sockets for J201?

Started by Toobgeek, December 30, 2013, 02:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toobgeek

What is the name of and/or where can I source, 3-pin straight across, sockets for J201 and similar components?

Thanks!!!

thelonious

I use SIP sockets (single inline sockets) and cut them apart. You can get them from lots of places - Small Bear, Mouser, Thaishine/Tayda, etc.

____
Edit: Oops, GGBB beat me to it!

Ice-9

Quote from: thelonious on December 30, 2013, 02:52:30 PM
I use SIP sockets (single inline sockets) and cut them apart. You can get them from lots of places - Small Bear, Mouser, Thaishine/Tayda, etc.

____
Edit: Oops, GGBB beat me to it!

That's dedication man ! It can't be easy to cut them down the centre. I don't use sockets myself as I prefer a soldered joint.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

thelonious

Quote from: Ice-9 on December 30, 2013, 03:07:41 PM
That's dedication man ! It can't be easy to cut them down the centre. I don't use sockets myself as I prefer a soldered joint.

It's really not bad at all! I just snip them at a plastic joint with a pair of wire cutters. Once I'm finished swapping components, I solder the final component into the socket. The only downside to that is that if you have to change a component later, it's a pain in the rear to desolder from the sockets...

PRR

You can also cut-up DIP sockets. There was a time that SIP was un-known, or un-common, and everybody had a 100-sack of DIP sockets.

Those SIPs cut easy with small wire-cutters or a sharp utility knife on a board, because they are nicked between contacts. DIPs aren't. You cut through the next *contact*. Yes, you lose 1 out of 4 contacts, but DIP sockets can be gotten very cheap (even the good machine-turned contacts).
  • SUPPORTER

Puguglybonehead

I use SIP sockets and cut them down. I get the longest ones I can find. (my local electronics places stock them) I definitely prefer socketing all my transistors. My success rate with projects has increased significantly since switching to socketing all trannies. Ever since I got my Solomon soldering station, I've been Mr. Overkill when it comes to soldering.  :icon_redface: The sockets help idiot-proof the work.  ;D

tubegeek

Welcome Toobgeek!

Kind of a shame about your monicker though.... I suppose "tubegeek" must've been taken already?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

tranceracer

I also use SIP sockets for transistors but I strip off the plastic and just use the metal insides so they will fit in the transistor part on the PCB.

If they are too close just bend them slightly so they have space between the rim of the socket.

pinkjimiphoton

i really like the machined 6 pin ic sockets... can usually be had surplus for a song, and ya just chop 'em in half.

they seem to hold up better than the usual sip socket strips.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

davent

I've always found the sip sockets pretty floppy for repeated inserting and removal of components when they sit so high up above the board on the spindly little pins. For test points i've always sunk the individual socket into the pcb and am doing that for transistors on the next pcb's i'm readying.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

tranceracer

davent, Very cool idea!  I'll need to try this on my next diy pcb!

thelonious

Quote from: davent on January 04, 2014, 08:51:46 PM
sunk the individual socket into the pcb

Nice! And what is this thing you are making? The pics are intriguing. Regulated isolated power supplies?

davent

Thanks and Yes, nine hole Spyder.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg