Need a bit of help

Started by Mujician, October 30, 2013, 07:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mujician

Hi,
  I bought a bit crusher kit. I'm not feeling a little overwhelmed as I really don't know what I'm doing! Very naively I thought I would get step by step instructions. However, it appears I need to have a sound knowledge of various components.
So I have the circuit board complete now, and I'm trying to solder the sockets in to test it before I wire the switch in (advised to do this via the instruction doc). I don't know which terminal to wire on the jack sockets, and I don't know how to connect the 9V.
Here is a link to the instructions for the kit I have:
http://pedalparts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Crusher.pdf
Here is the finished circuit:

Here is the out jack:

Here is the in jack:

Thanks in advance

LucifersTrip

here's one diagram for wiring

but make sure you know which lugs on your input jack (the one with 3 lugs) are ring and tip. you can see the center is ground.
always think outside the box

Mujician

Thanks - but how do I know which is which?

GibsonGM

Plug in a 1/4" patch cord.  The tab that connects to the tip of the plug is the "tip" of the jack.   The one that connects to the barrel of the plug is the "ring".   On a stereo jack, the sleeve is connected to the ring when something is plugged in, so it is a switch that can be used to switch the ground connection, giving the circuit power.   

You can find out which is which in a couple of ways....look on the package, if the jack came with one.
If not, use your meter or inspect tabs closely to see which solder tab goes to which connection!  With a plug in the jack, you can easily see what's going on....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_%28audio%29 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Liquitone

do you mean which solder-lug is the positive and negative? looking at the pictures it looks like you got it right at first guess. the lug connected to the center bushing is the negative, or 'tip' ,on the stereo jack you can see to which lug the tip connects if you plug in a jack-plug. the highest one is the tip and the lower one is the ring.

Mujician

So are you saying I should bypass the testing phase and go straight into fixing it all together then?

samhay

I am not sure I understand the question.
Are you trying to understand how to do testing suggested in the build document - i.e. how to bypass the 3PDT footswitch? If so, you need to connect the input jack directly to the input connection on the PCB, likewise for the output, and connect the 9V supply as shown in the drawing.

You are not going to have much joy testing it until you add the pot, and you should trim the leads on the solder side of the board before you power it up, as these are a short waiting to happen.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Mujician

Well, I've gone straight for putting the switch in and all the other components.
I understand about removing the leads, however if a component is wrong, or I have to swap it, will it not be easier to leave a certain length on it?

Mujician

Also - should the inside of the box be lined with felt or something to stop the circuit shorting?
Thanks for being patient!, this is my first foray into electronics. Slowly getting there but I wish I gave myself an easier project to get started with!!!!

tubegeek

Quote from: Liquitone on October 30, 2013, 08:23:09 AMthe lug connected to the center bushing is the negative, or 'tip'
TYPO ALERT: you meant to write "or 'sleeve'" here, I'm quite sure.
on the stereo jack you can see to which lug the tip connects if you plug in a jack-plug. the highest one is the tip and the lower one is the ring.
Back in business with this correct info.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

duck_arse

the pcb mount pot is used to "hang" the board from the top-panel of the pedal case. shove the pot thu the hole in the case, do-up the nut, and the board is mounted. otherwise, felt is a bad idea, use thick cardboard or thin plastic sheet to insulate, or better still, mount your board (not this one, obviously, it has the pot for mounting) with screws through to standoffs fixed to the case.
don't make me draw another line.

Liquitone

Quote from: tubegeek on October 30, 2013, 09:49:38 AM
Quote from: Liquitone on October 30, 2013, 08:23:09 AMthe lug connected to the center bushing is the negative, or 'tip'
TYPO ALERT: you meant to write "or 'sleeve'" here, I'm quite sure.
on the stereo jack you can see to which lug the tip connects if you plug in a jack-plug. the highest one is the tip and the lower one is the ring.
Back in business with this correct info.

my apologies, I had been editing while writing (rephrased that last sentence) and forgot to remove that last bit where I said; or 'tip'

peterg

http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/wp-content/uploads/DIY-Club-Project-1-Part-14-v03.pdf

I referenced the tonefiend project instructions (link attached) for my first attempt at building a pedal and continue to reference it. It's written for beginner's.