do not need fx-loop so jumpered it.

In the meantime..  SE boxed and ready.

T.

Looks great man! What layout did you use? Just asking because one of the earlier layouts had a mistake that can be easily fixed by cutting 1 trace.

temol

Looks great man! What layout did you use? Just asking because one of the earlier layouts had a mistake that can be easily fixed by cutting 1 trace.

Thanks. It was the one with noise gate daughter board, separate board for power and fx-loop. You can check it here

T.

Alsassius

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 12, 2017, 03:03:31 PM
That layout had some problems with the fx-loop if I remember correctly. I have new layouts for it that are greatly improved.. May post if I ever get any spare time..

I updated the gallery with a newer layout that has the gate partially on-board except for the pot and switch. Don't really need the switch if you turn the gate pot to the off position..
Transfer

Hello J0K3RX !!! I made this pcb, I need to do the wiring and I do not know how the noise gate is connected without the external board, in G1 and G2 is the potentiometer directly connected?

J0K3RX

Quote from: Alsassius on October 24, 2018, 06:58:52 AM
Quote from: J0K3RX on September 12, 2017, 03:03:31 PM

Transfer

Hello J0K3RX !!! I made this pcb, I need to do the wiring and I do not know how the noise gate is connected without the external board, in G1 and G2 is the potentiometer directly connected?

Alsassius - Yup, just connect G1 to lug1 and G2 to lug2 if I remember correctly..  :icon_rolleyes:

Please forgive me if I missed the memo but, does anybody know what happened to the Aron Nelson gallery?  :(

Found this demo a while back with Screamin Eagle running through the DSM Noisemaker OmniCab and I likes what I hear!!  :icon_twisted:
I have made a few improvements on it since it was first posted.. may post them if I get any time. :icon_evil:

Alsassius

the galleries of Aron Nelson were fine a few days ago. Yesterday finished the screamin eagle, but with the low gain it sounds like fuzz and if I increase the gain you hear a very intense beep when I do not play the guitar, I think it's the transistors of poor quality. Here in Argentina there are many imitations. This afternoon I'll check it with more time. Ah, the sound with the maximum gain is brutal! never my fly3 sounded so good haha

temol

Quote from: J0K3RX on October 24, 2018, 12:37:43 PM
I have made a few improvements on it since it was first posted.. may post them if I get any time. :icon_evil:

I'm waiting patiently... :)

T.

syamilaliff

Sorry for reviving a dead thread.

I cannot find the pcb transfer file for this build.

Appreciate it if anyone can share it with me.

syamilaliff@gmail.com

Thank you

temol