could we use lithium batterys?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, December 30, 2013, 05:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

instead of 9v?

i've been wondering, seems like a couple coin cells would take up a lot less space and last for years in, say, a fuzzface or something.

could make smaller pedals without having to cram a 9v in there.

is it worth pursuing/ trying?

any caveats or anything?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pappasmurfsharem

What is the capacity of the coin cells? I can't imagine it's much.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

pinkjimiphoton

i don't know, i know usually they're about 3.6v or so. i was thinking three of them in series with a 9v regulator would take up a lot less space than a 9v.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Seljer

Voltage is voltage so in that regard circuits will work (and effect pedal usually don't have any obscure requirements like high current draw).
A standard 9v has around 500mAh. Wikipedia say a CR2032 coin cell has about 200mAh (at 3V) so thats not much to go from. If you stack three of them, the charge doesn't add up when you wire them in series.

But still, I don't think I've seen anyone make a tiny lithium powered Maestro FZ1  ;D

pinkjimiphoton

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/Panasonic_Lithium_CR2032_CR2330.pdf

hmmmm.... data sheet says 225-265 mah, but only .2ma continuous. that's like way less than i expected it to be!!

if i'm reading that right, that's 2/10ths of a milliamp!!

amazed it's enough current to do much of anything with.

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

Which is why they are typically used in gadgets that draw very little current.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on December 30, 2013, 05:58:11 PM
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/includes/pdf/Panasonic_Lithium_CR2032_CR2330.pdf

hmmmm.... data sheet says 225-265 mah, but only .2ma continuous. that's like way less than i expected it to be!!

if i'm reading that right, that's 2/10ths of a milliamp!!

amazed it's enough current to do much of anything with.

I have 2x 2000mAh 18650 batteries for my Mechanical ECIG that would work they are around 4.2v on a full charge you aren't really saving any space then, but they would last a while.
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

pinkjimiphoton

diggit, i was just hoping there may be a way to stack 'em up to squeeze into a really small box.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

waltk

You can get PCB-mount battery holders for these (search "CR2032 battery holder" on ebay), but most of them only hold one battery.  Some hold 2 batteries - I haven't seen a 3-battery holder, but they're probably out there. 

I like the rechargeable single-cell lithium batteries with a booster like this http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105414.0.

nomorebetts

Solderman's Fuzz Face build "Pink Noise" on his page; http://solderman.fatabur.se/Mini_effects.html
uses 3x3V lithium cells 75 mAh each which produces 12.6V together.
I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...

pinkjimiphoton

i wasn't meaning cr2032 per se, just the first one that came to mind cuz they use them in a lot of boss/roland memory backup circuits.

i was thinking the little tiny watch sized ones, where 3 would be about 1/3rd the size of a AA battery.

thanks for the links, too! checkin' 'em out now...
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

waltk

Quotei was thinking the little tiny watch sized ones, where 3 would be about 1/3rd the size of a AA battery.

Ahhh. A lot of those small ones are only 1.5V - but you could stack 6 of them to make a 9V battery.  Here's a great link that shows all their sizes, voltages, and capacity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

You can DIY them into a battery by stacking them inside some heat-shrink tubing.  You just need to find/make some kind of clip for holding the wires on either end.

pinkjimiphoton

thanks walt! but after reading some of the links posted, i don't know if it would be worth it.
i'll read up on 'em tho....thanks man!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

petey twofinger

very cool idea .

i was thinking about this a while back but with an onboard circuit , in the guitar , hiding the battery in the input jack housing , so it would be simple to remove .

could it be rechargable ?
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself