MrBinns

>note that it is completely free/open source

:D

>LiveSPICE is a Windows application.

:-\

Hopefully it works in wine *crosses fingers

tca

Looks good!

Question: why build a "free"-software  based on a proprietary Microsoft .NET technology? You should, if you like, release the code as free speech (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html).

I can not run it, though, only run GNU/Linux x64 and free-software on my machine.

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

acobberson

And, unfortunately each time I try to run a simulation the software crashes instantly. I am running ASIO with a Fast Track Pro, chose input 1, output 1 and or 2. I just tried to simulate a couple of the examples and as soon as I choose either "test" or "ok" in the audio configuration window it crashes. Windows doesn't give me a reason for the crash, just that it stopped working. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Obviously it is working for plenty of other people.

loulou257

Hi

Same issue for me.

There is an error message in the log file under appdata/roaming/livespice
saying the dll nativeutils can't be loaded (manifest missing)

In the windows event log the error is about the function : Audio.Util.LEi32ToLEf64(IntPtr, IntPtr, Int32)
which belongs to that DLL

Regards

Sorry for my english (I'm french)

turdadactyl

I'm reviving a realllly old thread here, as I just installed LiveSPICE today.  Cool little program.  But am I missing something?  I can't for the life of me figure out how to show a cap as polarized.

PRR

> how to show a cap as polarized.

Not SPICE's job.

SPICE assumes all caps are perfect. If you want to save a buck by using a cap that blows-up with backward DC voltage, it is YOUR problem to figure out if the voltage polarity is consistently one way, and which way that is. (SPICE can plot voltage on both sides for you. Maybe even do a V_diff to get the voltage -across- the cap.)

What I do for forum-posts, to save time for busy builders, is copy to a graphics program for annotations including "+" signs.

A *full* circuit-to-PCB package will include much-much more practical details like lead-spacing and + marks. But I think that is beyond the scope of this thread's app.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Paul beat me to it. SPICE is for simulation, not for PCB layouts or things like that. If you can assign a non polarized cap to 100uF, there isn't really a point to polarized caps.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

DavidM

Hi,

Just downloaded and installed on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine. When trying to test Audio (M-Audio or ASIO4ALL), the program just crashes. Haven't been able to find a cure for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

David

clintrubber

Thanks Dillon for sharing this!  Will be drawing & trying some stuff.

For a quick test, I understood the .schx-files can be loaded
( https://github.com/dsharlet/LiveSPICE/tree/master/Tests/Circuits ),
but they don't here unfortunately. 

Are these properly loading for others ?

Net Framework v4.7 installed here

Regards

vigilante397

Quote from: clintrubber on November 22, 2017, 04:50:33 PM

Nope. The program, while super cool (as a non-developer I will never criticize ANYTHING given to me for free) is limited in its functionality in this stage. I'm not sure how much development is still going into it, but updated releases come out from time to time.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

clintrubber

Quote from: vigilante397 on November 24, 2017, 12:37:31 PM

Nope. The program, while super cool (as a non-developer I will never criticize ANYTHING given to me for free) is limited in its functionality in this stage. I'm not sure how much development is still going into it, but updated releases come out from time to time.

Hi,

Haven't jumped into more detail so far...

OK, so these .schx-files can not be opened by the program, but drawing from scratch works ?
Should that then be one session ? (otherwise saving & reloading would be required, which doesn't function)

I'm with you, no criticism, this is a nice piece of work!
Let's hope updates keep coming from time to time, but we're patient.

Bye

vigilante397

Quote from: clintrubber on November 24, 2017, 12:59:16 PM
OK, so these .schx-files can not be opened by the program, but drawing from scratch works ?
Should that then be one session ? (otherwise saving & reloading would be required, which doesn't function)

That's been my experience, yup. Granted I only played around with it (successfully) a couple times with simple drives and the like, but drawing from scratch worked consistently.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

clintrubber

Quote from: vigilante397 on November 24, 2017, 01:10:32 PM
That's been my experience, yup. Granted I only played around with it (successfully) a couple times with simple drives and the like, but drawing from scratch worked consistently.

Oops, OK, good to know! And as said, still nice to be able to such a tool available.

Have a good weekend

sixthfloor

Just discovered this. It works pretty well, including loading files !

For a quick test, I understood the .schx-files can be loaded
( https://github.com/dsharlet/LiveSPICE/tree/master/Tests/Circuits ),
but they don't here unfortunately. 

The thing is, using "save as" from the list saves an html file even though it says .schx (I've opened the downloaded file to check). What works is first showing the code for one circuit, then right-clicking on "raw" at the top right of the code in the browser and then "save as". The saved file can then be loaded using LiveSPICE.

dsharlet

Hi all, after 6 years, there are finally some new developments in this project :) First of all, thanks for the kind words in this thread that I never responded to, and the bug reports too! I appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative.

There is now a release available on GitHub with many improvements. The long promised VST plugin has finally arrived, thanks to a contribution from Mike Oliphant!

There are a number of other improvements to the whole project as well, including some of the issues in this thread are hopefully addressed:
- Many crashes and instability related to audio IO are fixed. There might be more, but I hope I got most of them.
- There is now a modest library of common components (transistors, diodes, opamps).
- There is a new triode model that sounds *much* nicer than before (also a contribution to the git repo).
- Simulation speed and quality should be improved a bit.

Now that the VST plugin exists, we could also make some examples of what some circuits sound like, which are posted on www.livespice.org.

Hopefully this is still something some of you find interesting. I still plan to make some other improvements mainly around simulation speed and more interactive controls, but I wouldn't blame you for being skeptical of future promised updates :)

Big thanks to Mike and Adrian for their contributions of the VST plugin and improved triode model!

Vivek

Your project is of real interest for those who design audio circuits. I will try to use it when designing pedals. Right now I use LTSPICE and it's non-realtime WAV processing.

Thank you very much sir !

oddist

Hi - I tried installing Livespice (v12, as v13 was blocked on my computer) and it doesn't allow me to place components myself. I can open one of the sample files, but it still doesn't show up on my screen until I go to Simulation. Then it kind of works, but I can't modify anything because it still isn't in the "schematic" view. Any hints would be much appreciated. I'm running Windows 10 on a rather new HP Envy laptop. Thanks!

iainpunk

wait, this is an VST like you can add in FL studio???
that's so awesome!!!!!
is it freeware or does it cost some money?

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers