Any non PT2399 Delay?

Started by NBguitarist, December 05, 2013, 09:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allesz

Sadly (or was it just pure luck?) the last time I ordered some electronic parts I forgot to put analog delay chips in.

I did not say no filtering....but not complicated, nor active, filtering for sure.

And I did not say that I want to make a good delay, just a minumum parts count delay, the bare essentials.... ear how it sounds... and then get back to good delays  ;).

armdnrdy

Quote from: allesz on December 09, 2013, 05:24:07 PM

I wonder if it's possible to make an analog delay with a single v3205 (delay times around 300 ms), one transistor input buffer and one transistor output buffer, and a two trannies variable astable multivibrator to drive the delay chip; I think the buffers cab be made with a double op amp and the multivib vith a 555 (but I bet it would be too noisy with this IC). Probaly not a good gig delay but....

My comment was based on the exact contents of your post....not by what you may have been thinking.  :icon_idea:

I'm talented at some things but mindreading isn't one of them.  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

chromesphere

I have a DC timeline for long clean delays and I use my rebote / sea urchin for shorter delays or to complement the timeline (increased swells for example).  Just saying, they are two different animals in my opinion.  I would seriously buy I a good digital delay for longer / cleaner delay.  I don't think its worth the diy route personally.
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

deadastronaut

Quote from: chromesphere on December 10, 2013, 12:34:29 AM
longer / cleaner delay.  I don't think its worth the diy route personally.

i think your right, but i'm giving it a go anyway..i have 3 pt's in series and the delay 'clean-ness' is much better, i compared my rebote at max delay time  ad matched it to the 3pt's,

and its very nice, so much cleaner , i can get around 800-900ms comfortably and its still nice too, today i'm adding a 4th in series just for the hell of it while its on breadboard.... ;D

i have no idea of 'code' 'programming' etc...so its the suck it n see on breadboard method... ;)

ive sorted an lfo too, and tails...very nice. :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Renegadrian

[edit]
sorry wrong post.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

notnews32

So I stumbled across this IC the other day. It's a silicon- based IC with 5 delay taps. The delay times are in the nanosecond- magnitude arena, which means that using this chip would require either a multiplication of the delay times, or delaying each of the taps with a longer delay.

Though it's going to take a bit of circuit engineering wizardry to get this into a stompbox, I thought I'd post it here.. just in case here a wizard dwells:

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/DallasSemiconductor/mXvtyuw.pdf

ElectricDruid

Quote from: chromesphere on December 10, 2013, 12:34:29 AM
I have a DC timeline for long clean delays and I use my rebote / sea urchin for shorter delays or to complement the timeline (increased swells for example).  Just saying, they are two different animals in my opinion.  I would seriously buy I a good digital delay for longer / cleaner delay.  I don't think its worth the diy route personally.

I agree. If the aim is to get clean, bright delay and/or longer delay times, then you need to be looking at "proper" digital delays. And for digital delays there's no point going DIY (unless that floats your boat) because you can buy one for peanuts. FV-1 is one option, but if I just wanted a clean delay to play through, I'd buy one.

The PT-2399 and analog BBDs have their own character and with the right filtering can sound good and put you back in the 70s/80s, but they're never going to be hifi or described as "bright" or "clean". Different tools for different jobs.

2 cents,
Tom

allesz

I found out that a smaller cap between pins 9 and 10 of the pt2399 (I use 22nF instead of the usual 100nF - datasheet shows a 82nF IIRC) works really good in reducing the distortion on the repeats.... of course you will have to adjust other parts values here and there (mostly around pins 16-15 and 14-13). Maybe it won't be digital.... but at least a little bit better.

In the end I did a really simple non pt2399 delay and fully analog delay with just a 3205 a 3102 and a tl072.... I called it Echopathetic because it's quite limited but decent (provided you need just short slapbacks). Our good mate storyboardist has a nice site: http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/ with a great perf and pcb layout for the effect. On my build I just removed a 2,2nF cap and 4,7K resistor on the input network (an afterthought: pedals never sound the same home vs rehearsals  :icon_rolleyes:).
I really would like to try a version with two 3205 and, probably, two tl0712... it should get longer and better sounding... but it's a lot of breadboard work and I still like to just play guitar sometimes.

To make something better, that can rival digital units, you would need to use at least 2 pt2399 or more, and more components too, like deadastounaut did. It's a lot of work too.

I really think that is possible to get good results with the old pt2399, but since it needs some (a lot of!) work, and some space (forget 1590a enclosures!), you really must be a diehard diyer: digital units are really good sounding, silent and cheap today.