Chasm Reverb Build Report

Started by KazooMan, November 29, 2013, 05:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KazooMan

My Belton Brick arrived and I had a go at Deadastronaut's Chasm Reverb.  Etching the board was a piece of cake thanks to the nice wide traces on the pattern DA provided.  Populated the board, using sockets for the ICs and transistors.  Now came the fun part.  How to do the off-board wiring.  I decided that I should attach all of the leads (twenty seven of them!) to the board, mount it in the box on a pair of standoffs, and then connect to the rest of the components.  Here's what that eventually looked like.

So far, so good.  Now where to mount the board and the brick?  There was plenty of room in the enclosure, but I wanted to keep things close by where they connect to the board.  I finally decided to mount the brick on a piece of perf board and to mount that on nylon standoffs over two of the pots.  The wires from the board pass through holes I drilled to provide strain relief and are then soldered to the pins of the brick.  The rest of the connections were made and this is the result.

Not too bad for so much off-board wiring, but it will still need a little tidying up.  I fired it up and as Deadaustronaut put it when referring to the wiring, "It works!".  First go, right out of the box.  I am used to the sound of a Fender spring reverb and this one is quite different.  It will be fun to play with.  I haven't decided on how to finish the enclosure.

Thanks to Deadastronaut for providing the details of the  pedal.  I promise that I will never mass produce and market the reverb. :icon_razz:

haveyouseenhim

You realize I hate you now, right? That wiring.................. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

deadastronaut

Cool build man. I put the brick on the pots too on my first build... 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Ice-9

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

KazooMan

Thanks to all for the kind words. 

The real thanks go to Deadastronaut for providing such a nice design to build.  I just wanted to confirm that it all comes together and works great as advertised in case anyone else was contemplating building their own.  The brick isn't cheap, and knowing that the layout is correct could make the investment easier.

gtangas

nice build

its a 1590BB?? my one is done and in the box to, long brick as yours, but i was a tight build...

therealfindo

wow, nice wiring! Are you using stranded or solid core wire? Do you measure? I usually just guess lengths, which is why my boxes look like the proverbial kanine breakfast.

KazooMan

Yes, it is the larger box.  I was a bit concerned about getting everything in a regular box.  Also, when I have the space I like to use the larger 24mm pots.  I think you get better control with them.

I didn't pre-measure precisely for the wiring.  The wires in the top picture are all a bit longer than necessary and were trimmed to length as needed.  I don't usually do this, but I was waiting for the box to arrive and wanted to populate the board.  I am certain that you have all had the itch to complete a pedal but were held back waiting for a few parts.  

Stranded wire from Smallbear.  The twisted leads help keep things a bit more orderly.  I haven't noticed any problems with signal or noise and if there is any problem due to capacitance I haven't seen it.  I take the desired number of wires and chuck one end in my drill and the other in a bench vise.  Pull hard and turn on the drill (slow speed)l.  Works great.  I usually make long pieces and cut off what I need.  I have a supply of 2-, 3- and 4- wire sets in a variety of colors ready to go.

I do need to go back and tidy up some of the single wire leads.