Noisy Deep Blue Delay Pedal

Started by NBguitarist, November 24, 2013, 04:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NBguitarist

Hey guys so I have built a Deep Blue Delay Pedal according to the following layout.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/cohzyyy/3179497.html

The pedal works beautifully except there are some noise.
There are two type of noise, one is the white noise 'Zzz...' sound when the guitar is not be playing
while another noise is the hiss sound come with the tail of each echo.

Can some one please tell me if the Deep Blue Delay perform like this?

Many thanks.

Jopn

Quote from: NBguitarist on November 24, 2013, 04:22:26 AM
Hey guys so I have built a Deep Blue Delay Pedal according to the following layout.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/cohzyyy/3179497.html

The pedal works beautifully except there are some noise.
There are two type of noise, one is the white noise 'Zzz...' sound when the guitar is not be playing
while another noise is the hiss sound come with the tail of each echo.

Can some one please tell me if the Deep Blue Delay perform like this?

Many thanks.

No, the Deep Blue Delay shouldn't perform like that.  Something is wrong with your build.  For troubleshooting help, please check the sticky on what type of steps/info you should be doing.

nocentelli

I'm not so sure. The repeats do start to get some digital noise on the decay as the delay time is increased. This can be tamed by upping the value of the LPF caps on the repeats path to remove even more high end from the delays and slightly mask the noise. The "white noise" when no signal is present may be improved by increasing the power supply filtering. I also noticed my stock DBD was easily over driven by hot humbuckers played hard: I reduced the input gain, and altered the output opamp gain to compensate.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

NBguitarist

Quote from: nocentelli on November 24, 2013, 08:18:44 AM
I'm not so sure. The repeats do start to get some digital noise on the decay as the delay time is increased. This can be tamed by upping the value of the LPF caps on the repeats path to remove even more high end from the delays and slightly mask the noise. The "white noise" when no signal is present may be improved by increasing the power supply filtering. I also noticed my stock DBD was easily over driven by hot humbuckers played hard: I reduced the input gain, and altered the output opamp gain to compensate.

I do aggree that the noise on the tail of each echo is generated by the chip snice I heard someone also have this problem.
I originally want to ask how to make the echo brighter since I don't like dark analog echo but seem this will increase the noise.
By the way how to I improve the power filtering (I later find that battery will generate less white noise)?

nocentelli

My schematic has a 33r from the +9v supply to a 100uF filtering cap to ground. The +5v from the regulator and the +4.5v from the 10k/10k voltage divider also both have 47uF caps. This is already a fair amount of filtering.

Do you have that in place? I'm less convinced that it is a power supply problem looking at that layout, although if it's not a problem/not so much of a problem with a battery, that does seem to point in that direction. You could try increasing all the values in the power filtering (i.e. 100r instead of 33r, 220uF instead of 100uF, 100uF in place of 47uF caps) which might help if your power supply has not filtering itself.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Renegadrian

Built my third DBD and while the first two acted perfectly, this last one has a constant hiss that makes it unusable...any hint before I dismantle it and put a rebote 2 at its place!^?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

GiovannyS10

You already make the measures on 2399? Are you sure your battery is charged? I had a similar problem with my Rebote 2.5, the problem was two:
1. The capacitor on pin 9
2. Low battery.

Change your battery, re solder the C9 capacitor. (Yes, i dont know why, but all my builds with 2399 had a problem with this capacitor.) If it not works, show your voltage measures on 2399. :) We will help you.

Good day!
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

Renegadrian

Got the same noise both from a decent wall wart and a battery (that reads 8V)

I read the voltages in another post, they were similar. FWIW here are mine right now

V from WW 8.9V

1  4.45V
2  4.47V
3  4.45V
4  0
5  4.45V
6  4.47V
7  4.47V
8  8.9V

1  4.97V
2  2.63V
3  0.30V
4  0V
5  2.85V
6  2.64V
7  1.20V
8  1.27V
9  <-> 16 2.64V

thank you for your reply!

GiovannyS10

Okay... I will check my values here and talk you latter :) Don't worry! It's gonna be okay!  :icon_mrgreen:
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

duck_arse

adriano - is your pin 3 on the pt2399 really not 0.00V, or at least 0V like pin 4?
don't make me draw another line.

Renegadrian

yep that was very strange, it should be ground, so after your post I checked it again and realized I didn't connect the two traces (3 and 4) together. now they are connected and needless to say it works perfectly.
thx for taking the time to help me!!!  :icon_wink:

Elijah-Baley

Things like those sometime happen. ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

duck_arse

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on February 03, 2016, 06:27:48 AM
Things like those sometime happen. ;)

and sometimes, you just get lucky. if only all the fixxes were as quick/easy/painless.
don't make me draw another line.

GiovannyS10

Hey dude, sorry for the delay, i was too much busy with personal problems here. But check your pins 7 and 8 we have a discrepancy of more or less 1 volt. You have more than me. Maybe it can be making your noise. Check your pin 3 too. Its need total 0 volts. Its can make something go wrong with your build too.

Try it, and let me know if works!  8)
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.