Whats the best wire

Started by marley459, November 11, 2013, 11:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

I've used 22 awg stranded for far to long to remember.
I probably have a few thousand feet of it in several different colors.
I'll use insulated 30 awg solid for the few jumpers I do though.

MaxPower

I just found a huge roll of telephone wire (I think it's telephone wire anyway -bunch of thin insulated wires). That thing will last me a lifetime if it works. I guess I'll test the wires and see how much they can handle. Surely they can handle +/- 9V and however much current you can pull out of a couple of 9V batteries?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

FiveseveN

This is three PC PSUs' supply of wire, plus misc. recycling. Most of the thinner wire is not apparent in the image due to a version of the Brazil nut effect. That bag is about 4 lbs of copper and PVC, and I have another which is probably twice as heavy, of 10 A+ wire (from washing machines and such).
This is from a country where plastic and paper recycling laws are less than 5 years old and electronics recycling is hopeless. Dumpster diving is fruitless. Yet without much effort, a person such as myself has accumulated many of the essential components, wiring being a most important one.
PS: CPU PSUs are also a good source of HV filter and X-rated caps.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

Thecomedian

Quote from: MaxPower on November 13, 2013, 01:07:09 AM
I just found a huge roll of telephone wire (I think it's telephone wire anyway -bunch of thin insulated wires). That thing will last me a lifetime if it works. I guess I'll test the wires and see how much they can handle. Surely they can handle +/- 9V and however much current you can pull out of a couple of 9V batteries?

I tried to cannibalize this power supply from my "barebones" computer which went out. Every time I'd build a board with the wires from it, the wires would just break off, even though stranded. It was just terrible wire, but thats what comes for cheap at 40-50$ with an ATX case.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Wounded Paw

Is #28 pushing it for internal wiring between pots and the pcb for an eq section?  I've got some ribbon cable I want to use and it will only run a few inches.

disabled_shredder

I use 26-28ga wire for everything. It will work fine. Personally I think anything bigger than 26 gauge for pedals is too cumbersome. But then again I'm a stickler about my guts! I go the extra mile and use prestressed or military grade Teflon coated silver stranded wire. But yes 28 gauge will be fine for what you are doing.
The wild man with a loaded gun and no plan. I'm not held back by rules, just don't know which ones to follow