Ultrabright LED, or 3pdt switch?

Started by madstayen, November 18, 2013, 04:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madstayen

Okay, so with all my gain and boost pedals I get this scratchy sound, like a turntable (vinyl) scratch, but irregular. Without a 3pdt switch it's smooth, but as soon as the 3pdt is wired in to switch the ultra-bright LED on or off, I get this noise. Remove the wires from the switch, then everything is good again. This is literalllleellelllellyyy diirriivingggg emmemmeee bonkrrreers!!!! I tried different types of wiring, different types of switches, Carling, Fulltone, blue ones, white ones, doesn't matter. So I definitely ruled out that it's not the switch. Then could it be the LED? Maybe not use ultra-bright? Maybe use relay type switching to switch the LED, thus not having a 9V+ on the switch directly. Don't know, but this is making me mad!!!!
DON'T PANIC!!!! Yes, I know I have TATTOOS! No, I'm NOT a drug dealer (and no I don't really care about how they'll look when I'm older). Just let me do my thing!!!!!!!

peterg

Not sure if there is a difference but are you running the LED power to the switch or the neg to the switch? Usually the neg goes to the switch. Are you using a resistor between the power and the LED?

Seljer

Another thing to try may be instead of switching the +9V of the LED, wire the 9V permanently and switch the ground of the LED

italianguy63

I use ulta-bright blues on Wah's with no issue.  What size voltage reduction resistor are you using?  (I use 390 ohm).  Do you know the draw (ma) of the LED in question? (mine are 18).  Finally, what circuit is this on?  I recently had an LED "buzz" that I took care of with the "LED Pop" solution (do a search)- it amounts to a larger and a smaller voltage reduction resistor in series, with an electrolytic cap going to ground between the resistors.  Cleaned my problem right up!  MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

Another thought-- if you are using the "stereo jack" trick to isolate the battery ground, make sure the jack and plug are clean.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

madstayen

There's no difference if the led -, or led+ goes to the switch first. it happens on all my circuits that has gain or boost, especially with circuits like the boogie etc. i'm not sure about the ma of the led, i will check this tonight when i get home. the resistor i use before the led is a 1k0, but i'm thinking of putting a 2k0 in, just to drop the volts a little bit more. i do use the input jack trick, it is new jacks, so it's clean.
DON'T PANIC!!!! Yes, I know I have TATTOOS! No, I'm NOT a drug dealer (and no I don't really care about how they'll look when I'm older). Just let me do my thing!!!!!!!

madstayen

The weird thing is that if i wire the circuit without the 3pdt, ie everything is "on", including the led, then there's no problems, but as soon as it goes through the switch, all this nonsense happens. that's why i tried so many different types of switches, just to make sure.

Jdansti

Does it happen with the switch when no LED is attached to it?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Seljer

How about different power supplies or battery power?

italianguy63

madstayen

you mean running v+ through the switch without adding a led? havn't tried that yet. will do tonight and let you know. i was also wondering if it's possible to run the led off the output of the board, shunt it to ground, or will that have an effect on the sound perhaps?

madstayen

The psu is good, i tried my boss psa 240 aswell, same effect. i currently use the spyder, which is superclean, eh, well for sound purposes at least.

Seljer

Hmm, I've typically gotten scratchy turntable like noise when I didn't clean away the flux residue after soldering. Maybe clean between the switch's terminal with a toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol?

chi_boy

Quote from: madstayen on November 19, 2013, 12:30:43 AM
There's no difference if the led -, or led+ goes to the switch first. it happens on all my circuits that has gain or boost, especially with circuits like the boogie etc. i'm not sure about the ma of the led, i will check this tonight when i get home. the resistor i use before the led is a 1k0, but i'm thinking of putting a 2k0 in, just to drop the volts a little bit more. i do use the input jack trick, it is new jacks, so it's clean.

Just to chime in, I use 12k with superbrights.  But that's just me.....
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

madstayen

i tried the popping solution, http://www.muzique.com/lab/led.htm ,still does the same, and it makes the total resistance before the led 5k09, with no lesser effect. what i did pick up though (Wonder why i didn't pick this up sooner) is that when v+ goes to the switch, it has that scratchy sound when the effect is on, but when v- goes to the switch, it has that scratchy sound when the effect is bypassed. i'm no expert at this, but that sounds like a ground problem, but i will check it tonight.

italianguy63

It almost has to be.  (ground problem).  MC

madstayen

@ Seljer
QuoteHmm, I've typically gotten scratchy turntable like noise when I didn't clean away the flux residue after soldering. Maybe clean between the switch's terminal with a toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol?
Turns out you were right, thus far! I tested the switch (on the bottom where the lugs are) with my dimm, the whole bloody surface is conductive!  :icon_lol: Scrubbed it with rubbing alcohol, everything sorted. But this I only discovered AFTER I pulled everything apart. So now I first have to re-solder everything before I can definitely say it is good. For now I will assume that it is! :icon_cool:
EDIT: Cleaned all my boosters and gain pedal switches and circuit boards. Working good! Thanx mate!  :icon_biggrin: