TRI DIRTY BOOSTER Muff clone Hfe?

Started by Gristlepig, November 16, 2013, 11:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gristlepig

Hey folks,

I'm whipping up a clone of the rare Hohner Tri Dirty Booster on Turretboard.org's vero layout and the schem from Kit Rae's page.

Scored a bag of NOS 2n5176 TO-98 package, but they all test between 100-180hfe. Bmmr.

I can't find anything regarding trannies for this unit, aside from the part number.

Am I correct in assuming this circuit will sound best with 400-600hfe trannies, like the Triangle it's based on?

Thanks
The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
- Anatole France

John Lyons

Try the 180s. 400-600 is going to be too buzzy.
300+/- is what I shoot for. Anything will work really.
See what you think.
A lot of the those old triangle muffs were not with high gain devices.
I'd say 100-300 if even that high.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Gristlepig

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.
- Anatole France

PRR

hFE for the 2N5172 part noted is 100-500.

180 is right down the middle of that range.

In 1973, transistors with gain like 600 were VERY uncommon. Not something a pedal-maker would want to use. Instead you would use an extra low-gain part to get overall jack-to-jack gain. Since this pedal has 4 (Wow! FOUR transistors!!) it should not need a heap of gain at each stage.
  • SUPPORTER

Gristlepig

Finally built it up....

Used a quad of 2N5172 Hfe between 180-250

Doesn't sound nearly as nice as the clips of the Basic Audio unit. Though the lower gain sounds are def nicer than on a standard muff.

Mine sounds very scooped. I used the schem from Kit Rae's site and triple checked my build... hmm.

Any ideas?
- Anatole France