Debugging the little Angel

Started by rocinante, November 27, 2013, 10:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocinante

Hi All,

I was hoping someone might be able to help throw some wisdom on my little angel debugging process.  I am getting signal but there doesn't seem to be any discernible chorus effect. Maybe some slight EQ or very very very slight modulation.  I have checked with 3 different pt2399 so it shouldnt be that.

I'm using IvIark's antilock and noise reduction layout posted here:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vh39ImHNIJ0/UVSr6KhaPEI/AAAAAAAAFWA/5Zsre3f8XoU/s1600/Little+Angel+Chorus+V2.png

No subs except for a 490k instead of the 470k resister at the input stage.

I thought that the 3v at pin 7 of the ne5532 was strange so i started looking around there and found that there was a resistance of only 30k between pin 5 and +9.  There is a 100k resister there so i thought that was a bit strange.  And ive traced that back and found that there is a 30k resistance between pin 5 and pin 3.  This is my first chorus and i'm still learning but i cant really see why that would be the case.  Going to keep looking now, but if anyone could shed some light on the way this works i would be super appreciative.

Voltages are below:

Pt2399
1 - 5.03V
2 - 2.52V
3 - 25.2mV
4 -22mV
5 -5.04V
6 -200mV
7 -33mV
8 -22mV
9 -2.53V
10 -2.53V
11-2.53V
12 -2.53V
13 -2.53V
14 -2.53V
15 -2.53V
16 - 2.53V

NE5532

1 - 4.72V
2 - 4.51V
3 - 4.51V
4 -35mV
5 -2.88V
6 -3V
7 -3V
8 -8.95V

n3904

c- 200mv
b- 0.75v
e- 90mv

78l05
IN - 8.95V
G - 0
Out - 5v

THANKSS!!
Steve

Govmnt_Lacky

If you are looking for deep chorus from this circuit then you might want to look elsewhere.

Personally, I think this circuit is way too subtle to be called a chorus. Never really cared for it.

Aside from my mini rant...... Your voltages on pins 5, 6, and 7 look kinda low. Might want to look there.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

rocinante

Thanks GL,

I saw you were having problems with your Little Angel (im about 30 pages through that giant thread...). Did you ever get a noticable chorus effect, albeit a shallow one??
But based on the demo videos i should be getting something rather than nothing. i know something screwy is going on, but i've checked the layout 3 or 4 times, checked for shorts, checked values and voltages and now am getting stuck...

Might sleep on it again and have another crack soon.

Cheers

blackieNYC

Kid has lice? The metal comb with the round head and the bumpy tines.  Rid-x doesn't do very much.  Hire a delouser. Takes three hours at $100 per hr.   worth every penny. Put her coat and hat in the dryer every day. Backpack too.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: blackieNYC on November 28, 2013, 09:07:26 AM
Kid has lice? The metal comb with the round head and the bumpy tines.  Rid-x doesn't do very much.  Hire a delouser. Takes three hours at $100 per hr.   worth every penny. Put her coat and hat in the dryer every day. Backpack too.

My head just exploded.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 27, 2013, 10:38:59 PM
If you are looking for deep chorus from this circuit then you might want to look elsewhere.

Personally, I think this circuit is way too subtle to be called a chorus. Never really cared for it.

Aside from my mini rant...... Your voltages on pins 5, 6, and 7 look kinda low. Might want to look there.

sounds like the classic pt lockup. when this thing works, it shouldn't be all that subtle.
odds are the 2399 is locking up on you greg. when mine work(ed, before trying bob keely's fix that don't work)ed, it was a very nice chorus with a decent amount of depth.

it's these goddamn chips, every one is a pos. they simply aren't designed to be able to produce that short of a delay, and even with the delayed power up option, they still only work when they want.

when the pt is locked up, you'll still get signal... it may sound brighter.. may seem to be just a hint of doubling. just enough to make ya wonder if it works or not. it's ridiculous.

i haven't tried it yet, but i bet the best way is to add a delay time pot, and keep the delay time cranked until after power up, and once it's running as an echo, turn the time down.

otherwise, you can never count on the damn circuit working. i've gone thru it again and again, with multiple 2399's from multiple vendors, and NONE of them work dependably in this circuit.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

blackieNYC

See, my kid had lice recently, and when I read....
Oh, never mind.  Well I think I'm funny. 
Speaking of 2399 modulation - anyone done the jenny greenteeth? Merlin's I believe.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

pinkjimiphoton

oh, i remember the fine tooth comb thing. one of my girls... with hair way past her ass.... got them at school several years ago, i remember trying to get thru it with one of them. and her screaming her head off. i think i'd rather get tased.

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

rocinante

haha... whaaahhh.

Thanks Jimmy!  I'll have a play with the delay pot to make sure it is the pt locking up.  I've used those Ics in delay circuits i breadboarded and they were awefully noisy, but i assumed at low delay times it would be fine.  Might just be bad Ics....

Ill give that a go and let you know.

cheers all.

pinkjimiphoton

2399's get wicked noisy when they're bad. you could probably make a fuzz out of them.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

rocinante

Im sure someone here will do just that.   Mine just turned a nice delay into a motorboat... fun times.

I've just tried the delay pot.... no dice.  I think i'm gonna rest on this for a few days and maybe rebuild it from a different version or layout.

Thanks all!

pinkjimiphoton

it's probably the dang chip. pt2399's are just in general garbage imho.

at least the (counterfeit?) ones flooding the market
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

rocinante

And as soon as I can afford an eventide delay I'll be done with them! ;)