Spring Reverb Tank

Started by AM, November 09, 2013, 10:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AM

Not a stompbox question but a reverb tank one. I'm doing some modifications to my tube amp.
Rehousing is one of them. The amp has an accutronics spring reverb which I never use and I would NOT like to have in the new cabinet.
The amp is all tube but the reverb is IC driven.
The question: Can I just disconnect the reverb tank and just run the amp without it? Are there any chances to damage the amp by doing so?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

PRR

> Can I just disconnect the reverb tank

Yes. No harm, except if you mistakenly turn-up the reverb knob you'll get a huge buzz.
  • SUPPORTER

AM

Thanks for the reply. I can tape the reverb knob so nobody fools with it.

Goodrat

Although, it may hum a lot less if there is no reverb pan to make a hum if you turn up the knob.
Don't lose it though. Someday you will be looking for it. I assume they are hard to get now.

AM

No. I'm not going to lose it. I will keep it safe in storage. I just want to free that space in the cabinet partially because the tank gets in the way of the speaker jack and every time I want to plug the amp to an external cabinet I need to unscrew the back. The reverb tank itself is a really good one. I think the IC driven part of the circuit makes it weak sounding and noisy. If you add to it that I'm not a reverb fan so much anyway,...you get the picture.
The tank is secured at the back of the amp. So I'm just going to replace the back with another piece of plywood and keep the original back with the tank on it at a safe place. This simple mod will make plugging to external cabinets and changing tubes a breeze.

Goodrat

Do they still have a label on them that reads:
"Manufactured by beautiful women in a controlled environment" ?
I remember seeing that when I worked at Earth Sound Research back in 1979 as a repair tech.