Frostwave resonator repairmen?

Started by JehuJava, November 06, 2013, 09:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JehuJava

I've recently acquired a resonator and I seems like it may have a few issues.

The LED doesn't turn off when the pedal is disengaged (annoying, but survivable).

The LPF resonance knob doesn't seem to be adding a whole lot to processing until it reaches self oscillation. I mean I almost thought it wasn't working until I swept the cutoff with no res added. Very slight difference to my ears. The HPF res knob adds a ton of resonance with only a small turn...very obvious.

I'm not a DIY pedal guy one but, though I read a ton of the articles/posts hoping to one day have enough free time to make pedals for fun.  But I did some prodding around with my DMM (very minimal) and it seems like the DPDT switch shows continuity in both the on AND off  positions regardless of which position the switch  is in. This is on the left side. The right side of the DPDT is unused though the continuity test shows the up side is on and the down side is off in one switch position and vice versa when the switch is changed...operates as expected.

So...you guys have any thoughts to steer me in the right direction?  Or do you know any good repairmen I could send this to?

JehuJava

knutolai

Changing the LED (and its cables) and the stompswitch (and its cables) should be fairly simple. Would probably cost more time and money to send it to a repairer than buying the parts needed, that is if you own a soldering iron and the other stuff you need. As for the potentiometers reacting strangely I have no real clue apart from this>

QuoteThe HPF res knob adds a ton of resonance with only a small turn...very obvious.

Could it be that the previous owner did some bad repairs to this module (maybe it was broken?). Like for instance swapping the HPF res knob from a linear to ligarithmic type (or vice versa). It would be helpful if you added a schematic for your pedal.  :icon_wink:

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

JehuJava

Quote from: knutolai on November 07, 2013, 08:10:20 AM
Changing the LED (and its cables) and the stompswitch (and its cables) should be fairly simple. Would probably cost more time and money to send it to a repairer than buying the parts needed, that is if you own a soldering iron and the other stuff you need. As for the potentiometers reacting strangely I have no real clue apart from this>

QuoteThe HPF res knob adds a ton of resonance with only a small turn...very obvious.

Could it be that the previous owner did some bad repairs to this module (maybe it was broken?). Like for instance swapping the HPF res knob from a linear to ligarithmic type (or vice versa). It would be helpful if you added a schematic for your pedal.  :icon_wink:

Yeah. I contemplated swapping switches. I don't think the LED is the issue since it lights, but I could be wrong. I'm more concerned about the LPF resonance knob not juicing it. Wish I had a schematic to verify pots, etc.

duck_arse

I recently came across a new, just-soldered-in footswitch just like the one in yr photo, short down one side, but works fine the other. it would be an easy repair to swap the wires from the bad side of the switch across to the good side. that would be one problem fixed.
don't make me draw another line.

Govmnt_Lacky

I recommend starting with duck's suggestion. From your explanation, it sounds like one side of your stomp switch is shorted. Just move the wires to the other side (move them one-for-one to the other side of the switch, directly across) and then fire it up and check EVERYTHING.

It could possibly... and I mean VERY possibly... be contributing to your LPF issue as well since the switch is shorted. If not, at least you fixed that problem and can move on.

You always want to fix debugging issues one at a time. Fix... then test EVERYTHING.... Fix another... Then test EVERYTHING again... rinse/repeat until you have a fully working pedal.

Good Luck!  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

JehuJava

Very good suggestions.   I think I'm gonna try that. It's an easy job. I'll post results. Thanks guys. I've also got digi2t ready to help.

JehuJava

Swapped sides of the switch last night. No change, though I thought I got more res when sweeping the filter. Oh well. It's off to be repaired tomorrow anyway. Thanks guys!

Govmnt_Lacky

Hmmmm....

Interesting that your first post suggests that the other side of the switch was functioning properly and now, after you moved the wiring.... it does not work  ???

Oh well..... at least you tried  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

JehuJava

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 11, 2013, 08:31:30 AM
Hmmmm....

Interesting that your first post suggests that the other side of the switch was functioning properly and now, after you moved the wiring.... it does not work  ???

Oh well..... at least you tried  ;D

Yeah I was a bit surprised too. Maybe it's that I don't know what I'm doing with a DMM.  Or it's that something else is at fault. Either way it's off to digi2t for inspection.