2n7000 tranny sub

Started by disabled_shredder, November 01, 2013, 10:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disabled_shredder

I am building a pedal that requires a 2n7000 I believe that's a MOSFET. Is there a sub I can use maybe a jfet or something or do I need to get the 2n7000?
The wild man with a loaded gun and no plan. I'm not held back by rules, just don't know which ones to follow

R.G.

JFETs nor bipolars will successfully sub for MOSFETs.

Get the MOSFET. You can use a BS170 MOSFET, too; it's real close. But the 2N7000 is more common.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Keppy

If you use the BS170, note that the pinout is opposite of the 2N7000.

Also, if the 7000 is being used as a clipper instead of an amplifier, you could actually sub many things for it (diodes, JFETs, bipolars) depending on the configuration. They would change the sound noticeably, but would work. If you're not sure about this, do like R.G. says and get the 7000.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

disabled_shredder

I saw on I think small bear the 2n7000 was an n channel jfet? Is that not right I'm building the madbean ego driver which is a fulltone OCD. Can I just use an n channel jfet like a 5457-8 or J201? And where could I source locally does the radio shack carry mosfets? That's a question I know better asking. I've just never messed with MOSFETs
The wild man with a loaded gun and no plan. I'm not held back by rules, just don't know which ones to follow

R.G.

The 2N7000 is a MOSFET, not a JFET.

If the design calls for a 2N7000, an N-channel JFET will not work properly.

NTE says that the NTE491 is a replacement for the 2N7000.

Radio Shack says they stock the NTE491, at least on line. Perhaps a phone call would tell you if it's in a store.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

duck_arse

Supertex sent me, as samples, 5 each of 2n7000, 2n7002 and 2n7008, free, delivered to my door. very nice. check their website ....
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Keppy

The OCD uses MOSFETs as clippers rather than amplifiers, so you can actually substitute many things, but they will change the sound noticeably. Check out this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=38581.0

Still, the OCD is known for its particular sound, which you'll only get from the MOSFETs.

J0K3RX

I know they are kinda big but anybody ever try the IRF510? I have used those and Radio Shack used to carry them in the store...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

disabled_shredder

Thanks for all the help and advice I didn't check out the shack yet but a friend has some 7000's ill be getting them tomorrow. Also I know this is a rookie thing and I've been building a while but i swear i thought mosfets would look different than transistors. Silly me and my imagination!

J0K3RX

Quote from: disabled_shredder on November 02, 2013, 09:27:40 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice I didn't check out the shack yet but a friend has some 7000's ill be getting them tomorrow. Also I know this is a rookie thing and I've been building a while but i swear i thought mosfets would look different than transistors. Silly me and my imagination!

No worries. You know what "they" say - The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask... I guess that could apply to rookie questions too. I learn something new every day, seems like.

Keppy

Quote from: J0K3RX on November 02, 2013, 08:42:36 PM
I know they are kinda big but anybody ever try the IRF510? I have used those and Radio Shack used to carry them in the store...

I breadboarded a 5-knob Rat that used those. They worked fine. They weren't magical or anything, so I tend to use the 7000s instead.

J0K3RX

Quote from: Keppy on November 02, 2013, 11:20:24 PM
Quote from: J0K3RX on November 02, 2013, 08:42:36 PM

I breadboarded a 5-knob Rat that used those. They worked fine. They weren't magical or anything, so I tend to use the 7000s instead.

Yeah, I agree.. I like the 7000's as well. I would like to try those NTE491's that R.G. mentioned.

PRR

> i swear i thought mosfets would look different than transistors.

They do; if you cut them open, slice real thin, and use a microscope. (Even then, I'm not sure what clue to look for.)

But the plastic blob with legs, the package, is often the same for "any" device with the same number of legs and similar power ability. Like a pill-bottle.... could be percodan inside, or water-pills, gotta read the label.
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

I'd go with the bs170 Jake
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

SmoothAction

The NTE491 is a legit sub, it sounds great as a clipper in my zenish build. In my area the electronics shops only stock NTE equivalents and mark them up like crazy, I use them more than I'd like to for a quick part here or there, shit's pricey in town.
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

Kipper4

Mosfet clippers sound great with a tube amp. OCD is ok I prefer zen drive. Low parts too. Check it out Dizzy
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/