MXR Flanger wiring question....AGAIN!!

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, November 28, 2013, 07:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I had posted this long ago but, never really received a solid answer on this. The schematic is everywhere on the net but.......

Can anyone CONFIRM what the wiring is for the pots in the MXR M117 flanger?

If you look at the schematics, you can see the wire colors but, there is no reference to which lugs they go to  :-\

Would link to schematic but, sadly I am here at work now (Yay for me!  :icon_evil:) and I cannot link on my computer.

Manual = Red, Green, and Black
Width = Brown, White, and Green
Speed = ??
Regen = Black, Grey, and Purple

Need to know which color wires go to which pot lugs.

Thanks! and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

armdnrdy

I took a look at the factory schematic for the wire colors and compared it to my redraw for the pot rotation.

Manual = Red (3), Green (2), and Black (1)
Width = Brown (3), White (2), and Green (1)
Speed = Orange (3) not listed (2) N/C (1)
Regen = Black (1), Grey (2), and Purple (3)

I think this is correct. Usually if I have to change rotation of a pot, I make the change on the schematic.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: armdnrdy on November 28, 2013, 07:57:18 PM
I took a look at the factory schematic for the wire colors and compared it to my redraw for the pot rotation.

Manual = Red (3), Green (2), and Black (1)
Width = Brown (3), White (2), and Green (1)
Speed = Orange (3) not listed (2) N/C (1)
Regen = Black (1), Grey (2), and Purple (3)

I think this is correct. Usually if I have to change rotation of a pot, I make the change on the schematic.

Larry...

The Speed pot does not make sense to me. It is wired as a variable resistor SO.... If Orange is on Lug 3, then doesn't that mean it could also be connected to Lug 2 (according to the factory schematic, it can be done)

Also, you list Lug 1 as N/C (not connected) but, shouldn't that be going to R19 (4K7)?

Could you look again and let me know please?  ;D

EDIT: Should it be Lug 2 (and possibly 3) is Orange and Lug 1 goes to R19 (4K7)   ???
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

armdnrdy

The factory schematic is incorrect.

The actual unit only uses two lugs. I'm trying to sort that out from a few different schematics.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: armdnrdy on November 28, 2013, 08:24:10 PM
The factory schematic is incorrect.

The actual unit only uses two lugs. I'm trying to sort that out from a few different schematics.

I know the factory units only use 2 wires (When i repair or build old modulation effects with this setup, I usually tie Lug 2 to the unused lug)

I know the Orange wire goes to Lug 2. What I need to know now is where R19 connects to... Is it Lug 3 or Lug 1?  :-\

armdnrdy

Okay...

It looks like the plot thickens!

I punched Federico's redrawn schematic into Eagle....years ago to make my board.

His schematic shows lug 2 connected to R19 and 3 connected to U5.

I looked at Madbean's drawing. Lug 1 goes to R19, lug 2 goes to U5 and lug 3 is N/C

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: armdnrdy on November 28, 2013, 08:37:02 PM
Okay...

It looks like the plot thickens!

I punched Federico's redrawn schematic into Eagle....years ago to make my board.

His schematic shows lug 2 connected to R19 and 3 connected to U5.

I looked at Madbean's drawing. Lug 1 goes to R19, lug 2 goes to U5 and lug 3 is N/C

Well... according to the factory schematic, Federico's is not correct.

Bean's however, could be right.

I guess we will see soon!!!  :icon_twisted:

armdnrdy

Mine works fine!

I'll have to revisit my build to see if I can get it to work even better?  ???

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: armdnrdy on November 28, 2013, 08:42:37 PM
Mine works fine!

I'll have to revisit my build to see if I can get it to work even better?  ???

Would appreciate if you could look at that and give me the deets!!  ;D

Happy Thanksgiving!!

StephenGiles

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all - this does look like an interesting problem!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Fender3D

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 28, 2013, 08:26:59 PM
I know the factory units only use 2 wires (When i repair or build old modulation effects with this setup, I usually tie Lug 2 to the unused lug)

I know the Orange wire goes to Lug 2. What I need to know now is where R19 connects to... Is it Lug 3 or Lug 1?  :-\

Sorry Greg,
I don't get the point here...
if you connect R19 to lug 1 you'll have speed rate increasing when you turn the pot CCW.. !?

And..
electronically speaking... there's no difference which resistor comes first in a circuit with 2 resistors in series...

BTW Happy Thanksgiving to you all, american mates
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

armdnrdy

Federico,

You are absolutely correct.

Both schematics are correct and achieve the same thing.

The speed pot has 4.7K of resistance between U5 pin 1 and 6 in both the CW or CCW positions.

Govmnt_Lacky

So.....

Orange wire to Lug 2 (and possibly 1)

R19 goes to Lug 3

Is this correct?

armdnrdy

Okay...

I opened my build up to verify the speed pot rotation.

Mine is connected as per Federico's schematic:

Lug 3 connected to U5 pin 1
Lug 2 connected to R19 (the other side of R19 to U5 pin 6)
Lug 1 N/C

This equated to the MXR factory schematic:

Lug 3 to R19 (the other side of R19 to U5 pin 6)
Lug 2 connected to U5 pin 1
Lug 1 N/C

Here's a drawing depicting the two:

You'll notice that in either configuration, the resistance is the same between U5 pin 1 & 6 in the CW and CCW positions.