scatterbox... npn ge version of the HS Shatterbox

Started by pinkjimiphoton, December 11, 2013, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnk

I drew up a vero and built a Shatterbox using Electric Warrior's schematic and mine doesn't work at all. I used NOS 2N4061's in it and it barely makes even a tiny blip even with the boost on.
here's my vero layout of it:

if anyone sees any errors or has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

pinkjimiphoton

you need to contact electric warrior.

i found the shatterbox to totally sound like shit, that's why i made the scatterbox.
my layout i know works, cuz i built it.

i'd need to see the schematic to go over it, but check your wiring on the switches and shit
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

johnk

thanks Jimi.
here's the schematic (EW's) that I used:

pinkjimiphoton

.o1 is 10n, not 1n. that may be your problem. at 1n, it' not gonna let much signal thru.

scratch that..... nice lookin' layout. i'd check around the switches. use your continuity test, and check each connection.
compare node to node between schem and vero. i'd be willing to bet component failure or solder joint failure, maybe a bridge. does the fuzz and the treble booster work
independently? if so, it's definitely in the switching. i don't know if you can use the grounded board input like that on this circuit and get away with it.

can ya post pics of the actual build? both sides of the vero?
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

johnk

well, I've gone over it a zillion times now and I don't believe that there are any errors with my build (i.e. no shorted rows or cuts, and no faulty, or misplaced components, and I know that the switches are wired correctly).
I don't think that there should be a problem with the ground plane since it's just a simple positive grounded effect.
on my scope, there's no signal output at the 'fuzz out'. I haven't inserted a signal into the booster part to test it but I will later tonight.
I've built over 300 pedals now and this is a pretty simple build so i'm kinda surprised that i'm having issues with it.

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

you can do that, but ya may wanna check the voltage and post 'em first on the trannys.

if the biasing is way off, it could account for the issue, too... and is common. part numbers really mean nothing i've found. pinout and gain matter most.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

johnk

I tried it with three 2N3906's and it has the same result so I don't think that it's the trannys, but I DO think that it's the voltages.
I drew up a schematic and posted my voltages here:

pinkjimiphoton

just for shitz n grins, can ya sub in a trimmer on the collectors of q1 and 2? q3 looks more like what i'd expect.
check that 47k, i'm wondering if where the top side of the lead is bent, if it internally "decapitated".. it happens sometimes,
and can kill a perfectly otherwise good board.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

johnk

i just measured the 47K's value and continuity, and it's fine.
i'll try some trimmers next.

johnk

well, i installed two 50K trimmers and tried every setting with them but to no avail.

pinkjimiphoton

hmmmmm.... i know mine worked outta the gate
and all i did was use electric warrior's schematic. but i couldn't get it to work right til i moved the switching and pots around. did ya try the way i did it ?
if ya do, and it works, let me know.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr